Thread: New Dog Hauler - '55 Commander Conestoga

Golden Hawk Member

New Dog Hauler - '55 Commander Conestoga

Picked up in Oklahoma and on its way. Here's a teaser for the time being.

I've always been a sucker for the early wagons. Tough to resist one with factory paint still on it.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-19-2017 at 02:49 PM.

And that's one of the green colors I don't object to.
    Looking forward to more details!

image.jpgLucky dogs! Mine love riding in Studebakers too, if all my vehicles are parked together they will all choose the Hawk to line up for a ride!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the teaser Matt, cant wait to see the whole thing

President Member
    Matt, at least tell Us what Year 54 ? 55 ?

Quote Originally Posted by mbstude View Post
    Picked up in Oklahoma and on its way. Here's a teaser for the time being.

I've always been a sucker for the early wagons. Tough to resist one with factory paint still on it.

Joseph R. Zeiger

Was that car from the Tulsa area?

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Golden Hawk Member
    Yep, it came from Tulsa. I bought it off of Bob Whiten. Second series '55 Commander, 259 with DG auto (if I do keep it long term, I'll do an overdrive swap). I think it may also be a Vernon built car, but I haven't dug into that too deep.

It showed up this morning. The original paint is oxidized all over, but I went over a small area with polishing compound and it shined up like factory paint usually does. I'll get it cleaned up and detailed, and as one of the guys I work with says, "It's nice enough for the guy that owns it".

Engine seems to be a strong runner. Good oil pressure and sounds healthy. I have a WCFB at a friend's shop getting a rebuild for a 4 barrel swap, and have all the parts gathered to mount it. Have a Turner dual master setup ready to go. Lots of work ahead, but it should be fun.

Looks like a beauty - and this post is not complete until there is an actual photo with a canine (or multiples) actually going for a ride...

NIce wagon! Congrats!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 62champ View Post
    Looks like a beauty - and this post is not complete until there is an actual photo with a canine (or multiples) actually going for a ride...
    The dog has ridden in plenty of Studebakers; even a few laps around the South Bend Proving Ground track in an R2 Hawk. She's 10 years old this month, so I figured I'd get an appropriate Studebaker dog hauler to celebrate.

Silver Hawk Member
    Nice wagon, Matt. It should make a nice ride.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    Looks really nice, I was hoping it be a 55. You sure do come up with some nice finds Matt.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Golden Hawk Member
    If your wagon's S/N starts with 83 it is a South Bend assembled car, 88 for Vernon and 89 for Hamilton.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    If your wagon's S/N starts with 83 it is a South Bend assembled car, 88 for Vernon and 89 for Hamilton.
    It’s a Vernon car then.

President Member
    Will you be adding back-up lights?
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

I have a friend who would say "It might be too good for you."
    Very nice.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Golden Hawk Member
    It’s a Vernon car then.
    There were less than 8000 1955 Commanders assembled in Vernon. There probably were very few of those that were wagons. The appropriate Fred K. Fox article probably has the breakdown.

There were 11,685 1955 wagons out of 133,827 1955 cars. With the same ratio, which might not be valid, there would be 699 Vernon wagons.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtruk View Post
    Will you be adding back-up lights?
    Probably not, those always looked like an afterthought on the Conestogas.

I bought the digital Turning Wheels archive. I’ll have to dig up the Fred Fox article.

Golden Hawk Member
    Gave it a bath and got started on polishing the paint. We'll see how it looks tomorrow after that part is done. Fiddled with the carb enough so it would stay running and drove it around the yard. Brakes are next on the list.

Looks good!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Golden Hawk Member
    Polished and waxed the paint and got it nice enough for me. The V in the grille was broken, so I swapped it for a nice used one, and installed NOS taillight and front parking light lenses.

The heater, defroster, wipers, horns, fuel and temp gauge are all inoperable. Charging system is not charging. Exhaust system is rusted out in a couple of places. Engine and transmission both need to be resealed and need new mounts. Control arm bushings and shocks are worn out. Brakes are dangerous.

Should keep me busy for a while.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-12-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Looks great Matt - even sitting still it is something else. Is the interior in good shape as well?

To be in such good shape, did it just sit for an extended period of time to have so many things wrong with it?

Best of luck and keep the photos coming - maybe even a video or two...

Golden Hawk Member
    The interior is too nice to redo, but I did order new carpet to replace the rubber mat and I need to have the front seat reupholstered as it’s coming apart at the stitching.

I don’t think it’s been driven in a few years, and was stored under a carport instead of an enclosed garage. I think it’s from lack of use more than anything.

Golden Hawk Member
    The interior is too nice to redo, but I did order new carpet to replace the rubber mat and I need to have the front seat reupholstered as it’s coming apart at the stitching.

