Prize (TV/iPad) Help Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prize (TV/iPad) Help Requested

This evening I learned that I won a door prize. Tomorrow, I have to go and make my choice between two prizes. One is a 42 inch TV. I understand that one and do not need it. The other is an iPad. I know VERY little about that. I think that the two are priced about the same. I do not know which would be easier to resell, if I choose to do that.

For the iPad - I have a laptop computer with Verizon/FIOS internet service. Would I need to pay for different service to use the iPad? Could I take pictures with the iPad and put them on this forum, eBay, etc.? I read a lot on Google sites and Wikopedia. I learned a little more than I knew before, but I am new to this type of technology. I don't even have a smart phone.

I would appreciate some help on this. I have to decide by tomorrow morning. I am leaning toward the iPad, especially if it is something that I can get use of. Thanks.

I know - do not look a gift horse in the mouth. I am glad to win. It is the decision in prize that has me in a quandary.
    Last edited by studegary; 11-03-2017, 06:17 PM. Reason: missing l
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Take the ipad, you can connect it as just another device (notebook) on your internet (wifi), It will take pictures and you can post them . You can do about anything an Apple phone will do through apps.

I'm android but my best friend has an ipad and that's all he uses on the internet. There's a learning curve but just look up a 10 YO and they'll get you going quickly.

I'm typing this on a new chromebook with touch screen and tablet mode, just like you will be doing on the ipad. You can read e-books, watch tv etc.

My SIL videos all his son's games with his.

You'll wonder why you never had one before.

Bob

Comment

We just bought an Ipad which I really bought for my wife to use to play her games so's I could use the desk top when I wanted.. I myself, do not understand much of what's going on with it(didn't even know how to turn on or off)finally using mail and limited access to news.. getting into different programs on the Ipad is a challenge and appears to be expensive , for these reasons we're probably taking it back for refund as we've no 10 year old to show us the "how do's).. We'll stick to our computer.. This coming from a retired Doss computer system administrator and my wife's office manager job.. We turned that stuff off years ago !!

But Mr. Gary, you're probably smarter than us..

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
        We just bought an Ipad which I really bought for my wife to use to play her games so's I could use the desk top when I wanted.. I myself, do not understand much of what's going on with it(didn't even know how to turn on or off)finally using mail and limited access to news.. getting into different programs on the Ipad is a challenge and appears to be expensive , for these reasons we're probably taking it back for refund as we've no 10 year old to show us the "how do's).. We'll stick to our computer.. This coming from a retired Doss computer system administrator and my wife's office manager job.. We turned that stuff off years ago !!

I'm 74 YO, but I've got Google, other internet sources and a couple of friends and grandkids. There ain't some darn electronic device kicking my arse!!!! I'm keeping this old cranium somewhat active and agile by making these things work for me.

Get the ipad!!! Bob

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post

I thank all for their comments and experiences.
          I do not claim to be smarter than anyone, especially those that I do not know.
          I was an Advisory Engineer at IBM. My 26 years there ended 27 years ago. I worked primarily on semiconductors, not the actual use/application of complete computers. In the last 27 years, I have done only non-technical jobs and have fallen completely behind in technology. I do not even have a smart phone. I also do not have a ten year old, or even a teenager, to turn to.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            I'm 74 YO, but I've got Google, other internet sources and a couple of friends and grandkids. There ain't some darn electronic device kicking my arse!!!! I'm keeping this old cranium somewhat active and agile by making these things work for me.

Get the ipad!!! Bob
            I like your attitude. I am even older than you. I do not have children or grandchildren to turn to. As I said, the first thing that I did was to go to Google for some basic information. Then I came here for some real life input from people that I consider to be friends, even though I haven't met most of you.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I thank all for their comments and experiences.
              I do not claim to be smarter than anyone, especially those that I do not know.
              I was an Advisory Engineer at IBM. My 26 years there ended 27 years ago. I worked primarily on semiconductors, not the actual use/application of complete computers. In the last 27 years, I have done only non-technical jobs and have fallen completely behind in technology. I do not even have a smart phone. I also do not have a ten year old, or even a teenager, to turn to.
              Gary with that pedigree you are well equipt to handle the ipad. Take the challenge and enjoy the assets of the current generation. I spent 34 years as an organic chemist, where I come from you make decisions based on experimentation not fear of the unknown because that will disappear with discovery.

IAC the ipad is worth much more than the tv. Remember you didn't get your Studebaker knowledge by saying "I can't do it" but accomplishing it by continued study. JPR over.

Bob

Comment

Gary with that pedigree you are well equipt to handle the ipad. Take the challenge and enjoy the assets of the current generation. I spent 34 years as an organic chemist, where I come from you make decisions based on experimentation not fear of the unknown because that will disappear with discovery.

IAC the ipad is worth much more than the tv. Remember you didn't get your Studebaker knowledge by saying "I can't do it" but accomplishing it by continued study. JPR over.

Bob
                It is not a fear of the unknown. I am just trying to get some questions answered related to what it can do for me before I make the decision. If it only does for me what my laptop does, I do not see an advantage. If, for example, I can take pictures with it and post them here or on eBay directly from it, that is an advantage.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  It is not a fear of the unknown. I am just trying to get some questions answered related to what it can do for me before I make the decision. If it only does for me what my laptop does, I do not see an advantage. If, for example, I can take pictures with it and post them here or on eBay directly from it, that is an advantage.
                  You'll never know until you experience the ipad. It can't be a asset until it's understood and utilized particularity when the price of admission is nill.

Someone once said " I can find 1000 experts that can tell me it won't work but I just want to hire the one that can make it work".

Don't over think this one, get it and enjoy. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Bob

Comment

You'll never know until you experience the ipad. It can't be a asset until it's understood and utilized particularity when the price of admission is nill.

Someone once said " I can find 1000 experts that can tell me it won't work but I just want to hire the one that can make it work".

Don't over think this one, get it and enjoy. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Bob
                    I guess that I came at this in wondering what would be the easiest/best to turn into cash. This comes from an experience from a few years ago. I won a NOOK (I think that is the name of the thing that you can read books on). I knew that I wouldn't use it. It was from Radio Shack. I was able to return it for store credit (gift card). After the passage of time, I knew that I wouldn't be buying anything at Radio Shack and it didn't look like they would be around here much longer. I sold the gift card to an outfit that buys them and got about 65% of the value. I felt like I was still ahead and did not regret doing this.

With all of your input here, I plan on going up there tomorrow and getting the iPad. I just thought that perhaps someone else gets to make the decision before I do and then only the TV will be left. I do not know if that is how it will work.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Simply by weight alone go for the I-Pad. Assuming you would sell either would you want to be involved in shipping a 42" TV or an I-pad?
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Teenager here. Get the iPad.

Comment

Gary,
                          Get the iPad.
                          You don't have to get up and walk all the way across the room to figure out how to turn it on.....or off)
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                            Gary,
                            Get the iPad.
                            You don't have to get up and walk all the way across the room to figure out how to turn it on.....or off)
                            This morning, I saw a commercial for something called..."igrandpad"...at first, I thought it was some kind of adult diaper...turns out, it is an iPad for geezers (like lots of us)...I immediately thought of this thread.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              This morning, I saw a commercial for something called..."igrandpad"...at first, I thought it was some kind of adult diaper...turns out, it is an iPad for geezers (like lots of us)...I immediately thought of this thread.
                              Let me guess.... a) a few LESS buttons/icons to prevent the grandkids from taking over? or b) BIGGER buttons/icons to SEE them better?

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X