Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruisers

Speedster Member

Cruisers

i just received my copy christmas copy from studebaker international inc.well done. what is disgusting me is thatin the catolog there are a number pages showing factory photos,monographs,die cast replicas,fender covers,posters,christmas cards. none of which pertain to the 1963 to 1966 cruisers. i now realize the cruisers are consider them to be throw aways. besides getting part,the prices are twice of what you pay for a ford or chevy part. for instance i have 4 brand new outside door handles that purchased a while back that cost 65 dollars a piece thats 260 dollars.we want young people to join the hobby how can they when parts are so expensive? BECAUSE of this i have decided to sell my 64 crusier it has the following new parts,new brake lines,new brake pads [ also pads still in the box ] new dual exhausts,new fuel pump,new belts,radiator was recored,carburator rebuilt,the valves were ground[ second owner had that done ] 5 new tires,front wind lace was replaced, also have extra wind lace A/C needs to be converted 134R.oilwas just change with zinc added. car runs great. i want 7500 dollars. i'm sorry fellas i have to buy a ford or chevy that are easier to get parts for,so my buddies say. LEONARD

ANYBODY...can buy a FORD or CHEVY......SI is not the only parts vendor, and you need some new buddies.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

That was quite a rant.
    I have always had to be patient buying parts for my car. If a $65.00 handle, or whatever, was too high I would pass and keep looking. If you wait and keep looking the right part at a good price will come along, but if you want to catalog shop it will cost more. It's just a hobby so it's always a choice.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

President Member
    Well, I guess I will have to go elsewhere to sell these neat showroom banners!

IMG_9724 copy.jpgIMG_9707 copy labeled.jpg
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

President Member
    Gee Leonard you have me so bummed out I guess that I'm going to have to sell my collection! I been at this, for something like fifty five years, but $65 for a handle, I just can't handle that! Come to think about it, I do have a box of used handles, but maybe they're not as good as the repops.

Good luck with your new focus. When you find the Chevrolet or Ford, for the price that you are able to sell your Studebaker for, will you come back and give us an update? I for one, am very interested in finding out what you deem as an appropriate replacement for your 1964 Cruiser.

You should find some MOPAR friends, they think $120 for a door handle is a good price!

Screw young people! The average age of someone getting the drivers licenses is 23!

And most young folk are praying that the self-driving car comes out tomorrow so they don't have to learn.

I'm not worried about new blood, and I doubt SI or the other vendors that spend hours a day taking orders are worried as well.

And if I was wanting to sell my car on the forum, I think I'd go about it in a way different way.

When this gets parked next to a Chevy at a show, they generally pack up and go home.

Commander Member
    I gave up reading what you wrote, as there is no punctuation.

President Member
    The 1961-66 exterior door handles have gone up in price a lot since the old Newman & Altman and SASCO days when they were probably being sold off too cheaply! The current pricing suggests that remaining stock of these N.O.S. handles will soon run out and it may be necessary to invest in tooling, production, etc. But for everyone other than those who are perusing a 400 point restoration, there is still a good supply of nice used handles at affordably prices. Young people will spend 2K on a stereo, price is not their main deterrent!

Chris.

You are not making a lot of sense here Leonard.
    You DO understand that what you are looking at IS a "Christmas Special Catalog" of Christmas Cards, Tree Ornaments, T-Shirts, and Car Body Trim, etc, etc, Gift suggestions Right?

The REAL S.I. Catalog has 366 PAGES Full of parts for ALL Post War Studebakers.

I don't get the "No Parts for Cruisers" thing at all.
    The 1961 to 1966 "Cruisers" have very few "Special Parts", most parts fit all Larks and Lark Types.

There is certainly not a lessor value or desirability for Top of the Line "Cruisers" than any other Lark or Lark Type 4 Door Sedan; Standard, Regal, Custom, Challenger, Commander, or Daytona.

Ask your "buddies" how many of those "Cheap" Ford/Chevy Parts are high quality NOS or made in USA, like most Studebaker Parts are.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-03-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Studebakers aren't for everyone. Find a car that makes you happy.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Speedster Member
    LOOK i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings i'm sorry if i did.you are a great bunch of guys. it's just that i have had abad run in life lately. again i'm sorry. LEONARD.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonard View Post
    i just received my copy christmas copy from studebaker international inc.well done. what is disgusting me is thatin the catolog there are a number pages showing factory photos,monographs,die cast replicas,fender covers,posters,christmas cards. none of which pertain to the 1963 to 1966 cruisers. i now realize the cruisers are consider them to be throw aways. besides getting part,the prices are twice of what you pay for a ford or chevy part. for instance i have 4 brand new outside door handles that purchased a while back that cost 65 dollars a piece thats 260 dollars.we want young people to join the hobby how can they when parts are so expensive? BECAUSE of this i have decided to sell my 64 crusier it has the following new parts,new brake lines,new brake pads [ also pads still in the box ] new dual exhausts,new fuel pump,new belts,radiator was recored,carburator rebuilt,the valves were ground[ second owner had that done ] 5 new tires,front wind lace was replaced, also have extra wind lace A/C needs to be converted 134R.oilwas just change with zinc added. car runs great. i want 7500 dollars. i'm sorry fellas i have to buy a ford or chevy that are easier to get parts for,so my buddies say. LEONARD
    Well... you can go on and buy a 4 door Ford or Chevy. Those are throw away cars too. And the side effect will be that no one will ever look at your car again. Ever been to a large hot rod or muscle car show? Folks will walk by all those brand X cars no matter how pricey they are, cuz they're a dime a dozen. Drive any Studebaker to one of those shows and people will stop, look and marvel at the site of a car they've never seen before. So, if money is all you're concerned about, then sure, go that route. But I think you're going to be disappointed. Those cars are expensive as well.
    sals54

