Thread: Postal Service

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries

Postal Service

How many of you think the postal service is doing a bang up job ? Now let's tell the truth . I was mailed something from the US three months ago and it isn't here yet / Then another person mailed me something from another state on Oct. 4th and isn't here Either . Then I had something mailed to me on Oct 24th from my neighboring Province and it still isn't here . Does anyone out there know if the US and Canadian postal services are in gahoots with each other to lose mail on purpose or to delay mail on purpose ?? Wondering if this is another Russia - Gate forming . Any one have contacts in either service so we can get some answers ???

Old Fart

I suspect Canada Post is trying to compete with Telus for who can offer the poorest service.

Craig

I just keep the DBCSes, DIOSSes, AFCSes, BDSes, and "Barney" running....
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi Craig :

It sounds like you are experiencing the same B.S. as I am . Gotta find out who the minister of crappy service is and write a letter of congratulations .

Old Fart

It must be a Canadian thing, I have heard it is terrible up there.
    My Stude. Friends and Customers all have a Private Mail Box over the Border in Point Roberts, Washington

No problem here, I ordered 4 Tires from Arizona on Tues. Oct. 31, and they are here in the northwest corner of the US 10 Miles from the Canadian border 3 Days later on Fri. Nov. 3,
    With Free shipping you just can't beat that!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Not my experience. Packages I've sent to the other side of the world by USPS have gotten there expeditiously and intact, and at half the price of UPS, FeDex or DHL.

Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    It sounds like you are experiencing the same B.S. as I am . Gotta find out who the minister of crappy service is and write a letter of congratulations.
    The WORST thing the Alberta Government did since 1905 was privatize Alberta Government Telephones which morphed into Telus.

The BEST thing the Alberta Government did since 1905 was privatize all the Liquor Stores. Now I can buy a case of beer seven days a week until 2 AM.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by StudeRich View Post
    It must be a Canadian thing, I have heard it is terrible up there.
    My Stude. Friends and Customers all have a Private Mail Box over the Border in Point Roberts, Washington

No problem here, I ordered 4 Tires from Arizona on Tues. Oct. 31, and they are here in the northwest corner of the US 10 Miles from the Canadian border 3 Days later on Fri. Nov. 3,
    With Free shipping you just can't beat that!
    Rich,

Many have a ship point just south of the Canadian border for that very reason. I've had lots of big items shipped to Bonners Ferry, saving all kinds of shipping charges, brokerage fees, et al.

Craig

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Did you give everyone your correct address?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by 8E45E View Post
    Now I can buy a case of beer seven days a week until 2 AM.
    Craig, having to buy a case of beer at 2 AM sounds like poor planning!

Speedster Member bumpkinvilledano's Avatar
    A couple of days ago, mail was scattered for over a half mile on I-285 on the west side of Atlanta. No wrecked truck was seen, so no idea how it got onto the road.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

In all my years of mailing mail, packages, products, etc., I have had only one item go missing. That also happened to be the only package I ever sent to a customer in Canada.

Dave Lester

Silver Hawk Member
    I'm not sure how many pieces of mail the USPS moves a day but it has to be in the millions. They now partner with Amazon, Fedex and UPS to deliver packages and my carrier may now show up after 6:00 PM as we are on the end of the route. It's not the USPS of your father but a more efficient delivery system.

I haven't had a missed delivery in many years and they and Fedex are a lot easier on packages than UPS. USPS, in fact, just dropped off a purchase from Amazon today (Sunday) afternoon so I know they are really trying.

I just drop letters in the mailbox with no thought that they will not reach their destination. Their package service now has decent tracking and you know where you stand on package delivery.

Hard to complain about what they do these days.

Bob
    , ,

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    A year ago I bought a Wilwood rear axle drive flange from a guy in North Carolina, sent via USPS. All I received was an empty opened box. The glued flap had come loose.
    A couple or three months ago I sent a Studebaker guy in Canada $40US cash via USPS and he hasn't received it yet. Yes, I know, never send cash in the mail. But would it have been any different if I had sent a money order?
    I don't know anything about the Canadian Post but overall, I am satisfied with the USPS. There's always going to be hiccups with any business from time to time.
    As far as losing that 40 dollars, if that's the last 40 dollars I ever lose, I'll be a happy camper.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

Silver Hawk Member
    Have been very satisfied with USPS. Just last week I mailed a C-cab truck vent window from DC to Vern Ediger in Kansas. Mailed Mon, received Wed in good shape. Insured and tracked at no extra charge. I often see the UPS truck dropping off stuff at the local PO to be mailed., so they must be satisfied, too.

