No announcement yet.

1941 Champion Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey willys54, what is the current status of your 41 coupe? I recently purchased a 42 sedan.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
      Hey willys54, what is the current status of your 41 coupe? I recently purchased a 42 sedan.

Been working on the body. The '70's application of red oxide primer was hand sanded and any residual rust issues were addressed. It was then shot with epoxy & surface primers so 90% is ready for wet sand & paint.

The remaining 10% is a different story. Sadly when arriving in Oklahoma to pick it up I learned that the owner damaged the body while using a rope and tractor to pull it out of the barn. Instead of taking a knee and rigging around a rear shackle or rear axle the mechanical genius took advantage of a rust hole in the trunk pan and ran a rope through the trunk opening and around the rear valance. Since the rear bumper & gravel shield were not installed the sheet metal didn't stand a prayer and was subsequently pulled out of contour by about 2-3 inches. The stress also resulted in damage to the right rear fender wall as the metal stretched beyond limits.

The damage will require hours of tedious hammer & dolly work to restore contour of the trunk opening but luckily the deck lid and gravel shield are in perfect shape and can be used as patterns. What bothers me is the fact that this vehicle remained in perfect shape for 77 years without an accident or deer strike yet it only took one fool and one minute to screw it up.

On a brighter note tell us about the '42 you recently acquired

Comment

Wow, another one surfaces. Here is mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	41 champion loading up for new home 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1724754

Comment

Ten years and $50,000 later it could look like this one (if you do most of your own work)? Or make it into a South Bend police car for a few $$ more!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	champ tw cover apr '98 caption.jpg
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1724756Click image for larger version

Name:	police car copy.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1724757
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Name:	100_2522.jpg
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1724758Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2524.jpg
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1724759A barn find from Coastal Georgia. My friend went there to check out a Corvette for sale, saw the Studebaker and thought of me. It has original motor, runs pretty well, has yard brakes. Not road worthy by a long shot. Has lots of rust, needs all new rubber. Another back burner project, or something for my heirs to deal with. 2nd picture is 3 decades of Studebakers, 42, 52, 62. Two Champions and a Lark.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Re the "Double Dater" coupe mentioned elsewhere in this thread here is pertinent data on this option for the '41 Champion coupes. Note the intro date of Jan 1941 which was five mos into the model run and also the actual numbers in each trim level assembled in the last line of the caption. A total of over 85,000 1941 Champions were produced in the model run. The most of any model in a single year in Studebaker history.

Name:	double dater2 caption.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1724760
              Richard Quinn

Comment

That's cool. I notice from your pic, mine may be missing the rocker mouldings among other things.

Comment

Good to see Mike & Neil introduce two more to the sunlight.

Richard,
                  Why did the SB Police Department use "F" bodies when "W" bodies would have made it easier to throw crooks in the back?

Comment

Originally posted by willys54 View Post

Richard,
                    Why did the SB Police Department use "F" bodies when "W" bodies would have made it easier to throw crooks in the back?
                    Your guess as good as mine! May have been an officer's car, not used for patrols?
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard,
                      In the '50s and '60s, I remember several two door police cars of various brands and even whole fleets of them from the chief on down.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wow! looks like a Von Dutch original! Kidding aside it would look good in my garage , nice find.

Comment

Had some time for the 41. I got the body about ready to lift off. Had to cut a hole in the floor to access a bolt hidden in the heater duct on the Left side. I can't believe Studebaker did that!
                          You'd think 14 bolts or so would hold it to the frame. Naw, lets hide one more.

I'm eyeballing whats left of the floors and almost ready for the saws-all. The front fender came right off, got the windows working. ..... The dash had cancer, and not just a little so it had to come out. Now back to other work.

Comment

It's hard to believe that 3 folk's could fit in the seat but to your point, I saw the belly turret on a B-17 and could not fathom how an Airman could fit much less function.

There were height and weight limits on pilots and flight crew. Generally, they were like Jockeys: small and tough. That Airman would have likely been barely five feet or less.

So Mark, how's that car coming along?

Love your blue '41 Mr. Quinn!
                            Last edited by studeclunker; 01-15-2019, 08:20 PM.
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

There were height and weight limits on pilots and flight crew. Generally, they were like Jockeys: small and tough. That Airman would have likely been barely five feet or less.

I worked for a guy that was part of the cockpit crew of a B17 during WWII. He was over six feet tall when I worked for him, in the 1990s. His plane was shot down and he was a POW. Some of the time he was held in a box that was less than six feet long. He was claustrophobic the rest of his life.

EDIT: He was always very slim.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

So Mark, how's that car coming along?

Love your blue '41 Mr. Quinn!
                                Like a fool I'm attempting 3 projects simultaneously, a '54 Ford Customline Gasser, '54 Willys 4x4 truck on '80 Ford 4x4 chassis with Cummins 4bt turbo diesel power and the '41 Champion Coupe Gasser. I also bought an M15A as a back burner if I live long enough to complete the other 3.

Body work on the '41 is now complete with the exception of some damage to the trunk opening contour caused by human error on the part of the previous owner. I'm subbing this out to a skilled hammer & dolly man since it requires more than I can handle to get the opening coordinated back to the deck lid. Fortunately the deck lid & gravel shield were not damaged so they will be used as templates to restore contour.

Still in search of some exterior trim parts that so far have eluded me but other than that the '41 is making good progress. I will post some pics soon.

Regard's
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X