That's OK Leonard, we'll just write that off as you hung out with the WRONG Crowd and also had a Bad Day, stuff HAPPENS, it's OK.

Commander Member
    When I first came on here, I asked for part numbers for wheel cylinders.
    First answer was someone selling them. I'm up in Canada. Our dollar is not as good as it once was.
    So exchange on the dollar, shipping, maybe customs duty. So I didn't jump on the great deal.
    Instead I looked around, found the part numbers and bought locally.
    The car I bought had the trunk full of good used parts. Speedometers, clocks, rocker switches, chrome trim, etc.
    I will put this stuff away somewhere until someone wants it. It will be free.
    My point being, if someone asks for a part number, does it cost you anything to help?

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    When I first came on here, I asked for part numbers for wheel cylinders.

My point being, if someone asks for a part number, does it cost you anything to help?
    Yes, it costs time which is worth money to vendors (and others).
    I give freely of my time to answer questions here and elsewhere (other forums, telephone, e-mails, etc.), but I never expect anyone else to do the same as I do.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Heck, don't stop now, you have already acquired at least 25 percent of the parts you'll need to get'er back on the road. Seems a shame to quit, when you are getting so close. Just another $10,000 or so and you will be tooling around in style !

LOOK i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings i'm sorry if i did.you are a great bunch of guys. it's just that i have had abad run in life lately. again i'm sorry. LEONARD.
    Leonard...I don't think you need to apologize. I was needling you a bit with my feeble attempt at humor. It's all part of what I consider the "STUDEBAKER PERSONALITY." Although we have a common interest in Studebaker vehicles, we are a rather eccentric bunch, with possibly little else in common, 'cept we are attracted to the "unusual." Otherwise, we'd all ditch our "odd" brand of cars and buy the common ones.

Occasionally, a rant like yours happens, (and we've seen much worse). That's when the edgy part of our Studebaker personalities comes out. In this age of computer communication, the drawback is that it is "flat." There is no visual feedback, none of the usual indications of the emotion or circumstances of the presenter. No voice inflection, or feedback, only the interpretation or miss-interpretation of the typed words.

Life is full of setbacks, and we all encounter them. It has been my experience that the bad times give us a way to gauge the good times. Things, are not the answer to happiness, but attitude can win the day. So...I hope whatever setbacks have occurred, You will find a way to adjust, and return to a place where you at least find an opportunity to be happy again. Because, with my setbacks, whether in combat, family tragedy, or a spilled glass of milk...once the shaking & fear subsides, or the grieving is over, or just the shock of an accident...calm returns, and after all, happiness is a choice. Here's wishing you a return to "Happy" soon. Hang in there buddy!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Yes, it costs time which is worth money to vendors (and others).
    I give freely of my time to answer questions here and elsewhere (other forums, telephone, e-mails, etc.), but I never expect anyone else to do the same as I do.
    I have to agree with Gary: its time, which eguals money for a vendor to lookup parts and provide prices. They only get paid for what they do when they make a sale.

Commander Member
    Another thing to consider: Im not in this for the money: Im here to wrench on a car for the enjoyment. This is a hobby for me (dont know if that is the same for you or not). I am enjoying the journey to getting my car looking and running good. Its not my daily driver, and I dont spend more than I can afford to on parts at any one time, which makes the journey take longer. But that is ok, as this is fun for me, personally.

Commander Member
    Surely someone other than a vendor has the part number for wheel cylinders.
    What does it cost them to give out the numbers?

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harry View Post
    Surely someone other than a vendor has the part number for wheel cylinders.
    What does it cost them to give out the numbers?
    The same as for any vendor. If they have to take time to look up things that you could look up in your car's parts manual, that is time that they could be doing something else, maybe even for themselves.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member
    thank you for the kind words. LEONARD.

