No announcement yet.

Postal Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first saw the title to this thread, I knew it would be a "Hot Button" issue, because all of us have experiences and tales to tell. Recently, my main beef has been our local route carrier(s), who don't seem to have the attention to detail of past workers. I am constantly getting various neighbor's mail. At one time, it was infrequent, and I was raised to offer the courtesy of placing the infrequent misdirected mail into the appropriate mailbox, or placing it back in my box with a note of the error.

However, that was a different time. Now, with encroaching urban sprawl, it's impossible to keep up with who the neighbors are, some come & go as fast as the mail, and some have no clue what to do with the misdirected mail, other than trash it, or keep anything of value. With this frustration, I have taken to driving to the post office, and making a big deal of it to the post master. An occasional misplaced birthday card, or magazine is one thing, but now that drivers license renewals, credit cards, life sustaining medications, etc., are delivered by mail, it is imperative that the MAIL IS SORTED CORRECTLY! ESPECIALLY, BY THE PEOPLE GETTING PAID TO GET IT RIGHT!!!

Otherwise, I have little to complain about.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Jerry :

Yours was the first to disappear and there has been two more since . Our postal delivery fellow was off from knee surgery all summer and the mess created was unbelievable . We were getting mail addressed to someone not even in our postal code . The most annoying thing besides missing mail is , being out in the country we have a little flag on the box to tell us we have mail , and 99% of the time it wasn't moved . Same applies when we want to send some thing we put the flag up so they know to pick it up . It seems to be getting worse by the day . My hope is that they don't have to have a lost postal department and all my missing mail shows up .

Old Fart

Comment

I really can't remember any significant problems that I have had with USPS over the years. There have probably been a hick-up or two, but none that couldn't be resolved. My Amazon Prime shipments have always been on time or even earlier than predicted. I guess my only minor gripe is receiving my Turning Wheels folded. I have a large mail box where magazines can be flat of the bottom of the box, but I don't think the carrier is the one bending my TWs.

For mailing items I always go to the local small town Post Office (three miles from me) where the employees are always friendly and helpful. I did experience a breakdown in the USPS tracking system recently. I mailed a significant check to Omaha, Nebraska. The woman at my post office recommended using certified mail which I did (9/21/2017). I tracked it all the way to near Omaha, but my last tracking status reported that the shipment (a letter) had been delayed but would be delivered as soon as possible. Fortunately the check arrived on schedule at Omaha, but if I track the letter today I will still get the "delayed" message.

Probably my strangest mail shipment was an item from Australia (a long time ago). I was in Melbourne in June. I bought a beautiful sheepskin rug in the gift shop of the Southern Cross hotel. The price was good and the postage was reasonable. Couple months later- no rug. I contacted the store and they assured me that the rug had been mailed very soon after I bought it, but there was no way to trace it. I decided I was probably out of luck. Christmas Eve a car pulled up at my house and a man carried a bundle to my front door- the rug, in fine shape. The delivery man had no idea about what the delay was. He was just a temporary employee helping deliver the Christmas rush of packages.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm tracking a package from Rockauto right now, first time I've had them ship to Canada direct(?) it has taken 4 days to get from Ohio to the International sorting station in Burlington, Ontario and another day to get into the 'regular' post system in Mississauga, Ontario. Over the weekend it has made it's way to the nearest hub to our small town Kingston Ontario (processed in at 3:44am) and now it is showing having been processed back to Mississauga at 10:42.....we'll see how well traveled this item gets before being installed

I lost the sale of a boat one time to a Louisiana businessman due to Canada Posts utter incompetence....they lost the $5000 US down payment for three months....and couldn't have cared less.....

remember, it's not a business.....it's an employment agency
          Bill Foy
          1000 Islands, Ontario
          1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Just to let you all know, this thread has been reported as being sort of political. So, to prevent it from getting deleted entirely, I'm advising you all to keep it about the service and time etc., and not about what you feel is government incompetence and/or to attribute that to any particular person(s) or party(s).

Both postal systems are now run by private entities - that's who the complaints, if any, should be aimed at. I personally don't have any complaints about our system; but, if I did, I'd be writing letters to the folks who run the postal system, 'cuz they are the only ones in a position to do anything about it, not wasting my time posting about it here where doing so might rile some folks up but do nothing to resolve my issue.
            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
            Kenmore, Washington
            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
            '69 Pontiac Firebird
            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Mike I hate to correct you but the Canadian Postal Service is still run by the Canadian federal government . On the brighter note the envelope that was mailed from Ontario on the 24 Th of Oct. arrived today and it only took two weeks . Now I guess I have to figure out how many miles it is from mailing point to my box then convert it to the US system and see when I should expect the one from Georgia and then the one from N.J. maybe they will arrive next year some time .

Old Fart

Comment

Mike : Google Canada Post and you will find Deepra Chopra is the minister of Public Services and procurement which is the ministry for which the post office is under .

Old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  Have been very satisfied with USPS. Just last week I mailed a C-cab truck vent window from DC to Vern Ediger in Kansas. Mailed Mon, received Wed in good shape. Insured and tracked at no extra charge. I often see the UPS truck dropping off stuff at the local PO to be mailed., so they must be satisfied, too.
                  Ditto here. It always seems fashionable to rag on the USPS, but I've been pleased with their service overall. No real complaints and the folks at my local Post Office have always been nice and helpful.

