No announcement yet.

Overdrive not kicking in - 1950 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solenoid pushes. It pushes a pawl, which is a 3/4 by 3/4 inch slug of hardened steel, with a bevel on one end, into a notched wheel to stop it. The end engaged by the solenoid has an external groove on one side, and a cross hole with a slot. The solenoid has a ball end on its plunger, with two flats, and you can rotate the solenoid about a quarter turn, to either engage it in the pawl, or withdraw it. The overdrive shift rail passes under the above-mentioned groove in the pawl, and if a a milled flat on the shift rail lines up with the groove on the pawl, the solenoid is free to push the pawl in. Should even the tiniest part of the full diameter of the shift rail line up with the pawl, it is blocked from moving.

You could undo the bolts retaining the solenoid, turn it about 1/4 turn to the left, and remove it. Then place a flat-blade screwdriver in the slot in the pawl, and twist it firmly. That will give you a grip on the solenoid, and you should be able to push it in, and pull it out. It should move at least a half-inch. And you can observe the effect of the OD shift rail.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

BTW, when I get to 30 MPH, I can watch the ammeter and as soon as the governor sends the signal, I can see a flicker on the ammeter needle. You'll have to go a little faster though because when you let off the gas to let the overdrive kick in, the car will loose some speed, and the governor may kick back out.

Comment

They say it's darkest before the dawn. Right now it's really, really dark under my car. Here is the farthest I can separate the OD module from the transmission. I'm probably going to end up pulling the entire transmission but even then I need to know how to disassemble the OD from the rest of the transmission. Does anyone have any experience with transmission work? And when it's separated, what am I looking for? How will I determine the cause of the OD not engaging?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1717185
        Attached Files
        Chuck

1950 Commander Starlight Regal Deluxe
        1954 Ford Custom Coupe
        1969 Datsun Roadster 2000

Comment

You need to drive out the taper pin that retains the OD lockout lever in the housing, and pull the lockout lever shaft out about a half-inch or so. That will permit the OD housing to slide off the stacked parts inside.

I much prefer to do this job with the entire transmission out and on the bench.

Comment

I have the OD housing pulled off and now I need some help understanding where I go from here. The OD lockout shaft does not return to the OD position. It appears to be stuck or is there a spring missing? Two photos are shown below with the OD lockout shaft in both positions.
            Attached Files
            Chuck

1954 Ford Custom Coupe

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1717209Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1717210
              Chuck

1954 Ford Custom Coupe

Comment

The spring is in the rear housing you removed. It's a compression spring, and bears against the shoulder on the OD shift rail that's about even with the rear of the planet carrier in the pics. The spring usually stays put in the rear housing, unless you mess with it. That brown-tinted oil kind of looks like it might be contaminated with water.

Comment

The spring is indeed missing and I am ordering a new one from a Studebaker parts supplier. I used a spare 6 volt battery to actuate the solenoid and it appears to be working correctly when the OD lockout shaft is positioned in the OD position. I'll install the spring and reassemble. Can someone tell me how in keep the 12 roller bearings in place while I reassemble. I did find what appeared to be a thin rubber band in the transmission. Do I use a rubber band to hold them in place?
                  Chuck

1954 Ford Custom Coupe

Comment

....and it looks like someone performed a "flash" paint job all over (including solenoid)...that may suggest a troubled OD unit that may or may not have been properly attended to, and simply painted on the bench (maybe left out parts).......just wondering...

Comment

Yes, that is the method: hold the rollers in with a rubber band. The band has to be tight enough that you can rotate the cage so that the rollers go in to the bottom of their ramps and stay there while you assemble.

Comment

In terms of operation, when i have the OD lockout shaft in the OD position, I cannot place the transmission into reverse. I the shaft pushed back against the missing spring when selecting reverse? Or do you have to pull out the OD handle under the dash when selecting reverse? And then push the handle back in when getting into 2nd gear? Never had one of these transmissions and still a bit confused on how they work. (I painted the transmission as it was a bit rusty when I got the car.)
                        Chuck

1954 Ford Custom Coupe

Comment

You shouldn't have to pull out the OD handle to shift to reverse. That's taken care of inside the tranny by the reverse lockout shaft.

As far as painting over rust, I went to the Dollar Tree store and bought two cans of oven cleaner. This has the same stuff the shops used in hot tanks to clean engines, and it removes a lot of rust. I sprayed my Model A engine with it, wrapped it in a large plastic bag for a day, then rinsed with hot water and blow dried it so it didn't get flash rusting.

Comment

I've installed the spring and reassembled the transmission. I'm now bench testing the transmission and it now free wheels in with the OD engaged. I don't believe this is different from when I pulled the transmission. The car always felt like the transmission was engaged to the engine, with the engine being driven by the transmission while coasting. Now I can turn the output shaft in one direction and hold the input shaft. Unfortunately, when I energize the solenoid with a spare 6 volt car battery, the solenoid does make a sound but nothing seems different. The ratio between the input and output shafts are the same and it still "free wheels". Any suggestions?!?!
                            Chuck

1954 Ford Custom Coupe

Comment

I admire your persistence. When you finally solve the issue, you will be the local expert on the problem.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Correction: I've installed the spring and reassembled the transmission. I'm now bench testing the transmission and it now free wheels in with the OD engaged. I do believe this is different from when I pulled the transmission. The car always felt like the transmission was engaged to the engine, with the engine being driven by the transmission while coasting. Now I can turn the output shaft in one direction and hold the input shaft. Unfortunately, when I energize the solenoid with a spare 6 volt car battery, the solenoid does make a sound but nothing seems different. The ratio between the input and output shafts are the same and it still "free wheels". Any suggestions?!?!
                                Chuck

1954 Ford Custom Coupe

Comment

Working...
                                X