Thread: Prize (TV/iPad) Help Requested

Golden Hawk Member

Prize (TV/iPad) Help Requested

This evening I learned that I won a door prize. Tomorrow, I have to go and make my choice between two prizes. One is a 42 inch TV. I understand that one and do not need it. The other is an iPad. I know VERY little about that. I think that the two are priced about the same. I do not know which would be easier to resell, if I choose to do that.

For the iPad - I have a laptop computer with Verizon/FIOS internet service. Would I need to pay for different service to use the iPad? Could I take pictures with the iPad and put them on this forum, eBay, etc.? I read a lot on Google sites and Wikopedia. I learned a little more than I knew before, but I am new to this type of technology. I don't even have a smart phone.

I would appreciate some help on this. I have to decide by tomorrow morning. I am leaning toward the iPad, especially if it is something that I can get use of. Thanks.

I know - do not look a gift horse in the mouth. I am glad to win. It is the decision in prize that has me in a quandary.
    Last edited by studegary; 11-03-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: missing l
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member
    Take the ipad, you can connect it as just another device (notebook) on your internet (wifi), It will take pictures and you can post them . You can do about anything an Apple phone will do through apps.

I'm android but my best friend has an ipad and that's all he uses on the internet. There's a learning curve but just look up a 10 YO and they'll get you going quickly.

I'm typing this on a new chromebook with touch screen and tablet mode, just like you will be doing on the ipad. You can read e-books, watch tv etc.

My SIL videos all his son's games with his.

You'll wonder why you never had one before.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    We just bought an Ipad which I really bought for my wife to use to play her games so's I could use the desk top when I wanted.. I myself, do not understand much of what's going on with it(didn't even know how to turn on or off)finally using mail and limited access to news.. getting into different programs on the Ipad is a challenge and appears to be expensive , for these reasons we're probably taking it back for refund as we've no 10 year old to show us the "how do's).. We'll stick to our computer.. This coming from a retired Doss computer system administrator and my wife's office manager job.. We turned that stuff off years ago !!

But Mr. Gary, you're probably smarter than us..

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by benaslopoke View Post
    We just bought an Ipad which I really bought for my wife to use to play her games so's I could use the desk top when I wanted.. I myself, do not understand much of what's going on with it(didn't even know how to turn on or off)finally using mail and limited access to news.. getting into different programs on the Ipad is a challenge and appears to be expensive , for these reasons we're probably taking it back for refund as we've no 10 year old to show us the "how do's).. We'll stick to our computer.. This coming from a retired Doss computer system administrator and my wife's office manager job.. We turned that stuff off years ago !!

I'm 74 YO, but I've got Google, other internet sources and a couple of friends and grandkids. There ain't some darn electronic device kicking my arse!!!! I'm keeping this old cranium somewhat active and agile by making these things work for me.

Get the ipad!!! Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by benaslopoke View Post

I thank all for their comments and experiences.
    I do not claim to be smarter than anyone, especially those that I do not know.
    I was an Advisory Engineer at IBM. My 26 years there ended 27 years ago. I worked primarily on semiconductors, not the actual use/application of complete computers. In the last 27 years, I have done only non-technical jobs and have fallen completely behind in technology. I do not even have a smart phone. I also do not have a ten year old, or even a teenager, to turn to.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetolbob View Post
    I'm 74 YO, but I've got Google, other internet sources and a couple of friends and grandkids. There ain't some darn electronic device kicking my arse!!!! I'm keeping this old cranium somewhat active and agile by making these things work for me.

Get the ipad!!! Bob
    I like your attitude. I am even older than you. I do not have children or grandchildren to turn to. As I said, the first thing that I did was to go to Google for some basic information. Then I came here for some real life input from people that I consider to be friends, even though I haven't met most of you.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I thank all for their comments and experiences.
    I do not claim to be smarter than anyone, especially those that I do not know.
    I was an Advisory Engineer at IBM. My 26 years there ended 27 years ago. I worked primarily on semiconductors, not the actual use/application of complete computers. In the last 27 years, I have done only non-technical jobs and have fallen completely behind in technology. I do not even have a smart phone. I also do not have a ten year old, or even a teenager, to turn to.
    Gary with that pedigree you are well equipt to handle the ipad. Take the challenge and enjoy the assets of the current generation. I spent 34 years as an organic chemist, where I come from you make decisions based on experimentation not fear of the unknown because that will disappear with discovery.