When I first saw the title to this thread, I knew it would be a "Hot Button" issue, because all of us have experiences and tales to tell. Recently, my main beef has been our local route carrier(s), who don't seem to have the attention to detail of past workers. I am constantly getting various neighbor's mail. At one time, it was infrequent, and I was raised to offer the courtesy of placing the infrequent misdirected mail into the appropriate mailbox, or placing it back in my box with a note of the error.

However, that was a different time. Now, with encroaching urban sprawl, it's impossible to keep up with who the neighbors are, some come & go as fast as the mail, and some have no clue what to do with the misdirected mail, other than trash it, or keep anything of value. With this frustration, I have taken to driving to the post office, and making a big deal of it to the post master. An occasional misplaced birthday card, or magazine is one thing, but now that drivers license renewals, credit cards, life sustaining medications, etc., are delivered by mail, it is imperative that the MAIL IS SORTED CORRECTLY! ESPECIALLY, BY THE PEOPLE GETTING PAID TO GET IT RIGHT!!!

Otherwise, I have little to complain about.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Jerry :

Yours was the first to disappear and there has been two more since . Our postal delivery fellow was off from knee surgery all summer and the mess created was unbelievable . We were getting mail addressed to someone not even in our postal code . The most annoying thing besides missing mail is , being out in the country we have a little flag on the box to tell us we have mail , and 99% of the time it wasn't moved . Same applies when we want to send some thing we put the flag up so they know to pick it up . It seems to be getting worse by the day . My hope is that they don't have to have a lost postal department and all my missing mail shows up .

Old Fart

I really can't remember any significant problems that I have had with USPS over the years. There have probably been a hick-up or two, but none that couldn't be resolved. My Amazon Prime shipments have always been on time or even earlier than predicted. I guess my only minor gripe is receiving my Turning Wheels folded. I have a large mail box where magazines can be flat of the bottom of the box, but I don't think the carrier is the one bending my TWs.

For mailing items I always go to the local small town Post Office (three miles from me) where the employees are always friendly and helpful. I did experience a breakdown in the USPS tracking system recently. I mailed a significant check to Omaha, Nebraska. The woman at my post office recommended using certified mail which I did (9/21/2017). I tracked it all the way to near Omaha, but my last tracking status reported that the shipment (a letter) had been delayed but would be delivered as soon as possible. Fortunately the check arrived on schedule at Omaha, but if I track the letter today I will still get the "delayed" message.

Probably my strangest mail shipment was an item from Australia (a long time ago). I was in Melbourne in June. I bought a beautiful sheepskin rug in the gift shop of the Southern Cross hotel. The price was good and the postage was reasonable. Couple months later- no rug. I contacted the store and they assured me that the rug had been mailed very soon after I bought it, but there was no way to trace it. I decided I was probably out of luck. Christmas Eve a car pulled up at my house and a man carried a bundle to my front door- the rug, in fine shape. The delivery man had no idea about what the delay was. He was just a temporary employee helping deliver the Christmas rush of packages.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

President Member
    I'm tracking a package from Rockauto right now, first time I've had them ship to Canada direct(?) it has taken 4 days to get from Ohio to the International sorting station in Burlington, Ontario and another day to get into the 'regular' post system in Mississauga, Ontario. Over the weekend it has made it's way to the nearest hub to our small town Kingston Ontario (processed in at 3:44am) and now it is showing having been processed back to Mississauga at 10:42.....we'll see how well traveled this item gets before being installed

I lost the sale of a boat one time to a Louisiana businessman due to Canada Posts utter incompetence....they lost the $5000 US down payment for three months....and couldn't have cared less.....

remember, it's not a business.....it's an employment agency
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Just to let you all know, this thread has been reported as being sort of political. So, to prevent it from getting deleted entirely, I'm advising you all to keep it about the service and time etc., and not about what you feel is government incompetence and/or to attribute that to any particular person(s) or party(s).

Both postal systems are now run by private entities - that's who the complaints, if any, should be aimed at. I personally don't have any complaints about our system; but, if I did, I'd be writing letters to the folks who run the postal system, 'cuz they are the only ones in a position to do anything about it, not wasting my time posting about it here where doing so might rile some folks up but do nothing to resolve my issue.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Mike I hate to correct you but the Canadian Postal Service is still run by the Canadian federal government . On the brighter note the envelope that was mailed from Ontario on the 24 Th of Oct. arrived today and it only took two weeks . Now I guess I have to figure out how many miles it is from mailing point to my box then convert it to the US system and see when I should expect the one from Georgia and then the one from N.J. maybe they will arrive next year some time .

Old Fart

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Mike : Google Canada Post and you will find Deepra Chopra is the minister of Public Services and procurement which is the ministry for which the post office is under .

