Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Turning Wheels format

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtruk View Post
    Go ahead and take your personal shots at me now.
    Just a friendly reminder: any personal shots will be deleted and an infraction issued to the poster.

All our conversations should be without rancor.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Who cares. ? If it saves SDC money, thats a good thing. Maybe they can use some of that money to attract new members, or to set up /promote the Zone Meets and International Meets better. At this point, it is about exposure, serious exposure and maybe even cross- promotion of the club and the marque. (share meets with other clubs whenever possible) Sharing a meet with other clubs works so very well, I have been at 'mixed meets' with very good results........

(S)
    Building Studes you have not read about... yet.

(S), that's the intent to do just that attract new members. As for Zone Meets that's a possibility but it takes a local chapter to step up and host one to make work.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avantidon View Post
    I am the one who has been working on this project for just over two years. I have spent an inordinate amount on time researching all aspects of this change. The conclusion has been it is necessary not only because of change within the printing industry but also because of change in our demographics as a club. It is our hope that one of the changes we will see is an increase in membership because our award winning publication has been modernized and brought up to date as a Car Club publication.

Mr. Grump One, you are correct on your assumptions from the technical side. In the past we had to wait 8-12 hours for the ink to dry before we could collate the pages which was the third press run we incurred. Now we are down to only one run and a considerable time savings of about 21/2 days. There is more technical stuff but I will not bore you with it.

John, your idea of a column "Blast from the Past" is an excellent idea and one that will be considered now that we have all back issues through 2016 on a handy dandy flash drive. Thanks for the suggestion.

Howard, we are a car club, a BIG one. Because of that we have the obligation to our members, including you, to run it as business to ensure our future and not become a memory of what had been. That has been the goal of the current board and will be the goal for the future, ensuring we position ourselves for growth, prosperity and happiness.

Thank you all for your responses and support as we move forward on this adventure.

Don,

Thank you for your efforts and time in getting this together. It was a process and a long one with lots of considerations. I have listened to Don go over the details on this project, and how many details had to be considered and dealt with in making this work, and work right. He has done an excellent job. I have learned a lot about how our magazine is produced, and it's no easy task. Jane Stinson has calculated the accounting savings, and Anne will have some extra time to work on the magazine, or actually take some time for Anne. (What a concept). This was handled as a business decision without sacrificing creativity, or the tradition of some great articles. It gives this Club an opportunity to go to the next level with our benchmark magazine.

Modernizing a really great magazine is something that needed to happen. I will anxiously wait for the new edition. Thanks to everyone that gave the time. Remember, most of these people are doing this for free, or not getting paid anywhere near the going rate for their specialty, and I for one, am glad that they have chosen to give their time to this Club. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Bob Henning; 11-09-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Hey...think of this! Not long ago, if you wanted to phone someone, you had to go into a room, find the phone table, pick up the handset, dial the number & hope someone is there to answer the phone...

What was the inconceivable or imaginary "future" then, is today's reality. So...hang on to your hats...it might not be long 'till you can get get your "TURNING WHEELS," and turn it up for "Portrait," or on its side for "Landscape,"...like we do today's iPhone.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Hey...think of this! Not long ago, if you wanted to phone someone, you had to go into a room, find the phone table, pick up the handset, dial the number & hope someone is there to answer the phone...

What was the inconceivable or imaginary "future" then, is today's reality. So...hang on to your hats...it might not be long 'till you can get get your "TURNING WHEELS," and turn it up for "Portrait," or on its side for "Landscape,"...like we do today's iPhone.
    The same could be said about sending a photo to someone far away.

Forty years ago, it could have taken two weeks to send photos to your relatives, friends, etc., and took a bit of outlay of cash. First, one had to buy some film, take the photo(s), then off to the drug store to have the film developed and wait for a week with your fingers crossed the photos turned out okay. Provided they did, and you wanted to send several copies, you paid extra for reprints, and then spent more cash for envelopes, and stamps, and waited another week, again with fingers crossed that the post office either didn`t lose or bend it all to sh*t on its way to the recipient. FINALLY, in due time, they got their pictures.