IAC the ipad is worth much more than the tv. Remember you didn't get your Studebaker knowledge by saying "I can't do it" but accomplishing it by continued study. JPR over.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    Gary with that pedigree you are well equipt to handle the ipad. Take the challenge and enjoy the assets of the current generation. I spent 34 years as an organic chemist, where I come from you make decisions based on experimentation not fear of the unknown because that will disappear with discovery.

IAC the ipad is worth much more than the tv. Remember you didn't get your Studebaker knowledge by saying "I can't do it" but accomplishing it by continued study. JPR over.

Bob
    It is not a fear of the unknown. I am just trying to get some questions answered related to what it can do for me before I make the decision. If it only does for me what my laptop does, I do not see an advantage. If, for example, I can take pictures with it and post them here or on eBay directly from it, that is an advantage.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Silver Hawk Member
    It is not a fear of the unknown. I am just trying to get some questions answered related to what it can do for me before I make the decision. If it only does for me what my laptop does, I do not see an advantage. If, for example, I can take pictures with it and post them here or on eBay directly from it, that is an advantage.
    You'll never know until you experience the ipad. It can't be a asset until it's understood and utilized particularity when the price of admission is nill.

Someone once said " I can find 1000 experts that can tell me it won't work but I just want to hire the one that can make it work".

Don't over think this one, get it and enjoy. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Bob
    , ,

Golden Hawk Member
    You'll never know until you experience the ipad. It can't be a asset until it's understood and utilized particularity when the price of admission is nill.

Someone once said " I can find 1000 experts that can tell me it won't work but I just want to hire the one that can make it work".

Don't over think this one, get it and enjoy. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Bob
    I guess that I came at this in wondering what would be the easiest/best to turn into cash. This comes from an experience from a few years ago. I won a NOOK (I think that is the name of the thing that you can read books on). I knew that I wouldn't use it. It was from Radio Shack. I was able to return it for store credit (gift card). After the passage of time, I knew that I wouldn't be buying anything at Radio Shack and it didn't look like they would be around here much longer. I sold the gift card to an outfit that buys them and got about 65% of the value. I felt like I was still ahead and did not regret doing this.

With all of your input here, I plan on going up there tomorrow and getting the iPad. I just thought that perhaps someone else gets to make the decision before I do and then only the TV will be left. I do not know if that is how it will work.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

President Member
    Simply by weight alone go for the I-Pad. Assuming you would sell either would you want to be involved in shipping a 42" TV or an I-pad?
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Champion Member
    Teenager here. Get the iPad.

Gary,
    Get the iPad.
    You don't have to get up and walk all the way across the room to figure out how to turn it on.....or off)
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Quote Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    Gary,
    Get the iPad.
    You don't have to get up and walk all the way across the room to figure out how to turn it on.....or off)
    This morning, I saw a commercial for something called..."igrandpad"...at first, I thought it was some kind of adult diaper...turns out, it is an iPad for geezers (like lots of us)...I immediately thought of this thread.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Quote Originally Posted by jclary View Post
    This morning, I saw a commercial for something called..."igrandpad"...at first, I thought it was some kind of adult diaper...turns out, it is an iPad for geezers (like lots of us)...I immediately thought of this thread.
    Let me guess.... a) a few LESS buttons/icons to prevent the grandkids from taking over? or b) BIGGER buttons/icons to SEE them better?

Craig

Silver Hawk Member
    If it floats your boat, here it is.

https://www.grandpad.net/details-and-pricing

Bob
    , ,

Thanks for the link! I thought it was JG funnin' with us this morning, but obviously not.

Too funny! I guess my assumptions of both 'a' and 'b' are correct going by their description:

"grandPad® is designed with seniors in mind – the innovative device comes with features for connecting
    with loved ones, without the complicated features of other tablets. The large buttons and intuitive interface
    make the grandPad a simple tablet for seniors who are ready to start video chatting and sharing memories
    with family and friends around the world."

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    This morning I received an iPad at the Mazda dealership. It is a model A1822. Now, I have to find time to get into the learning curve on it. My day started at the dealership and ended with my replacing the bottom weather seal on one of my garage doors (it was getting dark then).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Sounds like you'll do most anything, rather than face that iPad
    What's tomorrow? That leaky drain pipe
    Hang in there...

