Thread: Garage find 61 4 door sitting since 75

Silver Hawk Member

Garage find 61 4 door sitting since 75

A couple of weeks ago I found a garage find , a 1961 4 door and was parked in the garage in 1975 car is a 259 V-8 with auto no power S/B. Car has 48 k original miles and the engine is stuck but no water in the oil and that is a good thing. nest week I will be picking it up and bring to shop to start getting it back on the road, new tires, brakes, free engine, clean gas tank all the things that can go bad when sitting this long, body is nice, interior original and still good, dash perfect, my guess no rust under side as it is a California car all it's life and inside most of it's life. The only thing I could see from my first and only go around is that both tail lights are off and broken so will be in the market for a pair so any one that has some let me know, thanks........Bob 510-266-2522
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    How do you find these things?
    Looking forward to some photos.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    Nice find! In my experience, it always seems that the lens are gone, broken, or that the tail light openings were modified to accept "more common" 1960 lark lenses. The lenses are a 1 year make and are usually pretty expensive. I saw a NOS pair on eBay sell for $270 a couple of months ago. Happy building, looking forward to some pictures.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    I'll bet that many find him. One of our chapter members drives an old car most of the time. He has had people tell him about free or very cheap Studebakers numerous times. Usually they aren't particularly desirable models, but occasionally he finds a gem.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Golden Hawk Member
    Nice car. I bought a 1961 Regal sedan with 259 and automatic early in 1964. It was Cathy's everyday car for years. We both liked it. Is the one that you are getting a Regal? Ours was light blue. What color is this one. I used to have many 1961 tail lights, but I do not believe that I have any left. They were reproduced, but not exactly, a couple of times.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

A BIG difference in my opinion on " '61 4 door Sedan Larks", between a: Deluxe, a Regal and a Cruiser.

Even though in '61-'62 the Regal is BARELY distinguishable on the OUTSIDE from the Deluxe.

A HUGE mistake IMHO, Sales of '59 & '60 Regals, HAD to be MUCH better than the POOR showing in '61-'62.

Green White Regal 4Dr2.JPG The "C" Pillar "Lark" Emblem, the Drip Rail Moulding and the Standard Dual Headlights were the ONLY Exterior Clue to a "Regal".

Since Dual Headlights WERE an Option on Deluxe's, even that does not work to tell them apart.

I wonder why some people never reset their Signature to an acceptable Photo or None, to elliminate the HUGE nothings taking up a large space on their Signature?

I try to remember to delete my signature in multiple Posts on the same string, to rid the strings of "Unnecessary stuff".
    In "Go Advanced" mode, there is an option to turn OFF "Show Your Signature".
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-09-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Howdy Bob, I'm happy to hear that you are still buying Studebakers. I hope you can share photos of it.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Bob can smell Studebakers a mile away......
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Pictures please, Bob! We love barn finds, even other folks!

President Member
    The '61 Regals also had the stainless rocker panel mouldings and windshield and rear window surround mouldings. You could get the windshield trim as part of the Regal accessory pack for Deluxe models. The trim around the grille mesh was also only available on the Regals.
    Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    A BIG difference in my opinion on " '61 4 door Sedan Larks", between a: Deluxe, a Regal and a Cruiser.

Even though in '61-'62 the Regal is BARELY distinguishable on the OUTSIDE from the Deluxe.

A HUGE mistake IMHO, Sales of '59 & '60 Regals, HAD to be MUCH better than the POOR showing in '61-'62.

Green White Regal 4Dr2.JPG The "C" Pillar "Lark" Emblem, the Drip Rail Moulding and the Standard Dual Headlights were the ONLY Exterior Clue to a "Regal".

Since Dual Headlights WERE an Option on Deluxe's, even that does not work to tell them apart.

I wonder why some people never reset their Signature to an acceptable Photo or None, to elliminate the HUGE nothings taking up a large space on their Signature?

I try to remember to delete my signature in multiple Posts on the same string, to rid the strings of "Unnecessary stuff".
    In "Go Advanced" mode, there is an option to turn OFF "Show Your Signature".