Old fart

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Have been very satisfied with USPS. Just last week I mailed a C-cab truck vent window from DC to Vern Ediger in Kansas. Mailed Mon, received Wed in good shape. Insured and tracked at no extra charge. I often see the UPS truck dropping off stuff at the local PO to be mailed., so they must be satisfied, too.
    Ditto here. It always seems fashionable to rag on the USPS, but I've been pleased with their service overall. No real complaints and the folks at my local Post Office have always been nice and helpful.

My opinion is that competition from FedEx, UPS, etc., helps all of them do a better job. Only when a company has a monopoly on a market are they tempted to slack off. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    My wife and I typically send packages to our son in China using USPS Global Express mail and if it's not delivered within the set time period (I think three business days) the Post Office will refund the shipping costs. Unfortunately, for us, the postal service (both US and Chinese) has met the deadline the last several times, so overall I'd rate them very highly.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it is the Canada Post that is at fault .Thanks to our commentors from the US now I would like to hear from more Canadians and hear their comments. We will find out how bad it is , I sent two parcels to Ontario this afternoon . They will be picked up tomorrow at 10 AM. Let's see how long it takes .

Old Fart

President Member
    Both postal systems are now run by private entities - that's who the complaints, if any, should be aimed at. I personally don't have any complaints about our system; but, if I did, I'd be writing letters to the folks who run the postal system, 'cuz they are the only ones in a position to do anything about it, not wasting my time posting about it here where doing so might rile some folks up but do nothing to resolve my issue.

Sorry the above narrative does not really apply to the USPS. The fact is that it has be a "qusi public" entity, and has been since about 1971. As such it is still tied to the Federal Govt. but is responsible for it's day to day activities, and is still responsible to Congress. It is non-profit and is responsible for it's own budget, but enjoined from making a profit or incurring a debt. The USPS runs under a three year contract, after which it must renegotiate a new contract with the American people. As designed, the first year of the contract is supposed to generate a surplus, the second year break even, and the third year to run a deficit. Contract rate negotiations are handled by, what used to be called the "Postal Rate Commission", but I can't remember the current name. It includes the PO, business mailers, or their reps, and congressional reps. Remember the USPS was never designed to make a profit. Service and affordability is key to this public corporation, but nothing is perfect so there can be small glitches in the service.

As a retired customer service rep/account rep, I am proud that the USPS continues to be the most efficient, cost effective post office in the world. My feedback always affirmed that our customers were, nearly all, satisfied with their delivery contracts with us. Independent research has confirmed that around 85% of US customers are pleased with their service. In fact it remains as the most respected public institution in the US. I feel sorry for our Canadian friends as they deal with their PO, but the problem is not on this side of the border.

President Member
    I'll throw my hat into the PRO USPS camp. There is a caveat that comes with it though, the individual offices can vary greatly. For what ever reason, Azusa Ca has the most backwards staff, we literally have to take control of their computer screen and input the international shipments. They also refuse to pickup from our facility as they have not been able to assign to us a commercial rep. Duarte Ca has staff able to make things happen but they cannot help us with pick up obviously.

Another point regarding all shipping companies. We who are the shippers are responsible for the packaging. What we receive here from clients defies the imagination with regards to rational thought regarding how to protect the contents. We have had numerous clients who put multiple pieces in with only a few pieces of newsprint or half filled with peanuts. Pack it as if the Samosonite gorilla will be handling your parcel. These folks need to move a lot of stuff in a very short time. Packages do get dropped, it's not the norm but that's life.

Now, as for regulations and service in foreign countries, that is a real crap shoot! NAFTA was supposed to streamline the export/import of goods in North America, it didn't happen. Canadian customs is as much a problem now as a quarter century ago. Australia is quite straight forward as are NZ and the UK. Eastern Europe, I'd best not say, this is a family site.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Hallabutt :As I said to hausdoc previously the Canadian postal service is a crown ( Government ) owned entitie . and is under the minirty of Public Service and Procurement with Deepak Chopra as it's minister . All you have to do is google Canadian Postal Service to get this information . I thank you for your sympathy and we return it to you as well . Take care folks I can see where this is heading and for those who think the postal service north of the border is privately run please google it for the true facts.

Old Fart

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallabutt View Post

Sorry the above narrative does not really apply to the USPS. The fact is that it has be a "qusi public" entity, and has been since about 1971. As such it is still tied to the Federal Govt. but is responsible for it's day to day activities, and is still responsible to Congress. It is non-profit and is responsible for it's own budget, but enjoined from making a profit or incurring a debt. The USPS runs under a three year contract, after which it must renegotiate a new contract with the American people. As designed, the first year of the contract is supposed to generate a surplus, the second year break even, and the third year to run a deficit. Contract rate negotiations are handled by, what used to be called the "Postal Rate Commission", but I can't remember the current name. It includes the PO, business mailers, or their reps, and congressional reps. Remember the USPS was never designed to make a profit. Service and affordability is key to this public corporation, but nothing is perfect so there can be small glitches in the service.