Fast-forward to today where one can send a decent quality photo via their phone anywhere in the world in two seconds, vs two weeks. Not to mention, one can instantly tell how well the photo turned out.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 11-09-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Henning View Post
    Don,

Thank you for your efforts and time in getting this together. It was a process and a long one with lots of considerations. I have listened to Don go over the details on this project, and how many details had to be considered and dealt with in making this work, and work right. He has done an excellent job. I have learned a lot about how our magazine is produced, and it's no easy task. Jane Stinson has calculated the accounting savings, and Anne will have some extra time to work on the magazine, or actually take some time for Anne. (What a concept). This was handled as a business decision without sacrificing creativity, or the tradition of some great articles. It gives this Club an opportunity to go to the next level with our benchmark magazine.

Modernizing a really great magazine is something that needed to happen. I will anxiously wait for the new edition. Thanks to everyone that gave the time. Remember, most of these people are doing this for free, or not getting paid anywhere near the going rate for their specialty, and I for one, am glad that they have chosen to give their time to this Club. Thanks again.
    Good points all the way around, Bob. Well-stated.

I am especially pleased that Ann Turner's load will be lightened; every work day for her will be a little easier, a tad less hectic and demanding. No one deserves it more.

Simply stated, there are no negatives to this change; not one; "it's all good." It makes better use of SDC's resources, which will allow us to continue publishing a high-quality club periodical longer than we would have been able, had we continued with the old format.

It cannot be denied that our club, our hobby, is aging. While we have newer, younger members coming in, they aren't entering either ours or any other "old car" hobby at the same high rate as are those who are aging out. We are fortunate to have technology on our side, allowing us to produce a higher-quality publication with today's expected color throughout, for less money than the old product.

You could go blind trying to find "what's wrong with this picture?" because there isn't anything!

Again, thanks to all who made it happen. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    I am especially pleased that Ann Turner's load will be lightened; every work day for her will be a little easier, a tad less hectic and demanding. No one deserves it more.
    Definitely a step in the right direction. This will give Ann more free time to attend and cover more Studebaker meets. She was missed at the Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet last August which we hosted.

Craig

I think overall it's a good move, but is the change in orientation necessary? Could it be left horizontal and still get the savings in money and time? It's questions like these that could/should have been asked before a final decision was made. Maybe they were asked, but with the way it was done, we may never know.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Quote Originally Posted by raoul5788 View Post
    I think overall it's a good move, but is the change in orientation necessary? Could it be left horizontal and still get the savings in money and time? It's questions like these that could/should have been asked before a final decision was made. Maybe they were asked, but with the way it was done, we may never know.
    As stated before, it creates problems for mainstream advertisers who do their ads in a vertical format.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Bob P.- Perhaps I am missing something. How are we going to do this (enjoin)?
    From my favorite American College Dictionary:

Enjoin: "...to order or direct (a person, etc.) to do something; to prescribe (a course of action, etc.) with authority or emphasis."

Simply, I am encouraging others to get on board, Gary. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Quote: You could go blind trying to find "what's wrong with this picture?" because there isn't anything!

Attachment 68398

I guess this is an early production car with the panel fit issues I've read about.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtruk View Post
    Quote: You could go blind trying to find "what's wrong with this picture?" because there isn't anything!

Attachment 68398

I guess this is an early production car with the panel fit issues I've read about.
    Funny, Kurt, but we all know how a magazine in that format can be laid down tight and hard and the gap become almost indistinguishable. BP

Ayn Rand:

Speedster Member
    No personal shots from me. I liked the landscape format well enough to pay more each year, to cover the cost difference. I don't remember seeing that listed as an option though. You are correct about the quality in the example. Good enough for a throw away monthly car magazine, but not really something you want to archive. I guess they feel that archives are easier to do on digital, in this century.

President Member
    If we're ever to put Turning Wheels on-line...well...I've got a horizontal-format screen, as do most.

Approximately 10,000 Turning Wheels (conservatively) published each month. $15,000 annual savings. You do the math for savings per issue.

J.C. Taylor (a mainstream advertiser) has managed to provide a horizontal full page ad. Are we to believe a company like Coker Tire can't?

Champion Member

Not a deliberate deception

Quote Originally Posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
    Well I haven't posted on here for awhile but thought it was about time. I just heard of a possible change at our Presidents Meeting on October 21, 2017. Malcolm Stinson told us about it. As we were told it was a proposed idea. Not that it was a done deal. We understand that people put alot of time and research into projects like this. But when it is put as a proposal that we as members give our input then find out its already a done deal. Does not sit well with me. I pride myself on being honest and above board. I am very disappointed in they way this was handled. By the way we all voted to leave it as it was and asked our representative to relay our views even though his were different from ours.