Silver Hawk Member
    Over the years I have hundreds of Studebaker's but never really got into what one really was except if it was a 2 door or a 4 door so once I get it to the shop I will take some pictures but since photo bucket took a Sh.... I can not post pictures here on the forum, I can e-mail them to someone and they can transfer them here, this is not a barn find but a garage find big difference between the two.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

President Member
    You mentioned the Lark doesn't have power steering. They really aren't that hard to steer without it anyway. In fact the owner's manual on my 59' and 60' Larks states that should the power steering fail the car will steer the same as a Lark without it. Try that with a modern car!

Quote Originally Posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    /Cut/I can not post pictures here on the forum, I can e-mail them to someone and they can transfer them here, this is not a barn find but a garage find big difference between the two.
    Just save them to your Computer and "Paste" them on a Forum Post.

Commander Member
    Bob, send the pix to me. I'll post them here.

-- Scott
    64 Avanti R1 R5529

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsewall View Post
    Bob, send the pix to me. I'll post them here.

-- Scott
    nice seeing you yesterday Scott, not sure what day I will bring home but will send them to you.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

What's the deal with photobucket. If I do what it says so I can see the pictures will it cost me money or aggravation?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    What's the deal with photobucket. If I do what it says so I can see the pictures will it cost me money or aggravation?
    You will have the JOY of getting BOTH! Just... RUN, Run, run!

Go with your OWN Computer for Free!

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    I haven't been successful at uploading pictures to this forum for quite a few years, certainly not since the new platform. Often I open a new album on Facebook for pictures now. However, if I can remember the name of it, I did open a new account on a host server for this. Problem is, now I can't remember which it is...
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Silver Hawk Member
    My real problem is I need help getting started with new things, with out some one sitting down at my computer and showing so I can make a cheat sheet Iam lost, Dick when are you going to be in the area again?
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

There are alternatives, like www.flickr.com. Second party hosting allowed, and no freaking pop ups of financial extortion. I have notice the price dropped on photobucket from 499 to 399.. Just say no to them.

PB also use to allow a full album download, but they took that away, now if you want your photos back you have to click on each one and "save image.'

Over the years I have hundreds of Studebaker's but never really got into what one really was except if it was a 2 door or a 4 door so once I get it to the shop I will take some pictures but since photo bucket took a Sh.... I can not post pictures here on the forum, I can e-mail them to someone and they can transfer them here, this is not a barn find but a garage find big difference between the two.

OK....what did you pay for it?

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Flickr! Ah... That's it!!

Computer process instruction writing was my specialty for almost twenty years. I did step-by-step simple instructions for Data processing personnel. Three employers hired me solely for this skill.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Golden Hawk Member Dick Steinkamp's Avatar
    My real problem is I need help getting started with new things, with out some one sitting down at my computer and showing so I can make a cheat sheet Iam lost, Dick when are you going to be in the area again?
    No plans in the immediate future, Bob, but Turlock at the latest. I'll be sure to carve out some time so we can catch up and set up a new photo album for posting pics.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Amen.....me too!
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Speedster Member
    Bob, I can show you next time I come down. Justin

It's easy to post a picture directly from your computer; even I can do it, no small feat I assure you.

(1) In the reply or quick reply box (where you make a post) just click the picture of the tree (it's the one in the middle here).
    IMG_3350.jpg

You get this small screen.
    IMG_3351.jpg

(2) click "from computer" you get this screen.
    IMG_3353.jpg

(3) click "choose file" it takes you to your pictures file.
    (4) click a picture to highlight it, then click open, the small screen returns.
    IMG_3354.jpg

(5) click "upload file(s)" it's directly below the box for "choose file" and your picture is posted.

Viola' (it's a little slow uploading)
    IMG_3326.jpg

Only problem I've had is most pictures I take with my phone will post upside down on this forum; and only this forum.
    Last edited by bensherb; 11-14-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Silver Hawk Member
    The garage find is now at my shop, one reason a garage find is different from a barn find is garage is more secure from weather and rodents, remember this car was parked in the garage after the owners wife passed away in 1975 it was her car. the car has just over 48K miles, all tire were flat,no fluid in the master cyl. engine stuck but no water in oil. the engine and transmission never leaked on the floor in all this time. First we put air in the tires and all held air, then we pushed it out of the garage and the brakes worked packing it down the drive way, we pushed it around and put it on the trailer for the ride home 30 miles. when we got it to the shop we took the keys from my 62 GT and opened the trunk nothing there except original spare tire ,jack and floor mat and wheel cover, clean and in perfect shape. we removed the old battery and it was sitting on plastic so the lower area was also untouched. we pulled the plugs and put Marvell mystery oil to soak for a couple of day then we will work on freeing the engine, my guess it will be no problem.
    Items that came with the title is the original like brand new 61 accessories book and window price sticker. the car was sold new at G.A.Baer in Palo Alto, Ca. it is 61V W 4 Dlx 8 4 dr sedan and is desert sand in color. and not many accessories with at total price of $2719.00, pictures will come after I have time to take some today. car is clean and original garage find not dirty and rat ridden barn find. will be getting new tires tomorrow .
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Bob. you had best check because if a Studebaker didn't leak any oil that means it's out of oil. Sounds like a great find.

