Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruisers

Speedster Member
    if like you said the car would bring 3000 to 5000 max. tf they were in the condition mine is in i would buy them all day.

Speedster Member
    CREEGSTER, most of us are shade tree mechanics and can't spell let alone know about punctuation.

Speedster Member
    53K, thank you for your comment yes it is a nice car not a show car but a nice car by the way it won a trouphy last summer.

Speedster Member
    52-fan, please see my reply further down. thank you.

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    I see it differently. SI is a business selling parts for a low volume auto that hasn't been made in over 50 years. They have a lot of overhead. They are also big enough to have some NLA parts reproduced. We are extremely fortunate to have them and our other vendors out there. We would be in a world of hurt without them. If they weren't supplying parts at prices considered reasonable by most of their customer base they would have been out of business years ago.

?
    I concur. In many ways, we have it better than Chevy or Ford collectors. A much larger percentage of NOS Stude parts were saved, both because N&A bought a lot of surplus, and also because Studebaker stopped scrapping stuff in 1966. And we have had an array of vendors who have purchased these parts, including a lot of low-volume, low-profit stuff. Dennis Lambert saved an enormous pile of boat-anchor parts (eg, big truck rear axles) when he moved across the street, and Ed Reynolds saved most of it again when he moved a few miles away. These were not profit-driven decisions.

Besides my Studebakers, I have some Chevys, and I cannot detect any particular difference in the prices I pay for parts for old Studebakers and old Chevys. Some prices are higher, some are lower. We are lucky that we have a couple of vendors big enough to reproduce parts for a low-volume brand like Stude. The one difference I detect is that mechanical parts for Chevys are more likely to be readily available at my local NAPA -- but I am more likely to be able to get a real NOS OEM part for my Studes.
    Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Champion Member
    I'm new to SDC and just purchased my first Stude and like other members have stated here, I also enjoy a vehicle you don't see everyday and Stude's fit that bill. I also concur that anyone complaining about the cost of parts for any vintage restoration (regardless of Make) has selected the wrong hobby.

Nothing is cheap anymore. Three years ago, my old friend bought a new Harley for $18,500. He got a Shriner discount, plus the local HD dealer really wanted to sell him the bike. Now, after a few mods to personalize the bike, my friends has about $30,000 in it. HD accessories, like Studebaker door handles, are not cheap, i.e. $500 for a, "day-maker headlight.

I cannot justify anywhere near that much money in a Harley, or a Stude either, for that matter. But my old friend's priorities are different. To each their own. Bottom line, ya wanna play ya gotta pay. LOL
    Last edited by JoeHall; 11-05-2017 at 08:49 PM.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddub View Post
    I see it differently. SI is a business selling parts for a low volume auto that hasn't been made in over 50 years. They have a lot of overhead. They are also big enough to have some NLA parts reproduced. We are extremely fortunate to have them and our other vendors out there. We would be in a world of hurt without them. If they weren't supplying parts at prices considered reasonable by most of their customer base they would have been out of business years ago.

I see Studebaker themed Christmas cards priced at $0.50 each in a lot of 20. Where else can you get that at any price?
    Don
    I fully agree with you.
    Ed Reynolds saved the factory stock and should be complimented.
    I always get treated very well and they ship fast.
    Compare the prices with similar brand X parts and smile!
    Robert Kapteyn

Quote Originally Posted by rkapteyn View Post
    Don
    I fully agree with you.
    Ed Reynolds saved the factory stock and should be complimented.
    I always get treated very well and they ship fast.
    Compare the prices with similar brand X parts and smile!
    Robert Kapteyn
    I agree 100 percent

Quote Originally Posted by leonard View Post
    look i have 2 yes 2 mobile motor homes, a handicap van [ for my son ] a box truck, a customized chrysler 300. usualy the studebaker is in the garage. my daughter inlaw took it upon her self to take the photos. as you can tell parking space is at a premium there. ha ha ha.
    I counted mine the other day and I have 17 cars and trucks (11 of them are Studebakers). That does not count the 5 horse drawn Studebakers or the 2 trailers I have licensed. Add to that my 7 farm tractors, forklift, 2 crawler loaders and 3 John Deere garden tractors and I am running out of room (and money for replacement batteries). Compared to most of the other
    vehicles I own Studebakers are a bargain.
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Speedster Member
    Leonard, I just restored a 65 Cruiser. I think your price is fair. You have some nice features on the car. Good luck.

