Cruisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruisers

i just received my copy christmas copy from studebaker international inc.well done. what is disgusting me is thatin the catolog there are a number pages showing factory photos,monographs,die cast replicas,fender covers,posters,christmas cards. none of which pertain to the 1963 to 1966 cruisers. i now realize the cruisers are consider them to be throw aways. besides getting part,the prices are twice of what you pay for a ford or chevy part. for instance i have 4 brand new outside door handles that purchased a while back that cost 65 dollars a piece thats 260 dollars.we want young people to join the hobby how can they when parts are so expensive? BECAUSE of this i have decided to sell my 64 crusier it has the following new parts,new brake lines,new brake pads [ also pads still in the box ] new dual exhausts,new fuel pump,new belts,radiator was recored,carburator rebuilt,the valves were ground[ second owner had that done ] 5 new tires,front wind lace was replaced, also have extra wind lace A/C needs to be converted 134R.oilwas just change with zinc added. car runs great. i want 7500 dollars. i'm sorry fellas i have to buy a ford or chevy that are easier to get parts for,so my buddies say. LEONARD

ANYBODY...can buy a FORD or CHEVY......SI is not the only parts vendor, and you need some new buddies.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That was quite a rant.
      I have always had to be patient buying parts for my car. If a $65.00 handle, or whatever, was too high I would pass and keep looking. If you wait and keep looking the right part at a good price will come along, but if you want to catalog shop it will cost more. It's just a hobby so it's always a choice.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well, I guess I will have to go elsewhere to sell these neat showroom banners!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9724 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1717040Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9707 copy labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1717041
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Gee Leonard you have me so bummed out I guess that I'm going to have to sell my collection! I been at this, for something like fifty five years, but $65 for a handle, I just can't handle that! Come to think about it, I do have a box of used handles, but maybe they're not as good as the repops.

Good luck with your new focus. When you find the Chevrolet or Ford, for the price that you are able to sell your Studebaker for, will you come back and give us an update? I for one, am very interested in finding out what you deem as an appropriate replacement for your 1964 Cruiser.

Comment

You should find some MOPAR friends, they think $120 for a door handle is a good price!

Screw young people! The average age of someone getting the drivers licenses is 23!

And most young folk are praying that the self-driving car comes out tomorrow so they don't have to learn.

I'm not worried about new blood, and I doubt SI or the other vendors that spend hours a day taking orders are worried as well.

And if I was wanting to sell my car on the forum, I think I'd go about it in a way different way.

When this gets parked next to a Chevy at a show, they generally pack up and go home.

Comment

I gave up reading what you wrote, as there is no punctuation.

Comment

The 1961-66 exterior door handles have gone up in price a lot since the old Newman & Altman and SASCO days when they were probably being sold off too cheaply! The current pricing suggests that remaining stock of these N.O.S. handles will soon run out and it may be necessary to invest in tooling, production, etc. But for everyone other than those who are perusing a 400 point restoration, there is still a good supply of nice used handles at affordably prices. Young people will spend 2K on a stereo, price is not their main deterrent!

Chris.

Comment

You are not making a lot of sense here Leonard.
                  You DO understand that what you are looking at IS a "Christmas Special Catalog" of Christmas Cards, Tree Ornaments, T-Shirts, and Car Body Trim, etc, etc, Gift suggestions Right?

The REAL S.I. Catalog has 366 PAGES Full of parts for ALL Post War Studebakers.

I don't get the "No Parts for Cruisers" thing at all.
                  The 1961 to 1966 "Cruisers" have very few "Special Parts", most parts fit all Larks and Lark Types.

There is certainly not a lessor value or desirability for Top of the Line "Cruisers" than any other Lark or Lark Type 4 Door Sedan; Standard, Regal, Custom, Challenger, Commander, or Daytona.

Ask your "buddies" how many of those "Cheap" Ford/Chevy Parts are high quality NOS or made in USA, like most Studebaker Parts are.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 11-03-2017, 03:20 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studebakers aren't for everyone. Find a car that makes you happy.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

LOOK i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings i'm sorry if i did.you are a great bunch of guys. it's just that i have had abad run in life lately. again i'm sorry. LEONARD.

Comment

Originally posted by leonard View Post
                        i just received my copy christmas copy from studebaker international inc.well done. what is disgusting me is thatin the catolog there are a number pages showing factory photos,monographs,die cast replicas,fender covers,posters,christmas cards. none of which pertain to the 1963 to 1966 cruisers. i now realize the cruisers are consider them to be throw aways. besides getting part,the prices are twice of what you pay for a ford or chevy part. for instance i have 4 brand new outside door handles that purchased a while back that cost 65 dollars a piece thats 260 dollars.we want young people to join the hobby how can they when parts are so expensive? BECAUSE of this i have decided to sell my 64 crusier it has the following new parts,new brake lines,new brake pads [ also pads still in the box ] new dual exhausts,new fuel pump,new belts,radiator was recored,carburator rebuilt,the valves were ground[ second owner had that done ] 5 new tires,front wind lace was replaced, also have extra wind lace A/C needs to be converted 134R.oilwas just change with zinc added. car runs great. i want 7500 dollars. i'm sorry fellas i have to buy a ford or chevy that are easier to get parts for,so my buddies say. LEONARD
                        Well... you can go on and buy a 4 door Ford or Chevy. Those are throw away cars too. And the side effect will be that no one will ever look at your car again. Ever been to a large hot rod or muscle car show? Folks will walk by all those brand X cars no matter how pricey they are, cuz they're a dime a dozen. Drive any Studebaker to one of those shows and people will stop, look and marvel at the site of a car they've never seen before. So, if money is all you're concerned about, then sure, go that route. But I think you're going to be disappointed. Those cars are expensive as well.
                        sals54

Comment

That's OK Leonard, we'll just write that off as you hung out with the WRONG Crowd and also had a Bad Day, stuff HAPPENS, it's OK.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I first came on here, I asked for part numbers for wheel cylinders.
                            First answer was someone selling them. I'm up in Canada. Our dollar is not as good as it once was.
                            So exchange on the dollar, shipping, maybe customs duty. So I didn't jump on the great deal.
                            Instead I looked around, found the part numbers and bought locally.
                            The car I bought had the trunk full of good used parts. Speedometers, clocks, rocker switches, chrome trim, etc.
                            I will put this stuff away somewhere until someone wants it. It will be free.
                            My point being, if someone asks for a part number, does it cost you anything to help?

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                              When I first came on here, I asked for part numbers for wheel cylinders.

My point being, if someone asks for a part number, does it cost you anything to help?
                              Yes, it costs time which is worth money to vendors (and others).
                              I give freely of my time to answer questions here and elsewhere (other forums, telephone, e-mails, etc.), but I never expect anyone else to do the same as I do.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X