Golden Hawk Member
    A plain/basic Deluxe sedan, not a nicer Regal or Cruiser. The condition is what makes it something special (and the V8).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

President Member cultural infidel's Avatar
    Imgur.com is also another great image hosting site and free. Been using it for years.

Looking forward to seeing your new Lark!!

Smile Not that hard to salvage images from Photobucket, then post on SDC Forum

Regarding the problems with Photobucket, I don't blame anyone for not paying the $399. I have not paid them ANYTHING, EVER!! Their web site is very buggy using Internet Explorer or Edge, but I had minimal problems using Google's "Chrome" on my Windows 10 laptop, upgraded from Windows "Vista". I have no idea what some of the earlier posted computer screen images are from, maybe an old Radio Shack <g> or Apple <g><g> computer. I just opened my library of 387 images after logging in on a fresh photobucket.com screen (not a "favorite" or "bookmark") and right click on the image I want, select save "Save image as.." which opens up a "This PC < Desktop" window and I can then "save" and name the image whatever I want. Although I have thousands of photos of cars on my laptop, backed up on a desktop as well as on an external hard drive, the photo posted below were downloaded from Photobucket.

Then, just go to SDC Forum, pull up the selected post, click "Reply", then click "Go Advanced", which brings up a "Manage Attachments" box in the middle of the new screen. Click it, bringing up "File Upload Manager", bringing up "Upload Manager", then click "Add Files", then "Browse", which should take you to your "Pictures" window or "Desktop", you choose which, then select the file or photo you want, and click "Upload". From then on, it will post the photos in the order you select, and save them for future use. This way I have saved several hundred photos on the Forum's "Upload Manager". Of course, this assumes some knowledge of using your computer or smart phone (I also have a Google Android phone, but this would probably also work with an Apple IPhone <g><g><g>. I hope this helps. I did not uncheck "Show your signature", so you can also see my 10 below zero shot of my Avanti when I returned it from the paint shop. Sorry about using so much space to the right. Rich.

57 Presidend.jpg64 Convertible.jpg
    Last edited by jnfweber; 11-18-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Jack, in Montana

Silver Hawk Member
    I am basically done with Photobucket. I have no need to "retrieve" my photos from there, as they all exist in some form in my own storage. If anybody here needs the photos that I made to accompany posts over the years here, just shoot me a private message, and I will try to find them. I have them mostly "organized" (heh) by date and topic.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Silver Hawk Member
    Yesterday day was a good day on the 61, got the new 5 tires back to the shop all white walls, cleaned the hub caps all look great, after the engine sat with Marvell mystery oil since Tue. I figured it was time to try and turn the crank, I held the fan belt and pushed on the fan and it turned with ease, so we raised the hoist and drained the pan what came out was rather thick and gooey so when it was all out we put in 2 qt.'s of ATF to sit over night and will drain that out today. we opened the gas tank at the sender area and found about 2 inches of good gas still in the tank, gas that was in there since 1975, we will drain it out but it would still run the engine if we tried, this is the 2nd car that I have found over the years with good gas still in there from 1975, my guess is that the old gas was sealed so good that it stayed good, the body is cleaning up really nice and the original paint has lots of shine left, pictures after we clean it and get it back on the ground.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

It sure is amazing how much better the gas of the 70's was than the crap they push on us now.

In the late 70's I bought a 1952 Champion that some farmer parked in his pasture, just because he bought a new car and decided to quit driving this one. After I got it home I tried to start it, but found the fuel line between the tank and pump was blocked solid. I even rigged up an adaptor to use my grease gun to pump back toward the tank. Even with the grease gun's 2000 + PSI, I couldn't clear the line, so I just hung a small can of gas off the hood, and the engine ran like new.