Anne F. Goodman
    President of the San Joaquin Valley Chapter

Hi Ann, Dad and I discussed this at length after the fact. So I now understand (and so does Dad) that primarily because the real nuts and bolts of this project remained within the SDC Executive Committee, he did not realize that the new format was planned for January. The EC meets monthly and the full Board meets quarterly so it was easy to believe that something was well explained may not have been in both forums. Since we had several discussions but didn't actually vote, he thought we were going to vote at a later time. He did not deliberately mislead you. He was simply mistaken. He is very honest and above board and most of us know that very well. In this case, he simply misunderstood.

Jane Stinson
    SDC Treasurer

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Stinson View Post
    Hi Ann, Dad and I discussed this at length after the fact. So I now understand (and so does Dad) that primarily because the real nuts and bolts of this project remained within the SDC Executive Committee, he did not realize that the new format was planned for January. The EC meets monthly and the full Board meets quarterly so it was easy to believe that something was well explained may not have been in both forums. Since we had several discussions but didn't actually vote, he thought we were going to vote at a later time. He did not deliberately mislead you. He was simply mistaken. He is very honest and above board and most of us know that very well. In this case, he simply misunderstood.

Jane Stinson
    SDC Treasurer
    I believe that both you and your father are honest and honorable. What happened points up the problem with the new Executive Committee doing/deciding things without the full SDC Board being aware, let alone the membership.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Hurrah! Change is good. Whether viewed as positive or negative it tends to release adrenalin and increase blood flow in a bunch of old coots. Always beneficial.
    In the end Ignorance will have conquered all adversaries

Don't hasten the end

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyben View Post
    Hurrah! Change is good. Whether viewed as positive or negative it tends to release adrenalin and increase blood flow in a bunch of old coots. Always beneficial.
    This statement always give a chill. Change is simply change. When there is founded reason for the change, this is a "positive" change. When a change is made simply to change it up, usually ends up a muck.

For what it is worth, I am somewhat confused as to how changing the orientation makes for a notable difference in cost. The perfect binding and using a slightly better quality paper with the potential of 4 colour all does make sense but the edge that is bound shouldn't really have an effect. And as one member pointed out, our computer screens are horizontal. One of the things that drives me nutz, is reading online articles formatted for portrait. If in landscape, I would only be "turning a page". While I get the Avanti magazine as well, the one thing that I really do not like is a picture spanning two pages. You have to break the spine to get it flat enough to appreciate the image and the work of the photographer. That's one of the things I really liked about the late, great "AUTOMOBILE QUARTERLY" as well as the current format.

What's done is done and should it not work, the format can always be "turned".

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Out of curiosity, how will the $15,000 in savings be utilized?
    Still hoping someone with knowledge will explain the plans for the $15,000 in annual savings. If cost was a driving factor someone should be able to answer the question.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Curtis View Post
    Good Morning to all Members and SDC Forum participants. Its time to announce to you an upcoming change you will see in your January issue of Turning Wheels magazine effective in the January 2018 issue.
    We are reorienting our magazine from landscape (horizontal) to portrait (vertical). We are all aware of the steep tradition and unique look of our sideways magazine and that many in our group believe that the horizontal format is the only way to properly publish photography of STUDEBAKERS. Rest assured that all of us who have worked on this project were very aware that the initial sticker-shock of this might not come easy to some of you at least initially. Here are some details of which you might not be aware.

