Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Turning Wheels format

Champion Member

New Turning Wheels format

Good Morning to all Members and SDC Forum participants. Its time to announce to you an upcoming change you will see in your January issue of Turning Wheels magazine effective in the January 2018 issue.
    We are reorienting our magazine from landscape (horizontal) to portrait (vertical). We are all aware of the steep tradition and unique look of our sideways magazine and that many in our group believe that the horizontal format is the only way to properly publish photography of STUDEBAKERS. Rest assured that all of us who have worked on this project were very aware that the initial sticker-shock of this might not come easy to some of you at least initially. Here are some details of which you might not be aware.

The magazine goes to full color with a higher quality paper allowing a much higher print resolution. It will be much easier for Ann Turner to manage. She estimates a two day savings for her and that's important. Further, it gets in and out of our printer, Sheridan in 2 days less time. It will have a "perfect binder" meaning, no more staples. It will have a usable spine with volume,issue and date for easy reference. Number of pages currently is determined in page groupings of 16 whereas the updated version beginning in January would allow us to add only 2 additional pages if desired. The exterior cover will have an Ultraviolet coating for color stability that we currently do not have. Our current format makes sales of advertising to outside vendors such as Coker Tire very difficult if not impossible due to the fact that their art department has to start with clean paper to design an ad just for us and our landscape format so additional ad revenue can be expected at some later date. We will eliminate the number one need for replacement issues, the broken spine. We will no longer need the hand-stuffed white envelopes for First Class or International mailings. Those are many not all of what we gain.
    More importantly, we will save over $15,000 per year and enhance our club at the same time. One SDC member mentioned to me recently that to those that adamantly hang onto the idea that our cars should be photographed horizontally, we should remind them that it might be more fitting that they be photographed in color than horizontal. That's for you to decide. There you have it. Let the discussion and questions begin. By the way, the confusion on disappearing threads is entirely my fault and for that I apologize. We had hoped for an official announcment date of Nov 10 for this letter with instructions to Clark and Bob Shaw to hold any threads until then.
    This project has been directed by our VP, Don Jones. He has worked on this tirelessly for almost 2 years. I mention this because I know he and Ann Turner, Jane Stinson who contributed all cost calculations and our friends at Sheridan Printing have done an outstanding job to make this as seemless as possible. They know how important this is to us.
    Thank you for reading this, Tom

Silver Hawk Member
    Thanks for the update Tom! I am looking forward to seeing the new product "in the flesh". Appreciate the Team effort as well to make this happen.
    Mark Hayden
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    '66 Commander

Regional Manager
    British Columbia

http://studebaker.ca/ - BC Coastal Chapter
    www.bcsouthintsdc.ca - BC Southern Interior Chapter
    http://visdc.shawwebspace.ca/ - Vancouver Island Chapter

Commander Member
    I am sure it will be the same quality as the Avanti Magazine, which is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Curtis View Post
    Our current format makes sales of advertising to outside vendors such as Coker Tire very difficult if not impossible due to the fact that their art department has to start with clean paper to design an ad just for us and our landscape format so additional ad revenue can be expected at some later date.
    That is a VERY valid point!

Craig

I wish to add that the format change was NOT an easy decision for me to go along with (Us Studebaker owners like to be "different") until I was presented with the facts and figures of the cost savings and potential revenue gain. Then it was easy for me to see that we, indeed, did need to make this change.
    I hope all of you enjoy the new magazine... even though that first issue will be a big shock to most of us, especially those that do not participate in this forum and are not "in the scuttlebutt loop".
    I hope to see many of you in Tacoma in August!
    Duane Miller

President Member
    Duane. I DO participate in this forum daily and there was NO "SCUTTLEBUTT" regarding this change until very recently. That "scuttlebutt" consisted of questions regarding the "potential" change. Unfortunately, it was not potential, just hidden from the membership until it was a "done deal". Not the right way to do things.
    This is a car club, NOT A BUSINESS!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive - in process)

