Cruisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leonard View Post
    i just received my copy christmas copy from studebaker international inc.well done. what is disgusting me is thatin the catolog there are a number pages showing factory photos,monographs,die cast replicas,fender covers,posters,christmas cards. none of which pertain to the 1963 to 1966 cruisers. i now realize the cruisers are consider them to be throw aways. besides getting part,the prices are twice of what you pay for a ford or chevy part. for instance i have 4 brand new outside door handles that purchased a while back that cost 65 dollars a piece thats 260 dollars.we want young people to join the hobby how can they when parts are so expensive? BECAUSE of this i have decided to sell my 64 crusier it has the following new parts,new brake lines,new brake pads [ also pads still in the box ] new dual exhausts,new fuel pump,new belts,radiator was recored,carburator rebuilt,the valves were ground[ second owner had that done ] 5 new tires,front wind lace was replaced, also have extra wind lace A/C needs to be converted 134R.oilwas just change with zinc added. car runs great. i want 7500 dollars. i'm sorry fellas i have to buy a ford or chevy that are easier to get parts for,so my buddies say. LEONARD
    Heck, don't stop now, you have already acquired at least 25 percent of the parts you'll need to get'er back on the road. Seems a shame to quit, when you are getting so close. Just another $10,000 or so and you will be tooling around in style !

Comment

Originally posted by leonard View Post
      LOOK i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings i'm sorry if i did.you are a great bunch of guys. it's just that i have had abad run in life lately. again i'm sorry. LEONARD.
      Leonard...I don't think you need to apologize. I was needling you a bit with my feeble attempt at humor. It's all part of what I consider the "STUDEBAKER PERSONALITY." Although we have a common interest in Studebaker vehicles, we are a rather eccentric bunch, with possibly little else in common, 'cept we are attracted to the "unusual." Otherwise, we'd all ditch our "odd" brand of cars and buy the common ones.

Occasionally, a rant like yours happens, (and we've seen much worse). That's when the edgy part of our Studebaker personalities comes out. In this age of computer communication, the drawback is that it is "flat." There is no visual feedback, none of the usual indications of the emotion or circumstances of the presenter. No voice inflection, or feedback, only the interpretation or miss-interpretation of the typed words.

Life is full of setbacks, and we all encounter them. It has been my experience that the bad times give us a way to gauge the good times. Things, are not the answer to happiness, but attitude can win the day. So...I hope whatever setbacks have occurred, You will find a way to adjust, and return to a place where you at least find an opportunity to be happy again. Because, with my setbacks, whether in combat, family tragedy, or a spilled glass of milk...once the shaking & fear subsides, or the grieving is over, or just the shock of an accident...calm returns, and after all, happiness is a choice. Here's wishing you a return to "Happy" soon. Hang in there buddy!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        Yes, it costs time which is worth money to vendors (and others).
        I give freely of my time to answer questions here and elsewhere (other forums, telephone, e-mails, etc.), but I never expect anyone else to do the same as I do.
        I have to agree with Gary: its time, which eguals money for a vendor to lookup parts and provide prices. They only get paid for what they do when they make a sale.

Comment

Another thing to consider: Im not in this for the money: Im here to wrench on a car for the enjoyment. This is a hobby for me (dont know if that is the same for you or not). I am enjoying the journey to getting my car looking and running good. Its not my daily driver, and I dont spend more than I can afford to on parts at any one time, which makes the journey take longer. But that is ok, as this is fun for me, personally.

Comment

Surely someone other than a vendor has the part number for wheel cylinders.
            What does it cost them to give out the numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
              Surely someone other than a vendor has the part number for wheel cylinders.
              What does it cost them to give out the numbers?
              The same as for any vendor. If they have to take time to look up things that you could look up in your car's parts manual, that is time that they could be doing something else, maybe even for themselves.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thank you for the kind words. LEONARD.

Comment

Sorry Leonard for my sarcastic response. In reading your other posts, I realize how far you have come in your project, and how short your time with Studebakers has been. I realize how frustrated you might be for a project that doesn't seem to be progressing as fast, or as painlessly as you would like, but here is something that you need to know. We Studebaker folks are a loose association of misfits. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but the world around us, even many old car folks look at us as being a little strange, and maybe we are. What the lack of proper respect of others, outside of our Studebaker fraternity has created is, a kind of, chip on our communal shoulder. While we should be feeling pride and celebrate our difference, we bristle at those that look down on us for not being more like them. Respect has been a lifelong battle for many of us. I doubt that most of us are going to give up the fight, at least as long as we have the strength. Much of our strength comes from our fraternity. I might go so far as to say, old cars, and Studebakers particularly, have helped define who we are.

Studebakers are not for everyone. If for whatever reason you feel unable to continue your commitment to your project, and our loose fraternity, it maybe time for you to try something more to your liking. Good luck!

Just to make it clear, I am a car collector. My collection is not limited to just Studebakers, but Studebaker is where I started and they will always be a part of me. No other marque, or group has come close to that which I have found with my association with Studebakers and our fraternity.

Comment

i bought 4 nos door handles at the south bend swap meet, $50, to suit my 1964 cruiser, plus a few other nos parts for a good price , i have a few other collector cars and many parts for them are more expensive than Stude parts , shop around , we are fortunate in the Studebaker world to have many good vendors , have a nice day ,
                    R.A.Jennings

Comment

Leonard,
                      You paid about x6 the price I usually pay for door handles. The exorbitant prices you have paid for parts are reflected in your asking price for the car. Without pix, I'd guestimate your car will bring $3000 to $5000 max. It is not that it is a 63-66 Lark type, it is common to have more money in our Studes than we will ever get out of them. Over the decades, I have owned at least 25 Studes, and do not recall making a nickel off any of them. But its hard to put a price on all the fun I have had with them.

If it is all about $ to you, or if you do not enjoy the search for parts, it would be wise to take your losses and get out of Studebakers ASAP.

Comment

Interesting Sales Technique!

Comment

No one said restoring vintage cars is an inexpensive pastime, regardless of the make.

Either pay the price and consider the 'fun factor' you'll enjoy once its done, or get out of the hobby completely.

Craig

Comment

This car is currently on eBay (relisted). Appears to be a very nice car with many options including split reclining seats and AM/FM radio.
                            Check https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              This car is currently on eBay (relisted). Appears to be a very nice car with many options including split reclining seats and AM/FM radio.
                              Check https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649
                              That is a nice looking car.The first picture makes the car look like it has run off the road and into the bushes. Too bad the seller didn't take the car to a better location. Presentation can make a difference.
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Leonard,
                                Pls post some photo's
                                Thanks
                                1960 Lark VIII Convertibe
                                1964 Daytona *
                                1956 Stude PU *
                                1951 Stude PU *