Thread: Come get your FREE turkey for Thanksgiving!

Come get your FREE turkey for Thanksgiving!

I looked out the back window this afternoon to find 17 wild turkeys roaming the back patio and sitting on the deck rail. This time of year, they seem to herd in our neighborhood, then fly up to the lower limbs of the big pines in the back yard. I'd be happy to have anyone take some of them home for Thanksgiving - and I don't mean as guests.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Do you kill and clean them?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Yikes! And I thought all the deer and raccoons on our property were a nuisance.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Yep...getting to be that time of year, when it seems, everybody (but me) becomes interested in Turkey. Every Thanksgiving, I have much to truly be thankful for.

But...I can honestly say I have never awakened a day in my life, wishing I had Turkey to eat!

However, I'm most thankful that the Pilgrims didn't establish the tradition by only locating and shooting a Buzzard first!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

A few years back the Idaho F&G decided we should have a new game bird so they introduced wild turkeys. Hardly anyone hunts them. They just congregate around houses in the winter hoping to be fed. There were about 20 at my front door this morning. The worse thing about turkeys is that they are large, have a very high fiber diet and are very regular.
    In the end Ignorance will have conquered all adversaries

Don't hasten the end

Quote Originally Posted by greyben View Post
    The worse thing about turkeys is that they are large, have a very high fiber diet and are very regular.
    A friend told me that, as a boy in the 1930s, he saw some turkeys go to roost in a large tree. He was determined to get one the next morning and slipped under the tree before daylight. When it became light enough to see the turkeys in the tree he shot one. That was when he discovered that they dump their load coming off the roost! He never shot another turkey.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

That'll teach you to build your house right on top of an ancient turkey tribal burial ground.
    Last edited by hausdok; 11-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Champion Member

turkeys

They are all over the place here in Green Bay WI, plus when you ' road-tag ' them your auto sheet metal gets real ugly.

President Member
    "Come get your FREE turkey for Thanksgiving!
    I looked out the back window this afternoon to find 17 wild turkeys roaming the back patio and sitting on the deck rail. This time of year, they seem to herd in our neighborhood, then fly up to the lower limbs of the big pines in the back yard. I'd be happy to have anyone take some of them home for Thanksgiving - and I don't mean as guests."

I understand they do dress nice for dinner!

My house is about 2 blocks distance from the Sheyenne River. When I moved here 20yrs ago, used to hear gobbling in the distance often and not unusual for Turkey flocks to cross the highway north of town. Had them in my yard or see them in the neighborhood too. But, about the past 10yrs or so, they've mostly disappeared as more housing development and traffic is building up. They can get pretty big so hitting a flock with your car would not be a minor deal! When I used to see them crossing the highway and causing traffic to slow down, I noted they seemed pretty aware of the cars and even tended to look first. But, they were arrogant enough the flock would just march across anyway; although not too leisurely.

Some years ago, I and my Dad were at a guy's small acreage in my hometown. He had several wild turkey's including some roosters. They were pretty tame and came up to the fence to check us out. HUGE! and they were even bigger looking as they were fluffing up their feathers and strutting around to show who was boss. I think they may have been 3' tall to their combs. Hitting one of those with a car would be like hitting a small deer.

Jeff in ND

When I lived in South Dakota turkeys had been introduced in the western part of the state and had prospered. While doing some work on a rancher's house, we saw a flock of turkeys in his driveway right among our vehicles. He related how the turkeys would come right into his barn and eat the corn they had stored there. He and some of his sons got the idea that they could catch some of the birds for Thanksgiving. They did trap some in the barn and caught a couple of birds, but the guys who grabbed them found out about how hard they could flap their wings. They decided they would not try that again.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.