Quote Originally Posted by brngarage View Post
    Duane. I DO participate in this forum daily and there was NO "SCUTTLEBUTT" regarding this change until very recently. That "scuttlebutt" consisted of questions regarding the "potential" change. Unfortunately, it was not potential, just hidden from the membership until it was a "done deal". Not the right way to do things.
    This is a car club, NOT A BUSINESS!
    I too, am a regular here, but apparently am not in the, "scuttlebutt loop" either. But then, being just a peasant in the SDC, on a need to know basis, I probably did not need to know. LOL

Are we a car club or a magazine club? Lower production cost. Reduced production turnaround time. Increased flexibility of number of pages. Improved graphics. Potential for improved ad revenues. I'm sure a handful of us would much rather get a monthly mimeographed sheet laid out on a manual typewriter and accented with half-tone monchrome photographs, the way we had in the '70s, but a lot of us would much rather we still had the opportunity to buy a new Studebaker every other year, too.

The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. (It's an expression, folks: I'm not calling anybody names, here.)

Can we have a new feature, called "Blast from the Past" or something equally smart & stylish, every month, composed of articles from long-ago issues reproduced in the new format with legible type and detail-rich photos?
    Last edited by JGK 940; 11-08-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    I too, am a regular here, but apparently am not in the, "scuttlebutt loop" either. But then, being just a peasant in the SDC, on a need to know basis, I probably did not need to know. LOL
    LOL that's my feeling also. The cost savings will be nice, and I can live with the change.

President Member
    Tom and others,
    I can concur that many of us in our more senior years do not look forward to change rather than the "same old, same old" approach which is most certainly is the easiest to digest. However I preface this discussion with the statement that change is inevitable and either we get on board or park ourselves at the back of the bus where we will sit and moan about things. From Tom's dissertation I can attest that Ann, who is in our local BC chapter, works her tail off and I'm totally on board with any changes that will make her life easier. She does a terrific job after taking over from my long friend Art, and other than the award this year, it seems she possibly doesn't get all the accolades she justly deserves. Not being in the immediate loop, I had no idea our format was possibly limiting advertisers and their highly sought after contributions to our effort. I too abhor change but the reality is it will always happen and we are free to like it or not.
    I say lets give this new format a decent chance and welcome it with open arms as some good people have expended a terrific amount of time and effort to make it happen. Perhaps the time has come for us to move forward.
    Just my take.
    Cheers, Bill

President Member
    I also belong to the Early V8 Ford Club, their magazine is in the new format, love it.

President Member
    The new format takes advantage of standard printing processes that allow for the greatest efficiency using either sheet fed or web fed. The latter offers signature formats at less cost but with fewer page number options.

From what I can garner from the information provided, I guessing sheet fed that provides greater flexibility in the pre press prep process..

President Member
    Thanks for the info. Anxiously await seeing the new format and assume the quality of the contents will remain superior.

Speedster Member
    In the new format couldn't the photos be in landscape? It would just
    mean we would have to rotate our magazine a quarter of a turn.

President Member
    Change is the only constant in life. Making changes just for the sake of change is wrong, making changes for more efficiency and cost savings is very sensible. I look forward to the new format and thank all involved for accomplishing the new "look" while saving the club time and money. Bill Van Alstyne

Speedster Member
    Those that get Avanti Magazine will find the new Turning Wheels in a familiar format. Cover images don't have to be horizontal, leading to more imaginative cover layouts, and interior features can lend themselves to double-page spreads like so many other award winning and great magazines.

And the cost savings to the SDC is a huge benefit too. Don Jones knows what he is doing and has done the research, first for Avanti Magazine, and now for Turning Wheels. Thanks Don Jones!!
    Welcome to the 21st Century.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Speedster Member
    I have produced 3 club magazines over the years and numerous mail order catalogs, The International Cockshutt Club, The Canadian Sewing Machine Collectors Club and the Ontario Chapter of the IH Club. All of these I produced in this new format. However I did most of the covers in the landscape format depending on how the picture fit. So all I can add is go for it.
    Nick

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Folks, this is really good news all the way around and makes far better use of our resources than did the existing format.