My opinion is that competition from FedEx, UPS, etc., helps all of them do a better job. Only when a company has a monopoly on a market are they tempted to slack off. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My wife and I typically send packages to our son in China using USPS Global Express mail and if it's not delivered within the set time period (I think three business days) the Post Office will refund the shipping costs. Unfortunately, for us, the postal service (both US and Chinese) has met the deadline the last several times, so overall I'd rate them very highly.
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Maybe it is the Canada Post that is at fault .Thanks to our commentors from the US now I would like to hear from more Canadians and hear their comments. We will find out how bad it is , I sent two parcels to Ontario this afternoon . They will be picked up tomorrow at 10 AM. Let's see how long it takes .

Old Fart

Comment

Both postal systems are now run by private entities - that's who the complaints, if any, should be aimed at. I personally don't have any complaints about our system; but, if I did, I'd be writing letters to the folks who run the postal system, 'cuz they are the only ones in a position to do anything about it, not wasting my time posting about it here where doing so might rile some folks up but do nothing to resolve my issue.

Sorry the above narrative does not really apply to the USPS. The fact is that it has be a "qusi public" entity, and has been since about 1971. As such it is still tied to the Federal Govt. but is responsible for it's day to day activities, and is still responsible to Congress. It is non-profit and is responsible for it's own budget, but enjoined from making a profit or incurring a debt. The USPS runs under a three year contract, after which it must renegotiate a new contract with the American people. As designed, the first year of the contract is supposed to generate a surplus, the second year break even, and the third year to run a deficit. Contract rate negotiations are handled by, what used to be called the "Postal Rate Commission", but I can't remember the current name. It includes the PO, business mailers, or their reps, and congressional reps. Remember the USPS was never designed to make a profit. Service and affordability is key to this public corporation, but nothing is perfect so there can be small glitches in the service.

As a retired customer service rep/account rep, I am proud that the USPS continues to be the most efficient, cost effective post office in the world. My feedback always affirmed that our customers were, nearly all, satisfied with their delivery contracts with us. Independent research has confirmed that around 85% of US customers are pleased with their service. In fact it remains as the most respected public institution in the US. I feel sorry for our Canadian friends as they deal with their PO, but the problem is not on this side of the border.

Comment

I'll throw my hat into the PRO USPS camp. There is a caveat that comes with it though, the individual offices can vary greatly. For what ever reason, Azusa Ca has the most backwards staff, we literally have to take control of their computer screen and input the international shipments. They also refuse to pickup from our facility as they have not been able to assign to us a commercial rep. Duarte Ca has staff able to make things happen but they cannot help us with pick up obviously.

Another point regarding all shipping companies. We who are the shippers are responsible for the packaging. What we receive here from clients defies the imagination with regards to rational thought regarding how to protect the contents. We have had numerous clients who put multiple pieces in with only a few pieces of newsprint or half filled with peanuts. Pack it as if the Samosonite gorilla will be handling your parcel. These folks need to move a lot of stuff in a very short time. Packages do get dropped, it's not the norm but that's life.

Now, as for regulations and service in foreign countries, that is a real crap shoot! NAFTA was supposed to streamline the export/import of goods in North America, it didn't happen. Canadian customs is as much a problem now as a quarter century ago. Australia is quite straight forward as are NZ and the UK. Eastern Europe, I'd best not say, this is a family site.

Comment

Hallabutt :As I said to hausdoc previously the Canadian postal service is a crown ( Government ) owned entitie . and is under the minirty of Public Service and Procurement with Deepak Chopra as it's minister . All you have to do is google Canadian Postal Service to get this information . I thank you for your sympathy and we return it to you as well . Take care folks I can see where this is heading and for those who think the postal service north of the border is privately run please google it for the true facts.

Old Fart

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post

Sorry the above narrative does not really apply to the USPS. The fact is that it has be a "qusi public" entity, and has been since about 1971. As such it is still tied to the Federal Govt. but is responsible for it's day to day activities, and is still responsible to Congress. It is non-profit and is responsible for it's own budget, but enjoined from making a profit or incurring a debt. The USPS runs under a three year contract, after which it must renegotiate a new contract with the American people. As designed, the first year of the contract is supposed to generate a surplus, the second year break even, and the third year to run a deficit. Contract rate negotiations are handled by, what used to be called the "Postal Rate Commission", but I can't remember the current name. It includes the PO, business mailers, or their reps, and congressional reps. Remember the USPS was never designed to make a profit. Service and affordability is key to this public corporation, but nothing is perfect so there can be small glitches in the service.

As a retired customer service rep/account rep, I am proud that the USPS continues to be the most efficient, cost effective post office in the world. My feedback always affirmed that our customers were, nearly all, satisfied with their delivery contracts with us. Independent research has confirmed that around 85% of US customers are pleased with their service. In fact it remains as the most respected public institution in the US. I feel sorry for our Canadian friends as they deal with their PO, but the problem is not on this side of the border.
                              Agree with the above, but will add the following nitpick for the record. The USPS is technically a US Government-owned corporation. There were/are a few others, such as the St Lawrence Seaway Corporation, Bonneville Power Administration, United States [Uranium] Enrichment Corporation, TVA, etc. They are each unique in the sense that each has its own authorizing legislation defining their particular authorities and responsibilities. In general, they perform a public service function, can buy and sell real estate and negotiate labor contracts, have their own board of directors, can sue and be sued, and are supposed to break even over all. In general, they are created to perform a public function that cannot or would not be performed by private enterprise. The courts have generally ruled that they cannot be authorized to perform inherently governmental functions, but they remain government property, and violations of law against them or on their property can be federal offenses, depending on the circumstances.
                              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-07-2017, 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

And don’t forget Amtrak, Skip.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X