Speedster Member
    Sorry to hear that you are getting out of the Studebaker group. I agree with what some others have said here. You can go to a car show and see dozens of Corvettes, Mustangs, 57 Chevys, and plenty of vintage cars with SBCs, or LS motors. People tend to walk on by, even though they are nice cars, and stop to look at the "unusual" cars with an engine that they haven't seen or heard run, and talk to you about your car. The same goes with driving it to the restaurant, gas station, etc. People want to look it over and visit with you. I like all older cars, but I like having something a little different than most. Good luck with selling your Cruiser, and with your new car search.

President Member
    I have taken to "taking pictures of people taking pictures of our Stude".

I have owned our 59 Lark VIII 2DHTP for 36 years. It was my first car in high school. I worked on cars a lot then and bought and sold parts all the time. I was buying whole cars with near-new tires for $50. I bought a new coil for $4.00. Spark plugs were still about $1.25. Front A-frame rubber bushings were $3.50 each.

Fast forward 31 years after my car stayed in a garage and barn until I was in a financial and family position to resurrect it.

Yes, I was shocked at how prices had gone up. A coil is now $30. A distributor cap is $25, a set of spark plug wires is $45. Spark plugs are nearing $5.00 each. Then I got to looking at what taken place while my RumpleStudebaker had its slumber:

Cars no longer have distributors, some don;t even have spark plugs. Most cars no longer have A-Frames or leaf springs. Tires are ALL radial now.

Studebaker stopped automotive production in 1966. That's 51 YEARS ago.

The reason you can buy the Chevy stuff is partly because Chevy is still producing automobiles. HOWEVER......very LITTLE of this is manufactured or sold by GM or Ford. It is ALL aftermarket companies. The reason they can charge lower prices is because there is a LARGER volume of their cars on the road and in collections. The folks that have gone to "high quality restoration parts" pay the price and they are NOT the run-of-the-mill prices you are leading towards. There are LOTS of Chinese and other foreign-made Chevy reproduction parts out there. You can build a COMPLETE Tri-5 Chevy just from aftermarket parts.

I have put more money into my Stude in the last two years than I have TOTAL for the previous 34 combined, including storage fees. Am I flabbergasted? Yes. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. I do it because I love my Stude because it's DIFFERENT. I drove into a Mustang car show, just to look a the Mustangs. I parked on the street, away from the "show". I immediately had a group of about 15 people that surrounded my Stude and started asking questions. My car is NOT a creampuff or totally restored. It is a DRIVER. It has dent, scratches, mis-matched seats on the interior, and PATINA. It will roll over to 100,000 miles in less than 500 miles. Maybe by the end of 2017.

We almost daily-drive the Stude. Lately our oldest has een driving the Stude because his 70 GMC K2500 doesn't have the new heater core in it yet and the Stude starts every cold morning and has (a little) heat.

We are Studebaker owners. We are different. We are CASO. What we do and how we do it shows. We sometimes revel in it and we sometimes curse ourselves for being that.

Either way, show them younguns what the Studes are and DRIVE them, SHOW them, and DISPLAY them!
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Silver Hawk Member Chris_Dresbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    You should find some MOPAR friends, they think $120 for a door handle is a good price!

Screw young people! The average age of someone getting the drivers licenses is 23!

And most young folk are praying that the self-driving car comes out tomorrow so they don't have to learn.

