Electric fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Electric fuel Pump

I'm working on a 63 Hawk with a 289. It has an electric fuel pump and it is hard to start and sometimes stalls when taking off even when warm. I was never a big fan of electric pumps on old, all (or mostly) stock cars. This is not the first Studebaker I've heard of with this same problem. Is there any reason for an electric pump? Vapor lock maybe?

Todd

If the pump is causing the problems you list, there is something wrong with that particular pump, or possibly the wrong type/size pump. But as for electric pumps in general, they work great on Studebakers, and usually make them easier to start. Stalling upon take off could be lots of things, the pump being only one possibility.

Comment

My first question is; Where is the electric pump located? Electric pumps are pushers and should be located in the rear near the fuel tank. Some people install them near the engine and have a lot of problems.
      Of course, the pump could be worn out, there could be a pin hole in a fuel line or several other problem areas.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I just got it to my garage tonight and am digging in tomorrow. Just thought I'd ask before getting into it. First I'll see where it is mounted and check for leaks. Thanks! That gives me some starting points.

Comment

The "Hard Starting" could be caused by a "Summer Setting" on the Automatic Choke, it may totally Leaned out.
          Try adjusting it toward "Rich".
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, I'll check that too. Any other ideas welcome.

Comment

Funny..An electric fuel pump has no idea what brand of cars it's on.
              Conversely, a Studebaker has no clue what type of fuel pump (or ANY other item) it has bolted to it.

Why would a Studebaker not like a certain product/item ?

Just because a person mismatches a product, (happens ALL the time) does not mean that the produce or the brand of car is at fault..!
              More often than not, the person that added that produce was ill informed about the product (or its usage) itself.

Mike

Comment

Sorry, wasn't trying to put blame on anything or anyone, Some Studebaker owners I have talked to have had problems with vapor lock and thought an electric pump would solve it. I don't know if Carter carbs are sensitive to pressure like Webers so yes Mike, it could be the wrong pump.

Comment

My 63 GT 289 4 bbl has an electric pump. It is by far the easiest starting carburated car I've owned in years

Comment

While you're inspecting it you should also make sure the electric pump is wired in correctly. I have mine wired to an oil pressure switch so if the engine loses oil pressure it will shut off the fuel. I also have a wire running to the starter solenoid so it gets fuel while cranking. Some guys also wire in a roll over shut off switch for added safety.

Comment

Might want to check the fuel filter and be sure it is on the tank side of the fuel pump.

Comment

I didn't think of that. The filter was up behind the fan.

Thanks

Comment

When I was in Benton Harbor 3 years ago I got stuck with a tank full of the 10% ethanol crap gas, which took out my original pump diaphram within a few miles. I had to have my friend drive me to Niles to buy a 6 volt Precision (Carter) pump to get back home. After I got home I installed a 12 volt Holley pump, which was putting out plenty of volume and pressure, even on 6 volts, so I added a 1 ohm resistor in line, and now it works fine. At some point I want to go back to the original mechanical pump, but will still carry the electric in the truck as a back up, in case of another diaphram failure.

Comment

Have you checked the accelerator pump ? If it is not working it will not give a shot of fuel when you try to start the engine regardless of choke settings , and will cause a warm engine to stall on take off .

Comment

The pump is mounted to the frame rail right behind the front seat. Is that too far from the tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X