President Member
    Sorry Leonard for my sarcastic response. In reading your other posts, I realize how far you have come in your project, and how short your time with Studebakers has been. I realize how frustrated you might be for a project that doesn't seem to be progressing as fast, or as painlessly as you would like, but here is something that you need to know. We Studebaker folks are a loose association of misfits. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but the world around us, even many old car folks look at us as being a little strange, and maybe we are. What the lack of proper respect of others, outside of our Studebaker fraternity has created is, a kind of, chip on our communal shoulder. While we should be feeling pride and celebrate our difference, we bristle at those that look down on us for not being more like them. Respect has been a lifelong battle for many of us. I doubt that most of us are going to give up the fight, at least as long as we have the strength. Much of our strength comes from our fraternity. I might go so far as to say, old cars, and Studebakers particularly, have helped define who we are.

Studebakers are not for everyone. If for whatever reason you feel unable to continue your commitment to your project, and our loose fraternity, it maybe time for you to try something more to your liking. Good luck!

Just to make it clear, I am a car collector. My collection is not limited to just Studebakers, but Studebaker is where I started and they will always be a part of me. No other marque, or group has come close to that which I have found with my association with Studebakers and our fraternity.

Speedster Member
    i bought 4 nos door handles at the south bend swap meet, $50, to suit my 1964 cruiser, plus a few other nos parts for a good price , i have a few other collector cars and many parts for them are more expensive than Stude parts , shop around , we are fortunate in the Studebaker world to have many good vendors , have a nice day ,
    R.A.Jennings

Leonard,
    You paid about x6 the price I usually pay for door handles. The exorbitant prices you have paid for parts are reflected in your asking price for the car. Without pix, I'd guestimate your car will bring $3000 to $5000 max. It is not that it is a 63-66 Lark type, it is common to have more money in our Studes than we will ever get out of them. Over the decades, I have owned at least 25 Studes, and do not recall making a nickel off any of them. But its hard to put a price on all the fun I have had with them.

If it is all about $ to you, or if you do not enjoy the search for parts, it would be wise to take your losses and get out of Studebakers ASAP.

Speedster Member
    Interesting Sales Technique!

No one said restoring vintage cars is an inexpensive pastime, regardless of the make.

Either pay the price and consider the 'fun factor' you'll enjoy once its done, or get out of the hobby completely.

Craig

This car is currently on eBay (relisted). Appears to be a very nice car with many options including split reclining seats and AM/FM radio.
    Check https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Quote Originally Posted by 53k View Post
    This car is currently on eBay (relisted). Appears to be a very nice car with many options including split reclining seats and AM/FM radio.
    Check https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649
    That is a nice looking car.The first picture makes the car look like it has run off the road and into the bushes. Too bad the seller didn't take the car to a better location. Presentation can make a difference.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

Champion Member
    Leonard,
    Pls post some photo's
    Thanks
    1960 Lark VIII Convertibe
    1964 Daytona *
    1956 Stude PU *
    1951 Stude PU *
    1963 Lark *
    1960 Lark Regal 4 door *
    *= previously owned.

The eBay Car is a very nice looking Cruiser, I don't see ANY visible RUST, maybe it has not been in Illinois very long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Leonard,
    Pls post some photo's
    Thanks
    Go here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

President Member
    Leonard
    There are two Studebaker parts vendors in your area.
    Roscoe Stelford at 847 464 5119 and
    Robert Kapteyn at 815 212 2389.
    Buy from your local vendors and you will find lower prices.

Speedster Member
    Blog Entries
    Lenonard ;

No matter whether SI is selling parts or Xmas Cards they are way over priced because the owner thinks he has to rip off the public at every chance he gets . I avoid dealing with him at all costs

Speedster Member
    I would be careful to insult our vender prices. I'm a young SDCer and appreciate all the available parts saved by our venders. I do enjoy purchasing parts from individual collections since meeting the people is half the fun, but our venders have a lot of overhead to cover.

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    Lenonard ;

No matter whether SI is selling parts or Xmas Cards they are way over priced because the owner thinks he has to rip off the public at every chance he gets . I avoid dealing with him at all costs
    That is absurd. You are clueless.

President Member
    Leonard, I'm curious if You bought n.o.s. Chrome Door handles or Stainless Steel Clad handles ?

Joseph R. Zeiger

Quote Originally Posted by old fart View Post
    Lenonard ;

I see it differently. SI is a business selling parts for a low volume auto that hasn't been made in over 50 years. They have a lot of overhead. They are also big enough to have some NLA parts reproduced. We are extremely fortunate to have them and our other vendors out there. We would be in a world of hurt without them. If they weren't supplying parts at prices considered reasonable by most of their customer base they would have been out of business years ago.

I see Studebaker themed Christmas cards priced at $0.50 each in a lot of 20. Where else can you get that at any price?
    Last edited by ddub; 11-05-2017 at 01:58 AM.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Speedster Member
    there are 20 photos posted.did you look at all of them?

Speedster Member
    look i have 2 yes 2 mobile motor homes, a handicap van [ for my son ] a box truck, a customized chrysler 300. usualy the studebaker is in the garage. my daughter inlaw took it upon her self to take the photos. as you can tell parking space is at a premium there. ha ha ha.