Those resources include not only money, but Editor Ann Turner's time, a little less of which will be used getting out each issue in a timely manner. As one who works with Ann regularly, there are times she is busier than a one-armed paper hanger, seemingly on the brink of exhaustion. That is not good. I welcome all the changes for the reasons stated, and more. Please enjoin us.

Indeed, SDC may have been the last major collector-car publication, club or otherwise, to adopt the standard vertical format. The much larger Antique Automobile Club of America's Antique Automobile went to the vertical format several years ago and to be honest with you, I hadn't noticed the change until it was brought to my attention.

The much smaller Hudson-Essex-Terreplane Club (about a fourth of SDC's membership) enjoys a full-color glossy magazine, White Triangle News, made possible by the vertical format enabling them to have full color throughout even though the club has barely a third of our revenue.

Now for those of you who understand that God works in mysterious ways (or if you believe in pure coincidence; take your pick), get this:

The January 2018 Turning Wheels will, as usual, feature the annual report of the previous year's Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. A professional photographer was on location taking random pictures of the various cars during the 2017 event. We usually feature the newest participating Studebaker on the front cover of "The Pure Stock Drags" issue, but there were no new Studebakers in competition this year; all were returning warriors.

That photographer, unknown to us in Studebaker-land, captured a dramatic photograph of The Plain Brown Wrapper coming out of the burnout box, right at him. He offered a print of the photo to PBW owner George Krem, who bought it. I commented on what a gorgeous photo it was, but it was more suited for a vertical format than a horizontal one.

Well, whaddya' know, what we needed for the front cover of the January 2018 Turning Wheels was a good photograph in a vertical format, and here we had one without even planning on it or seeking it out. The photographer granted us permission to use it on the front cover of January's Turning Wheels, the first cover in the new format. Go figure. (When I first saw the photograph in the pits at the Pure Stock Drags, I didn't yet know we were going to the new format beginning with the January 2018 issue.)

Rarely does the expression "it's all good" apply universally, but it really does for Turning Wheels' new format. Enjoy! BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-13-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: corrected "stat" about HET membership comparison
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

OK, I am sold on the change!
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I am the one who has been working on this project for just over two years. I have spent an inordinate amount on time researching all aspects of this change. The conclusion has been it is necessary not only because of change within the printing industry but also because of change in our demographics as a club. It is our hope that one of the changes we will see is an increase in membership because our award winning publication has been modernized and brought up to date as a Car Club publication.

Mr. Grump One, you are correct on your assumptions from the technical side. In the past we had to wait 8-12 hours for the ink to dry before we could collate the pages which was the third press run we incurred. Now we are down to only one run and a considerable time savings of about 21/2 days. There is more technical stuff but I will not bore you with it.

John, your idea of a column "Blast from the Past" is an excellent idea and one that will be considered now that we have all back issues through 2016 on a handy dandy flash drive. Thanks for the suggestion.

Howard, we are a car club, a BIG one. Because of that we have the obligation to our members, including you, to run it as business to ensure our future and not become a memory of what had been. That has been the goal of the current board and will be the goal for the future, ensuring we position ourselves for growth, prosperity and happiness.

Thank you all for your responses and support as we move forward on this adventure.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

I am always a little taken aback when I read threads that reveal how much folks get in a dither over the magazine- either delivery date or other changes. I'm at a point where I am just glad there is a club that does a monthly print magazine! So many others are just either emailing PDFs, or if they are doing print, it's quarterly or bi-annually. Plus membership dues to SDC are still reasonable, so a monthly magazine is a good value to me. I end up getting my 12 issues a year, so I'm not bothered about the delivery variance, and I know it's out of the club's hands anyway.

Although I kinda look forward to a time in life when I'm not getting pulled 50 different directions in tending to daily life that getting worked up over the delivery date of a club magazine is even an option. If I've got energy for that, I'm livin' the good life

At one point when I was involved with other clubs I too used to think that everything should be put up to a vote - but in getting closer to the sausage making, I realized that it often isn't feasible, or necessary. It costs the club to hold a vote, and typically participation rates are low. On most things - even if it's a pet passion for certain folks, people who don't care either way about the issue won't bother to participate - so it ends up being a small percentage of people who are passionate about a particular thing controlling the direction of the club. Not a good bang for the buck, and if you hold votes on day to day business stuff, it's not a good or responsible use of club funds.