I'm not worried about new blood, and I doubt SI or the other vendors that spend hours a day taking orders are worried as well.

And if I was wanting to sell my car on the forum, I think I'd go about it in a way different way.

When this gets parked next to a Chevy at a show, they generally pack up and go home.
    I'm not sure where to begin on this one. Are you one of the guys that only cares about this hobby as long as you're in it? How about the future? With an attitude like that, it would do my heart good to see some young kid get your Lark someday and turn it into a rat rod.
    It's comments and attitudes like this in the club, why I just don't give a damn anymore. And by the way, I AM 23, got my license when I was 16 IN A STUDEBAKER, and worked for SI 6 years but I guess in your eyes that doesn't count because the world only revolves around you.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
    I'm not sure where to begin on this one. Are you one of the guys that only cares about this hobby as long as you're in it? How about the future? With an attitude like that, it would do my heart good to see some young kid get your Lark someday and turn it into a rat rod.
    It's comments and attitudes like this in the club, why I just don't give a damn anymore. And by the way, I AM 23, got my license when I was 16 IN A STUDEBAKER, and worked for SI 6 years but I guess in your eyes that doesn't count because the world only revolves around you.
    Chris, I believe this post was his thoughts on the first post.

President Member
    Getting back to the original post about the door handles if the issue is a few pits or weak chrome on one side simply flip the handles from the left to the right side. Second verse same as the first!
    Rob in PA.

President Member
    I have commented in the past the lack of 64-66 Lark type clothing, and I feel the club missed a large opportunity at marketing when nothing was done for the 50 year anniversary of the ending of Studebaker in 66. But will I sell all my Studebakers on this oversite? NO!

I agree with JoeHall, that nothing is cheap anymore. Two weeks ago I bought a 1950 Land Cruiser, and just last night I was thing how I had to pay 100 times what I payed for my first Studebaker, a 1950 Commander in 1968. They are both in good driving condition, but just think this last one was 100 times more expensive than my first bought Studebaker.
    What's that mean? Either old cars were a great investment back in the 60's, or I payed way too much for the last one. LOL Better that I have the car I want than the bank uses my money and pays me no interest.
    I agree that we are so lucky that so many Studebaker parts were saved. I've spent a lot of money at S.I., but am glad they had the parts. I've also been lucky to find so many good parts at the South Bend swap meet, and at a few junk yards.

Studebakers are a cut above the big 3, both in style and quality IMHO, and I've found they cost no more to drive and restore. In fact they cost less to drive because they get so much better fuel economy.

Looks like the tribe has spoken, with zero bids on ebay, at $6800. But I bet with a real nice paint job, it woulda sold for that. Of course, with today's prices, a real nice paint job would exceed $6800. Definitely cannot be into Studes for the money, or even trying to break even, at least not nowadays.

Speedster Member
    Iv'e never even thought about the money that i spend on my projects... I am not wealthy but the satisfaction of seeing a neat old car and bringing it back to life for myself and others to enjoy , Especially youngsters ...Gives me immense SATISFACTION On the other hand if i cant afford a part I will rebuild the old one , make a new one , or barter for a better one.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Yikes! $6800 and reserve not met!
    That's a lot of moola for a parts car.
    IMHO, all four door cars are parts cars to keep the '53-5 C-K's on the road. <G>
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    Yikes! $6800 and reserve not met!
    That's a lot of moola for a parts car.
    IMHO, all four door cars are parts cars to keep the '53-5 C-K's on the road. <G>
    Perhaps you missed the point. The $6800 was the listed opening bid and no one bid that much.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Silver Hawk Member studeclunker's Avatar
    Please understand this is my opinion, that said; the price on this car seems very high considering the appearances. It's a very nice car, however the demand is optimistic for the car offered. My suggestion (for what little it's worth) is to set the opening bid about four thousand dollars lower and set a reserve at the current opening bid. This car is beautiful, however not perfect. I too think the presentation, for the price demanded, is somewhat lacking.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?