As a retired customer service rep/account rep, I am proud that the USPS continues to be the most efficient, cost effective post office in the world. My feedback always affirmed that our customers were, nearly all, satisfied with their delivery contracts with us. Independent research has confirmed that around 85% of US customers are pleased with their service. In fact it remains as the most respected public institution in the US. I feel sorry for our Canadian friends as they deal with their PO, but the problem is not on this side of the border.
    Agree with the above, but will add the following nitpick for the record. The USPS is technically a US Government-owned corporation. There were/are a few others, such as the St Lawrence Seaway Corporation, Bonneville Power Administration, United States [Uranium] Enrichment Corporation, TVA, etc. They are each unique in the sense that each has its own authorizing legislation defining their particular authorities and responsibilities. In general, they perform a public service function, can buy and sell real estate and negotiate labor contracts, have their own board of directors, can sue and be sued, and are supposed to break even over all. In general, they are created to perform a public function that cannot or would not be performed by private enterprise. The courts have generally ruled that they cannot be authorized to perform inherently governmental functions, but they remain government property, and violations of law against them or on their property can be federal offenses, depending on the circumstances.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-07-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    And don’t forget Amtrak, Skip.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Found out why it took over a month to get my letter from PA to MB , Canada post in there wisdom changed my address on the envelope despite the sender addressing it correctly to a rural post office . I have lived here since 1978 and the only addition to my address was squat . And is still the same . Received letter from England also today and it was mailed on the 3 Rd of Nov. so guy and gals go figure .

Old Fart

Speedster Member
    My experience with Canada Post in recent years is that parcels within Canada travel as fast as letters, sometimes faster. I use a Canada Post "Solutions for small business" card, which helps expedite service. Mail going to/from the United States is always slow.

When I buy parts in the U.S., I always ask the shipper only to use the postal service. Couriers charge totally insane brokerage fees on parcels coming into Canada.

For a large, or high value, parcel coming from the U.S. which I wanted quickly, I might have it shipped by courier to one of the businesses in U.S. border cities which specialize in receiving parcels for Canadians, then pick it up there myself. I live 2½ to 3 hours from Calais, Maine and from Houlton, Maine.
    Bill Jarvis

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by showbizkid View Post
    And don’t forget Amtrak, Skip.
    Yes, but that was not intended to be a complete list -- I believe there are about two dozen such organizations, all of which are different in some way. The USPS is even more different, in that it cannot raise rates without permission, while most govt-owned corps can do that on their own (while remaining mindful of their mandate to continue to perform their mission). Amtrak is similar in the sense that it is very visible and gets a lot of rudder orders from Congress.

Found out why it took over a month to get my letter from PA to MB , Canada post in there wisdom changed my address on the envelope despite the sender addressing it correctly to a rural post office . I have lived here since 1978 and the only addition to my address was squat . And is still the same . Received letter from England also today and it was mailed on the 3 Rd of Nov. so guy and gals go figure .

Old Fart
    Well that explains why you didn't receive my $40. I didn't add 'squat' to the address. Where, exactly, does it go?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Jerry : The lady at the postal service that does the local sorting said this has happened before but not that often . Then I asked could she look into the lost postal department but was told she doesn't have the authority but can put in a request for a search . She said once in awhile there are successes but not that often and it would take sometime to do the search . So we have initiated a search today and hope something turns up .I have had misdirected mail before .The worse part of this whole mess is it takes a week to get regular mail but your bills sent from the same area takes two days go figure.

Old Fart

Jerry : The lady at the postal service that does the local sorting said this has happened before but not that often . Then I asked could she look into the lost postal department but was told she doesn't have the authority but can put in a request for a search . She said once in awhile there are successes but not that often and it would take sometime to do the search . So we have initiated a search today and hope something turns up .I have had misdirected mail before .The worse part of this whole mess is it takes a week to get regular mail but your bills sent from the same area takes two days go figure.

Old Fart
    It was a joke Terry, a joke.
    But thanks for initiating the search.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    My opinion is that competition from FedEx, UPS, etc., helps all of them do a better job. Only when a company has a monopoly on a market are they tempted to slack off. BP
    That might be true IF there were true competition, but there is not. FedEx and UPS cherry pick what they find profitable and refuse those services that are not profitable, leaving the USPS holding the bag on the low profit or loss items.

USPS will pick up a letter from my mailbox and deliver it to yours for 49 cents. UPS and FedEx will not.

To put that another way, USPS has a monopoly by default on low cost mailbox to mailbox service. They haven't slacked off that I can see.

And in the meantime the USPS pays their employees better. .