I went through this with a racing club I used to belong to. The vehicle eligibility cutoff was set at 1975 from its inception, but as participants age out and stop showing up at the meets coupled with younger folks wanting to race what they ran when they were younger, a proposal was put to a vote to move the upper eligibility date to 1980. With the guys who own the early to mid 60's stuff, (which is the group we saw the biggest drop off in participation) you would have thought the proposal was to come over and shoot their dog or build a brothel across the street from their house. There was much sabre rattling and because the club charter mandates changes to the charter needing to be done by 2/3 vote, it lost by a couple votes - even though the majority wanted the change.

The kicker? The guys who were the most concerned about the change still don't attend the meets. So attendance is still in decline, it's getting harder to make the numbers pencil out to hold the meets and it brings the break-even point higher. This means either charge the racers more to run, or have fewer races per season. Meanwhile the guys who made the most noise, participate the least.

Long and short of my point is sometimes you just have to elect your board members and then let them run the day to day business of the club. If for some reason you don't feel that on the whole they've been good stewards of the club's funds or mission, then you elect someone else next time.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Silver Hawk Member
    And we can get a centerfold too!! And not even a staple in the navel. I've been a member of both this and the AOIA forum for a number of years. I think anyone familiar with Avanti magazine can tell you that you all will be pleased with the new format.

avanti mag.jpg

Bob
    , ,

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    And we can get a centerfold too!! And not even a staple in the navel. I've been a member of both this and the AOIA forum for a number of years. I think anyone familiar with Avanti magazine can tell you that you all will be pleased with the new format.

avanti mag.jpg

Bob
    Thanks Bob!! Another example of a two page spread like most modern magazines do.(and a brief sample of what will be in the upcoming Avanti Magazine)!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by lschuc View Post
    Thanks Bob!! Another example of a two page spread like most modern magazines do.(and a brief sample of what will be in the upcoming Avanti Magazine)!
    Wow, Lew, that's a sexy page! And being the husband of a longtime magazine editor and publisher, I can tell you that spreads like that can become commonplace in the standard format. It won't be long before the old horizontal layout will be all but forgotten.
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

President Member
    Thank you Tom, Don and the Board for proceeding with this new format. As you know I had suggested this change earlier this year as a possible solution to what appeared to be a possible reason for inefficient postal service. The additional benefits of time efficiency and cost savings make it a no brainer.

Stu Chapman

President Member Anne F. Goodman's Avatar
    Well I haven't posted on here for awhile but thought it was about time. I just heard of a possible change at our Presidents Meeting on October 21, 2017. Malcolm Stinson told us about it. As we were told it was a proposed idea. Not that it was a done deal. We understand that people put alot of time and research into projects like this. But when it is put as a proposal that we as members give our input then find out its already a done deal. Does not sit well with me. I pride myself on being honest and above board. I am very disappointed in they way this was handled. By the way we all voted to leave it as it was and asked our representative to relay our views even though his were different from ours.

Anne F. Goodman
    President of the San Joaquin Valley Chapter
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

President Member
    Well said Anne!

I don't have much of an opinion on this either way.

However, I am glad they decided to make the change at the year change and not mid-year. Makes storage of back issues in a by-year binder/magazine sleeve cleaner and consistent

Jeff in ND

Forgive me, if I happen to spoil our little pity party. My comments are not intended for any individual poster. This past week, I lost a former high school classmate (cancer). This morning, I drove my wife to the doctor for another spinal injection. While waiting, I spoke with my wheel chair bound mother in her nursing home room. After returning home, I experienced what my physicians call an ocular migraine. Also, my blood sugar has spiked to over 200 with no clear explanation. Then, I get an e-mail informing me that a former co-worker passed (only 48).

You know, 'cept for the Grace of God, anyone of us could have been quietly meditating in a worship service at a small Texas church, or attending a concert in Las Vegas, or even enjoying a leisurely bike ride or stroll down a Manhattan bike path in New York... only to have the precious moment descend into the traumatic hell of madness. You could have a grandchild, driving a Humvee on a lonely street in Afghanistan, about to roll over a tripwire.