This morning I received an iPad at the Mazda dealership. It is a model A1822. Now, I have to find time to get into the learning curve on it. My day started at the dealership and ended with my replacing the bottom weather seal on one of my garage doors (it was getting dark then).
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Golden Hawk Member
    Sounds like you'll do most anything, rather than face that iPad
    What's tomorrow? That leaky drain pipe
    Hang in there...
    Most of my days are very busy along with spending time with Cathy every day. Since you asked, the middle of tomorrow I have been invited to a lecture about Lowell Thomas at Marist College (probably not many others around here that actually met Lowell Thomas) and in the evening I am going to attend a charity fundraiser. Most days I have one or two "special" things on my calendar to go along with "normal" items like grocery shopping and laundry. I just do not see the iPad as being a priority item.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Most excellent!
    Since my poor attempt at humor has missed the mark...
    Why not donate the iPad to the charity fundraiser, and be done with it?

Most of my days are very busy along with spending time with Cathy every day. Since you asked, the middle of tomorrow I have been invited to a lecture about Lowell Thomas at Marist College (probably not many others around here that actually met Lowell Thomas) and in the evening I am going to attend a charity fundraiser. Most days I have one or two "special" things on my calendar to go along with "normal" items like grocery shopping and laundry. I just do not see the iPad as being a priority item.

Most excellent!
    Since my poor attempt at humor has missed the mark...
    Why not donate the iPad to the charity fundraiser, and be done with it?
    Or...take it as a challenge and "MASTER" the little contraption. Then, you can use it to maximize your time. Use the calendar function to list, keep appointments, reminders, and, other functions to monitor the charities to see that obligations are being properly managed, and keep their promises. Surely...if the "FIFTH GRADER" intellectuals can do it...you certainly can.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Silver Hawk Member
    The value of the tablet/ipad and smart phone (Android for me) came home over the last couple of years as Judy spent a fair amount of time in the hospital and had several surgeries. No worry, thanks to some very good physicians and surgeons she back in the fighting shape of her 40's (she's 71 currently but you didn't see that number here). During the hours in the hospital they were constant companions that maintained contact with the world (texting/phone-calls to family and friends), allowed me to kill time with internet and movies, let me reference the drugs and procedures the doctors discussed daily and (most importantly) allowed Judy to see the kids and grandkids as well as talk to them during the hospital stay. It really helped her spirits.

I guess that is why I'm bullish on the technology and it's value to we Alte Kakers.

Bob
    , ,

President Member
    You'll be able to sell the I Pad in a heartbeat. The T.V. not so much. There are lots of used T.V's. out there. Some are even free for the hauling. Nobody's giving away I Pads.

Silver Hawk Member
    Since you asked, the middle of tomorrow I have been invited to a lecture about Lowell Thomas at Marist College (probably not many others around here that actually met Lowell Thomas) .
    You're right -- it's probably true that not many of us met Lowell Thomas (though I certainly remember his newscasts) -- but not many of us live in/near Pawling NY either. I did, however, work with his son, Lowell Jr in the Arctic back in the 1960s. Lowell Jr was working for the National Geographic and lived in Anchorage at the time. Spectacular house on the bluff overlooking Turnagain Arm. Can't remember the details, but I believe it slid over the edge in the 1964 earthquake (no fatalities). He later became Lieutenant Governor of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Can't remember the details, but I believe it slid over the edge in the 1964 earthquake (no fatalities).
    I remember that issue of NG. July 1964, I believe it was.

Craig

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    You're right -- it's probably true that not many of us met Lowell Thomas (though I certainly remember his newscasts) -- but not many of us live in/near Pawling NY either. I did, however, work with his son, Lowell Jr in the Arctic back in the 1960s. Lowell Jr was working for the National Geographic and lived in Anchorage at the time. Spectacular house on the bluff overlooking Turnagain Arm. Can't remember the details, but I believe it slid over the edge in the 1964 earthquake (no fatalities). He later became Lieutenant Governor of Alaska.
    Lowell Thomas had a large estate in Pawling (town of, not village of). It was not marked by any sign, name, number, etc. You had to know where to turn off the public road and then go down a long drive to his compound.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

OK, Gary L., now we've got to convince you to actually USE that iPad! Bring up the Safari browser and Google "Lowell Thomas", for instance. Find some young (or old) friend with an iPhone or iPad and use FaceTime to have a conversation where you can actually see the other person. It won't take long for you to be very happy with your now tool - it's not a toy. Add some bookmarks for this forum, and you can read what's happening wherever you go.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

I use my iPad when I travel as it does pretty much everything I do on my laptop, including reading this forum. Plus it is much smaller and lighter than the laptop. Add a cheap game or two from the App Store and long waits at airports get a little easier.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk