55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      It’s a Vernon car then.
      There were less than 8000 1955 Commanders assembled in Vernon. There probably were very few of those that were wagons. The appropriate Fred K. Fox article probably has the breakdown.

There were 11,685 1955 wagons out of 133,827 1955 cars. With the same ratio, which might not be valid, there would be 699 Vernon wagons.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
        Will you be adding back-up lights?
        Probably not, those always looked like an afterthought on the Conestogas.

I bought the digital Turning Wheels archive. I’ll have to dig up the Fred Fox article.

Comment

Gave it a bath and got started on polishing the paint. We'll see how it looks tomorrow after that part is done. Fiddled with the carb enough so it would stay running and drove it around the yard. Brakes are next on the list.

Comment

Looks good!
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Polished and waxed the paint and got it nice enough for me. The V in the grille was broken, so I swapped it for a nice used one, and installed NOS taillight and front parking light lenses.

The heater, defroster, wipers, horns, fuel and temp gauge are all inoperable. Charging system is not charging. Exhaust system is rusted out in a couple of places. Engine and transmission both need to be resealed and need new mounts. Control arm bushings and shocks are worn out. Brakes are dangerous.

Should keep me busy for a while.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-12-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Looks great Matt - even sitting still it is something else. Is the interior in good shape as well?

To be in such good shape, did it just sit for an extended period of time to have so many things wrong with it?

Best of luck and keep the photos coming - maybe even a video or two...

Comment

The interior is too nice to redo, but I did order new carpet to replace the rubber mat and I need to have the front seat reupholstered as it’s coming apart at the stitching.

I don’t think it’s been driven in a few years, and was stored under a carport instead of an enclosed garage. I think it’s from lack of use more than anything.

Comment

The interior is too nice to redo, but I did order new carpet to replace the rubber mat and I need to have the front seat reupholstered as it’s coming apart at the stitching.

I don’t think it’s been driven in a few years, and was stored under a carport instead of an enclosed garage. I think it’s from lack of use more than anything.
                    I don't have any good information on your interior, other than what you just said. It seems like you could get a tailor/shoemaker (depending on material) to repair your interior, rather than to have it "reupholstered".
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      I don't have any good information on your interior, other than what you just said. It seems like you could get a tailor/shoemaker (depending on material) to repair your interior, rather than to have it "reupholstered".
                      The front seat is worn enough that I don't think it'd last too long if I tried to stitch it back together, and the foam is crumbling and falling out the bottom. There's a local upholstery shop that Stephen has used for his cars and they do nice work. They may not be able to match my seat material exactly, but I think they can get it close enough.

Luckily, the rest of the interior is in pretty good shape.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	auto - Gale avanti 3 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1717223Yep, pups and Studes go good together.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Beautiful, Matt. One wonders if there aren't any better original '55 wagons out there. I sure haven't seen any!
                          Bill Pressler
                          Kent, OH
                          (formerly Greenville, PA)
                          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                          All are in Australia now

Comment

Today seemed like a good day to adjust the valves. With just over 70K miles, they were a little noisier than they should be. I ended up pulling the rocker shafts, disassembled them and cleaned the insides with a bore brush and installed new end plugs, installed new valve stem seals, adjusted the valves, and finished it off with repainted valve covers and new decals.

To be "correct", this engine should have silver valve covers and air filter assembly. Silver is my least favorite color, so those parts are getting painted black instead.

Went ahead and put in new plugs and wires while I had them off. The oil pressure flex hose broke when I bumped it, so a new stainless one from Jim Turner replaced it.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-18-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

The oil pressure flex hose broke when I bumped it, so a new stainless one from Jim Turner replaced it.
                              Not sure why anyone would go with anything else - next innovation would be internal stainless with an "original" rubber exterior...

Looking great.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                                Not sure why anyone would go with anything else - next innovation would be internal stainless with an "original" rubber exterior...

Looking great.
                                That's what Jim's are. Braided stainless with a black plastic coating. Looks original at first glance.

Comment

Working...
                                X