I don’t think it’s been driven in a few years, and was stored under a carport instead of an enclosed garage. I think it’s from lack of use more than anything.
    I don't have any good information on your interior, other than what you just said. It seems like you could get a tailor/shoemaker (depending on material) to repair your interior, rather than to have it "reupholstered".
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I don't have any good information on your interior, other than what you just said. It seems like you could get a tailor/shoemaker (depending on material) to repair your interior, rather than to have it "reupholstered".
    The front seat is worn enough that I don't think it'd last too long if I tried to stitch it back together, and the foam is crumbling and falling out the bottom. There's a local upholstery shop that Stephen has used for his cars and they do nice work. They may not be able to match my seat material exactly, but I think they can get it close enough.

Luckily, the rest of the interior is in pretty good shape.

auto - Gale avanti 3 copy.jpgYep, pups and Studes go good together.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

President Member
    Beautiful, Matt. One wonders if there aren't any better original '55 wagons out there. I sure haven't seen any!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Golden Hawk Member
    Today seemed like a good day to adjust the valves. With just over 70K miles, they were a little noisier than they should be. I ended up pulling the rocker shafts, disassembled them and cleaned the insides with a bore brush and installed new end plugs, installed new valve stem seals, adjusted the valves, and finished it off with repainted valve covers and new decals.

To be "correct", this engine should have silver valve covers and air filter assembly. Silver is my least favorite color, so those parts are getting painted black instead.

Went ahead and put in new plugs and wires while I had them off. The oil pressure flex hose broke when I bumped it, so a new stainless one from Jim Turner replaced it.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-18-2017 at 05:44 PM.

The oil pressure flex hose broke when I bumped it, so a new stainless one from Jim Turner replaced it.
    Not sure why anyone would go with anything else - next innovation would be internal stainless with an "original" rubber exterior...

Looking great.

Golden Hawk Member
    Not sure why anyone would go with anything else - next innovation would be internal stainless with an "original" rubber exterior...

Looking great.
    That's what Jim's are. Braided stainless with a black plastic coating. Looks original at first glance.

Speedster Member
    It's a good thing you bumped it while working on it vs hitting a bump later , and having it fail going down the road. Great looking car. I'm jealous.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    [QUOTE=mbstude;1083217]
    To be "correct", this engine should have silver valve covers and air filter assembly. Silver is my least favorite color, so those parts are getting painted black instrad.
    /QUOTE]
    Matt, welcome to the dark side. Next you'll be installing a belly button motor in it. <G>
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Matt, welcome to the dark side. Next you'll be installing a belly button motor in it. <G>
    Nah, I like the Stude engines too much. And I might lose my key to the shop if I tried that.

Replaced the front bumper this morning with a nicer used one. I think it's from a GT Hawk; has 6 bolt holes versus 10. Added a tag bracket and 1955 Alachua county (where I live) license plate that I found on ebay.

While I was at it, I put on an NOS rear bumper and NOS taillight assemblies. The taillights are for a '53 sedan, but I like the little chrome bars on the lenses.

Last edited by mbstude; 11-19-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Golden Hawk Member
    Here's the build sheet. Everything matches up except for the power brakes; there's no sign of the car ever having a Hydrovac setup.

That Saginaw green must have been pretty popular in 1955 - 15 years ago, my cousin would have given you an early '55 Commander sedan that he had picked up for almost nothing because the previous owner was going to crush it. It was Saginaw green, 3 sp/OD, and something like 45K original miles. Eventually he traded it for some work on another of his Studebakers.

I did not realize signal light were still an option in '55

Golden Hawk Member
    That Saginaw green must have been pretty popular in 1955 - 15 years ago, my cousin would have given you an early '55 Commander sedan that he had picked up for almost nothing because the previous owner was going to crush it. It was Saginaw green, 3 sp/OD, and something like 45K original miles. Eventually he traded it for some work on another of his Studebakers.

I did not realize signal light were still an option in '55
    I'd like to have that today. A 3 speed overdrive swap is on the "someday" list.

Golden Hawk Member
    Been busy the last couple of days and the box of new parts is getting lighter. No pictures, but none of this stuff is too exciting anyway.

Things that have been done:

New water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, and fan belt.

New transmission mounts and U-joints.

Dual master cylinder conversion done, with Jim Turner's bracket and a new AMC master cylinder, as well as new NiCopp lines front and rear.

Should be able to get the shoes, wheel cylinders, and rubber lines replaced tomorrow, and the system bled and adjusted.

The rebuilt WCFB should be in the mail to me early next week. Assuming there's no hangups on the brake job tomorrow, next weekend it may get a 4 barrel swap.