I rarely feel bad. In fact, I have often stated that, "I feel so good it irritates everybody around me." So, I kinda feel awkward making this post. Perhaps it's because of the cumulative effect of things already stated, or the raw, cold, wet gloomy day. But, to wrap this in a little perspective, I'd say that if our "complaint of the day," is between "LANDSCAPE" or "PORTRAIT"...we are the LUCKIEST DAMNED PEOPLE ON EARTH!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

President Member
    John, you are absolutely correct. My issue is not so much with the change (I think we can all adjust to change), but the way it was handled.

Don't be surprised if the ASC Review is the next one to make the change.

Craig

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    Forgive me, if I happen to spoil our little pity party. My comments are not intended for any individual poster. This past week, I lost a former high school classmate (cancer). This morning, I drove my wife to the doctor for another spinal injection. While waiting, I spoke with my wheel chair bound mother in her nursing home room. After returning home, I experienced what my physicians call an ocular migraine. Also, my blood sugar has spiked to over 200 with no clear explanation. Then, I get an e-mail informing me that a former co-worker passed (only 48).

You know, 'cept for the Grace of God, anyone of us could have been quietly meditating in a worship service at a small Texas church, or attending a concert in Las Vegas, or even enjoying a leisurely bike ride or stroll down a Manhattan bike path in New York... only to have the precious moment descend into the traumatic hell of madness. You could have a grandchild, driving a Humvee on a lonely street in Afghanistan, about to roll over a tripwire.

I rarely feel bad. In fact, I have often stated that, "I feel so good it irritates everybody around me." So, I kinda feel awkward making this post. Perhaps it's because of the cumulative effect of things already stated, or the raw, cold, wet gloomy day. But, to wrap this in a little perspective, I'd say that if our "complaint of the day," is between "LANDSCAPE" or "PORTRAIT"...we are the LUCKIEST DAMNED PEOPLE ON EARTH!
    You're good, John. Your point could not have been better made. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

John, like Bob said, Thank You for putting this in the absolute proper perspective. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    See you in the future as I write about our past

Quote Originally Posted by Anne F. Goodman View Post
    Well I haven't posted on here for awhile but thought it was about time. I just heard of a possible change at our Presidents Meeting on October 21, 2017. Malcolm Stinson told us about it. As we were told it was a proposed idea. Not that it was a done deal. We understand that people put alot of time and research into projects like this. But when it is put as a proposal that we as members give our input then find out its already a done deal. Does not sit well with me. I pride myself on being honest and above board. I am very disappointed in they way this was handled. By the way we all voted to leave it as it was and asked our representative to relay our views even though his were different from ours.

Anne F. Goodman
    President of the San Joaquin Valley Chapter
    I agree with Anne.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

With the change in format, will this bring about those pesky renewal cards and gift subscription cards that fall onto one's lap when turning the pages?

Will the magazines still be wrapped in plastic? I don't find the plastic necessary, let's put an end to this unnecessary trash-bound stuff.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post

I welcome all the changes for the reasons stated, and more. Please enjoin us.
    Bob P.- Perhaps I am missing something. How are we going to do this (enjoin)?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    I have contacted my Dr, increased my medication for change, time to save money and improve. Thanks for the work to do it. We do elect these folks to make decisions,. Does this make my 45 years of the old format worth more! The wife will be happy about that!

Out of curiosity, how will the $15,000 in savings be utilized?
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Speedster Member
    The cost of the plastic sleeve hasn't been mentioned, but I personally like having it. Many times , my other car magazines come tattered and beat up. Most of the others do not get saved, but my Turning Wheels issues do.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post

avanti mag.jpg

Bob
    Uh...this is an improvement? One third of a headlight is missing, the bumper ain't joined together, and two different color tones (check the pavement at the top of the two pages). Take a close look. This is how they frequently end up. I see no added value there. Suitable for fishwrap, not archiving.

I really like the horizontal format. It adds something special.

Go ahead and take your personal shots at me now.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln