Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Dog Hauler - '55 Commander Conestoga

Golden Hawk Member
    Not much to report this weekend, I only spent a few hours on the car this afternoon. I pulled the intake and swapped on the rebuilt WCFB setup. It runs great... George in Tallahassee did a fantastic job on the carb.

The '55's had a screen door spring instead of solid throttle linkage. I modified the throttle bellcrank to accept the later style rod linkage. Everything went together just as it should.

I'd found a correct 4 barrel air cleaner for the car, but when cleaning it up for paint I discovered that the whole thing was filled with a mouse nest. I cut a hole in the bottom and cleaned it out, but still decided it wasn't worth the risk of trash getting sucked into the engine. So.. I used an old Offy adapter and put the original 2 barrel air cleaner back on. It'll work until I can find the right one.

Last edited by mbstude; 12-03-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    The car had an Airtex fuel pump on it, not my first choice so I rebuilt an original Carter pump and installed it today.

Stephen was around the shop working on some of his cars and couldn't resist jumping in. He put a new voltage regulator on which solved the charging problem. I went ahead and did an oil change and drove it on the road for the first time.

It runs out great but still plenty of little things to tend to. But, progress!

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    It runs out great but still plenty of little things to tend to. But, progress!

One of the best views out there...

President Member
    Nice wagon. It sure looks to me like it's worth the effort you intend to put into it. Enjoy. I know I would.