The magazine goes to full color with a higher quality paper allowing a much higher print resolution. It will be much easier for Ann Turner to manage. She estimates a two day savings for her and that's important. Further, it gets in and out of our printer, Sheridan in 2 days less time. It will have a "perfect binder" meaning, no more staples. It will have a usable spine with volume,issue and date for easy reference. Number of pages currently is determined in page groupings of 16 whereas the updated version beginning in January would allow us to add only 2 additional pages if desired. The exterior cover will have an Ultraviolet coating for color stability that we currently do not have. Our current format makes sales of advertising to outside vendors such as Coker Tire very difficult if not impossible due to the fact that their art department has to start with clean paper to design an ad just for us and our landscape format so additional ad revenue can be expected at some later date. We will eliminate the number one need for replacement issues, the broken spine. We will no longer need the hand-stuffed white envelopes for First Class or International mailings. Those are many not all of what we gain.
    More importantly, we will save over $15,000 per year and enhance our club at the same time. One SDC member mentioned to me recently that to those that adamantly hang onto the idea that our cars should be photographed horizontally, we should remind them that it might be more fitting that they be photographed in color than horizontal. That's for you to decide. There you have it. Let the discussion and questions begin. By the way, the confusion on disappearing threads is entirely my fault and for that I apologize. We had hoped for an official announcment date of Nov 10 for this letter with instructions to Clark and Bob Shaw to hold any threads until then.
    This project has been directed by our VP, Don Jones. He has worked on this tirelessly for almost 2 years. I mention this because I know he and Ann Turner, Jane Stinson who contributed all cost calculations and our friends at Sheridan Printing have done an outstanding job to make this as seemless as possible. They know how important this is to us.
    Thank you for reading this, Tom
    Tom,
    Many thanks to you for explaining is such great detail the why of the changes to Turning Wheels magazine. The way you explained it makes sense, mostly from a financial standpoint. I feel that we, as members of SDC, should wait to see the new format before complaining. I appreciate all the work that has gone into this endeavor. I'm a proud member of SDC for the past 26 years and look forward to many more years. Now that I know all the work that has gone into the new TW, I can look forward to seeing the results of all the effort.
    All the best,
    Rog
    P.S. Thanks also go out to Skip Lackie for his explanation regarding the changes to our magazine.
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Horizontal or vertical, just keep the great Studebaker content coming!

John Waddell
    Studedude1961
    Omaha, NE

We tried to 'step up' however, because of SDC insurance red tape, a mixed meet is still not possible. Local, chapter meets worked very well for us, we have had 70 Studes and 120 non studes and beyond. Step up? SDC needs to step up.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Still hoping someone with knowledge will explain the plans for the $15,000 in annual savings. If cost was a driving factor someone should be able to answer the question.
    Plans for the $15,000 in annual savings? I'd say that Ann Turner should get a well-deserved and earned salary raise !
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Great. Wonderful. Now we get a News stand crap quality magazine like every one else.
    Perfect market demographic & delivery vehicle for Viagra & ProLongz advertising $$$$$.
    Last edited by Jessie J.; 11-09-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lschuc View Post
    Plans for the $15,000 in annual savings? I'd say that Ann Turner should get a well-deserved and earned salary raise !
    I would suggest it in the form of a meet expense account to cover the costs of attending more meets and covering them for Turning Wheels.

It would still be a 'taxable benefit', but not as much as straight income.

Craig

Speedster Member
    Long thread as appropriate for the topic. Would also have appreciated some advance notice of what was going on; however, I understand the need. Do not think two page photos are of any benefit, per KURTRUK's comment.

President Member
    With the perceived savings, has anyone on the exec committee approached Mark @ Cornerstone to perhaps distribute a few extra copies to major news stand retailers in an attempt to bring in more interest from other outsiders who perhaps have no knowledge of our fine organization? When you go to the news stands, there are Ford, Mopar, Pontiac, Chevrolet etc. so why not Studebaker? I just thought it may spark someone who is tired of the same old, same old brands who realizes the huge support network we have both in parts as well as knowledge. These are the people who want to build cars and show them at feature events such as Goodguys and have the desire to be different from the usual 5,6,7 Chevys.
    Just my humble take.
    Bill

I'll save my comments until I see what the change looks like.

As for the savings of $15K a year...?
    Maybe promotion of the club can/will happen?

I know a guy with the PERFECT vehicle~

DSCN2980.jpg

Plans were already in play, and if all goes well--
    a pitch will be made to do just that in Tacoma next year.....

StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    With these savings are we now going to save enough to print a new roster every second year . I'm all for that and am willing to put a deposit on a copy of the roster .

Old Fart

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    With these savings are we now going to save enough to print a new roster every second year . I'm all for that and am willing to put a deposit on a copy of the roster .

Old Fart
    AOAI members will each be receiving a new 2018/2019 membership roster with their next magazine in production now and should mail by the end of this month. It includes a numerical list of Avanti serial numbers and a magazine article index in the 132 page book. We publish a new roster every two years and send it free to all AOAI members.
    Maybe with the savings from a newly designed Turning Wheels, the SDC can do the same next year....
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lschuc View Post
    AOAI members will each be receiving a new 2018/2019 membership roster with their next magazine in production now and should mail by the end of this month. It includes a numerical list of Avanti serial numbers and a magazine article index in the 132 page book. We publish a new roster every two years and send it free to all AOAI members.
    Maybe with the savings from a newly designed Turning Wheels, the SDC can do the same next year....
    That is nice, but the SDC saving is less than $1.50 per membership. I doubt that would cover the postage (to send them around the World). The most recent SDC Roster that I have handy here is for 2008-2009. It is 274 pages (there are several sections each with their own page numbering - you have to add them together.)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    forgive me, if i happen to spoil our little pity party. My comments are not intended for any individual poster. This past week, i lost a former high school classmate (cancer). This morning, i drove my wife to the doctor for another spinal injection. While waiting, i spoke with my wheel chair bound mother in her nursing home room. After returning home, i experienced what my physicians call an ocular migraine. Also, my blood sugar has spiked to over 200 with no clear explanation. Then, i get an e-mail informing me that a former co-worker passed (only 48).

