Garage find 61 4 door sitting since 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage find 61 4 door sitting since 75

A couple of weeks ago I found a garage find , a 1961 4 door and was parked in the garage in 1975 car is a 259 V-8 with auto no power S/B. Car has 48 k original miles and the engine is stuck but no water in the oil and that is a good thing. nest week I will be picking it up and bring to shop to start getting it back on the road, new tires, brakes, free engine, clean gas tank all the things that can go bad when sitting this long, body is nice, interior original and still good, dash perfect, my guess no rust under side as it is a California car all it's life and inside most of it's life. The only thing I could see from my first and only go around is that both tail lights are off and broken so will be in the market for a pair so any one that has some let me know, thanks........Bob 510-266-2522
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

How do you find these things?
    Looking forward to some photos.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice find! In my experience, it always seems that the lens are gone, broken, or that the tail light openings were modified to accept "more common" 1960 lark lenses. The lenses are a 1 year make and are usually pretty expensive. I saw a NOS pair on eBay sell for $270 a couple of months ago. Happy building, looking forward to some pictures.
      1947 Studebaker M-5
      1946 Studebaker M-5
      1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
      1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
      1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        I'll bet that many find him. One of our chapter members drives an old car most of the time. He has had people tell him about free or very cheap Studebakers numerous times. Usually they aren't particularly desirable models, but occasionally he finds a gem.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice car. I bought a 1961 Regal sedan with 259 and automatic early in 1964. It was Cathy's everyday car for years. We both liked it. Is the one that you are getting a Regal? Ours was light blue. What color is this one. I used to have many 1961 tail lights, but I do not believe that I have any left. They were reproduced, but not exactly, a couple of times.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A BIG difference in my opinion on " '61 4 door Sedan Larks", between a: Deluxe, a Regal and a Cruiser.

Even though in '61-'62 the Regal is BARELY distinguishable on the OUTSIDE from the Deluxe.

A HUGE mistake IMHO, Sales of '59 & '60 Regals, HAD to be MUCH better than the POOR showing in '61-'62.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Green White Regal 4Dr2.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1717112 The "C" Pillar "Lark" Emblem, the Drip Rail Moulding and the Standard Dual Headlights were the ONLY Exterior Clue to a "Regal".

Since Dual Headlights WERE an Option on Deluxe's, even that does not work to tell them apart.

I wonder why some people never reset their Signature to an acceptable Photo or None, to elliminate the HUGE nothings taking up a large space on their Signature?

I try to remember to delete my signature in multiple Posts on the same string, to rid the strings of "Unnecessary stuff".
            In "Go Advanced" mode, there is an option to turn OFF "Show Your Signature".
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-09-2017, 03:33 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Howdy Bob, I'm happy to hear that you are still buying Studebakers. I hope you can share photos of it.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob can smell Studebakers a mile away......
                Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

Pictures please, Bob! We love barn finds, even other folks!

Comment

The '61 Regals also had the stainless rocker panel mouldings and windshield and rear window surround mouldings. You could get the windshield trim as part of the Regal accessory pack for Deluxe models. The trim around the grille mesh was also only available on the Regals.
                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    A BIG difference in my opinion on " '61 4 door Sedan Larks", between a: Deluxe, a Regal and a Cruiser.

Even though in '61-'62 the Regal is BARELY distinguishable on the OUTSIDE from the Deluxe.

A HUGE mistake IMHO, Sales of '59 & '60 Regals, HAD to be MUCH better than the POOR showing in '61-'62.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68423[/ATTACH] The "C" Pillar "Lark" Emblem, the Drip Rail Moulding and the Standard Dual Headlights were the ONLY Exterior Clue to a "Regal".

Since Dual Headlights WERE an Option on Deluxe's, even that does not work to tell them apart.

I wonder why some people never reset their Signature to an acceptable Photo or None, to elliminate the HUGE nothings taking up a large space on their Signature?

I try to remember to delete my signature in multiple Posts on the same string, to rid the strings of "Unnecessary stuff".
                    In "Go Advanced" mode, there is an option to turn OFF "Show Your Signature".

Comment

Over the years I have hundreds of Studebaker's but never really got into what one really was except if it was a 2 door or a 4 door so once I get it to the shop I will take some pictures but since photo bucket took a Sh.... I can not post pictures here on the forum, I can e-mail them to someone and they can transfer them here, this is not a barn find but a garage find big difference between the two.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

You mentioned the Lark doesn't have power steering. They really aren't that hard to steer without it anyway. In fact the owner's manual on my 59' and 60' Larks states that should the power steering fail the car will steer the same as a Lark without it. Try that with a modern car!

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          /Cut/I can not post pictures here on the forum, I can e-mail them to someone and they can transfer them here, this is not a barn find but a garage find big difference between the two.
                          Just save them to your Computer and "Paste" them on a Forum Post.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob, send the pix to me. I'll post them here.

-- Scott
                            64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Originally posted by scottsewall View Post
                              Bob, send the pix to me. I'll post them here.

-- Scott
                              nice seeing you yesterday Scott, not sure what day I will bring home but will send them to you.
                              Candbstudebakers
                              Castro Valley,
                              California

Comment

Working...
                              X