You know, 'cept for the grace of god, anyone of us could have been quietly meditating in a worship service at a small texas church, or attending a concert in las vegas, or even enjoying a leisurely bike ride or stroll down a manhattan bike path in new york... Only to have the precious moment descend into the traumatic hell of madness. You could have a grandchild, driving a humvee on a lonely street in afghanistan, about to roll over a tripwire.

I rarely feel bad. In fact, i have often stated that, "i feel so good it irritates everybody around me." so, i kinda feel awkward making this post. Perhaps it's because of the cumulative effect of things already stated, or the raw, cold, wet gloomy day. But, to wrap this in a little perspective, i'd say that if our "complaint of the day," is between "landscape" or "portrait"...we are the luckiest damned people on earth!
    exactly!!!!!!!

President, Studebaker Drivers Club Past President's Avatar
    Office of the President, Studebaker Drivers Club
    I would like to clarify a misconceptionthat the SDC online Board Meetings are secret and the discussions are notavailable to the membership. In the past,the only meeting of the SDC Board of Directors was held annually at theInternational Meet. This resulted insome very lengthy meetings!Because of this, the SDC President wasburdened with making a lot of decisions on items and issues that came up duringthe rest of the year.Not only was thatunfair to him but not a good business practice.Some issues were handled by email discussion and voting.I determined that there must be a better way.

When we were updating our Bylaws, welearned that, according to New York State law where SDC is incorporated, anymeeting of the Board where voting may occur, requires that all members of theBoard must be able to hear and talk to each other. I researched how businesses resolved this andfound a company that would provide us with the capability to have unlimited onlinemeetings at a reasonable cost.

Since 2012, when I became President andwe initiated the online meeting procedure, the minutes of online Board meetingshave been available to all SDC members so they can access information on Board discussionand decisions. Go to the SDC website andclick on “News” and then, “Board Activity”.There you will find all Board activity dating back to 2012.This information is updated after each of theSDC Board meetings, which are usually held quarterly.

Also, the Executive Committee does notmake policy decisions. They are there asa resource to assist the President and to help in gathering information forbetter decision making by the SDC Board of Directors.The SDC Board, made up of an elected Directorfrom each Zone, makes policy decisions.I hope this will clear up any misconceptions.

Carl Thomason
    Past President

Speedster Member
    Personally, I think the new format is going to be great! TW is the only magazine we receive in landscape format. We receive the Avanti magazine in Portrait format and it is just great!!! I view change as an avenue to explore new options.

1961 Flamingo Hawk

Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
    studenews@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQ View Post
    Personally, I think the new format is going to be great! TW is the only magazine we receive in landscape format. We receive the Avanti magazine in Portrait format and it is just great!!! I view change as an avenue to explore new options.
    While the very nature of any Vintage car organization involves a good bit of reflecting and yearning for "selective" attributes of times gone by, none of us would be so foolish as to drive head long down the road in our cherished rides while looking backwards, focusing only on "where we've been." That's a sure way to find the ditch.

Instead, we drive "Yesterday's" cars in the present, by looking through the windshield. Not only in the present, but often the cars are sporting today's technology, if not the cars, in our pockets, on our bodies, or in the seat next to us. We adapt, and move forward. Moving forward...should be a concept fully embraced by a group that encompasses the "AVANTI" legacy.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

John, thank you for your very sobering thoughts. We drive vehicles of the past but we drive them in today's world and into the future so we too must move to the future with our magazine as well.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

Speedster Member
    I enjoyed reading in the past about how in the 70's ,groups would get together monthly just to address and send out our treasured TW, and look at how labor intense the whole process was, progress is good, we old timers can adjust, still get just as excited about the next issues arrival, like i did in 1973 ! Thanks to the people that make that happen