Thread: Selling On The Internet - One Man's Comment (link)

Thumbs down Selling On The Internet - One Man's Comment (link)

(Posted this on Stove Huggers... Because we can't have a Chevy pickup on the general forum)

While kind of snarky....
    This guy does point out something that Studebaker sellers should think about as they write their ad copy.

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/ba...book-imbecile/

(copy)

Chadmouth: Why Is It That Virtually Everyone Selling Something On Facebook Is An Imbecile?

Oct 30, 2017Chad Reynolds

I’ve been shopping for a Square Body Dually for the past few weeks, and have been excited by the fact that never in history has there been more available resources or outlets to explore in search of anything and everything you could ever want. Sure the standards like RacingJunk.com, ebay, Craigslist, etc are all available, but now there are a jillion different ways to list something on Facebook and all the other social media outlets. How bitchin is that?!
    NOT BITCHIN AT ALL!!! is the answer you should have given. And here is why…
    You know how nobody can form a sentence, spell, or behave like an actual human on ANY social media? You know how people think that dumb stuff is cool? You know how everyone on Facebook thinks that two or three words is a statement? Those imbeciles are selling stuff on Facebook and using the same writing style. It’s enough to make you scream at your computer screen. And I thought people listing things on Facebook had a hard time making sure there was good information about the item for sale, but they are practically perfect in every way compared to the lack of sense I’ve found in my Facebook searching. Have the Russians hacked the brains of anyone using Facebook? Hmmmmm
    Here’s an example, that I’ll discuss without mentioning any names. This is representative of more than a dozen Facebook exchanges I’ve had via comments or Messages with regards to a particular truck. I’m going to call the seller Bob, for no reason besides it being short and descriptive of what I’d like to tell them to do.

Bob posts a single picture of a crew cab Chevy Truck and adds “1987, TBI 454, 4 speed, runs, registered, smog equipment missing.”
    Several people comment asking how much and he responds $4000.
    I respond asking for more photos, information, and location of the truck.
    Bob responds. “Chad, why don’t you tell me what particulars you are looking for.”
    Really Bob? Really?!!!
    WTF do you think I want to know?
    I respond… “Bob, I’d like all the information you would want to know if you were looking at buying a truck that is NOT down the street from you where you can just go look at it? Here’s what I would like to know Bob. Does the truck have a clean title in your name? Is the registration valid or does it require a smog still? What smog equipment is missing? What city and state is the truck in? Does it run and drive like a normal vehicle or will it require work to drive it 500 miles or more? I would like more photos. Photos of the areas that are typically troubling on a Square Body Chevy. I would also like exterior, interior, underhood, bed, and dually fender photos, along with any damage to the truck.”
    “What I’m trying to say Bob, is that I want all the information any normal person would want to know before discussing pricing or negotiating a deal on a car or truck that is halfway across the country from them.”
    What I wanted to say was, “Ship the f’ing thing to me, I’ll look at it since you can’t get me the info I want, and if I like it I’ll send you money. If not, I’ll send it back. Or not you stupid ass.”
    I feel like Earl Pitts, American when ready this kind of thing and getting upset. It just makes me want to scream and laugh at the same time. I have almost no doubt that I’ll be buying something from Racing Junk, Craigslist, Ebay, or word of mouth and that Facebook listings will mostly be for my own enjoyment as I mess with people.
    Come on people!!! Don’t be dumb!!!

President Member
    "Ran good when parked".
    Oglesby,Il.
    Buy a smart car,I need your gas.

Blog Entries
    He's not wrong... I regularly find people who should know much better posting items for sale with minimal or no information and one crappy photo. What about that makes me want to buy your stuff? It could be the best thing in the world, but I'll never know, because the rotten "description" tells me nothing.

On the other hand, I'm a marketing professional, so I may expect a higher level of salesmanship than the average person is able to attain
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I see these ads all the time. I always wonder if someone had their mom, girl friend, or neighbor, who knows nothing about cars, to post the ad. How about the ads where the pictures were taken outside at night and most of the item is in shadow. It's like they just decided at the last moment to run outside and snap some photos.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

President Member
    I seem to see those Millennial "one moment in time" ads on Craigslist a lot. You know, those "Think'in of sell'in, hit me up" where that is ALL that is in the ad with a very dark, night time picture of the car. It's like his girl friend told him she was pregnant and in a panicking moment of desperation he posted the ad. But since I see it so often either there are a lot of pregnant, unmarried girls out there, or..., "Johnny can't post an ad properly." Here is a CL post that says it all..., OR NOT! https://ventura.craigslist.org/for/d...337554534.html

The other thing I see a lot on CL is "Clean Title" which far more often than not means "I don't know and I'm too lazy to look." So, they state "Clean Title" because they can't prove that it isn't. Lame logic. And let me throw in that here in So. Cal. the SELLER HAS to smog any 1976 and newer vehicle within 90 days of the sale. The law does not allow for the buyer to assume that responsibility. Yet about 1% of the cars on CL state that have been smog tested. The rest are either naive of the responsibility or they deliberately refuse to acknowledge it. And while there may be a verbal, even written agreement that the buyer will smog the vehicle..., guess what? That won't hold up in court and the seller will be forced to complete the (passing) test or refund the money.

At the risk of scorn I'd like to bring this "home" by saying here on the SDC site far too often post Subjects will be things like "What do you think, Will it work, Now what am I going to do?, etc." Hello, people..., this in not Floyd's barber shop in Mayberry where according to the script you walk in, make a comment and we can read your mind! Plus those types of Subjects are impossible to search and be helpful to others.

All the best in your venture. If you can't get the information you want (regardless of perceived condition and price being desirable) it is likely best to just move on. Otherwise it is like the young beauty in high school who is sending all the right signals your way..., only to find out they are for someone sitting behind you.
    Last edited by wittsend; 11-01-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

I hate it when people say they are thinking of selling and just dink around as if their real mission is fishing for compliments on their car....perhaps thinking of someone offering them double value out of nowhere.

Don't waste my time!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Silver Hawk Member
    On the other hand, when the poor description keeps something from selling for a month or two, there are good deals to be had. That's how I've purchased several items over the years. Bob
    , ,

President Member
    I recently responded to an ad on Facebook (yes, they now have a classifieds section) for a 1970 VW bug. Car was described as in good condition but didn't run due to overheating, so it couldn't be driven. After several Facebook conversations the owner said she was frustrated with all the no-shows and that if I wanted the car to bring cash to her. The problem was that she was in a remote rural location with no cell phone service. It was probably legitimate, but the idea of the seller asking to a buyer to bring cash to remote location smacked of the opportunity to get robbed so I passed on the car. Be careful out there, especially if the seller wants you to bring several thousand dollars in cash to a remote location.
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

President Member
    Drop the wife, friend etc. off at the closest public place (like the Library) leaving the cash with them. Then go look at the car. If it turns out you want it, tell the seller you will only complete the deal at the very public location the money is at. If they really want to sell they will comply.

BTW, while this thread involves buying, be careful as a seller too. I once sold a car on Friday with the guy picking it up on Monday. Over the weekend he posted it for sale before he even owned it. Then on Monday he rushed off to a waiting buyer. He portrayed himself as me since my name was on the just signed over title. I found all this out because a week prior I had someone inquire about the car. I described it truthfully as an end of #5 car that barely ran and had no brakes (except the frozen one). That buyer declined but appreciated my truthfulness. The guy portraying me had described it as a #3 driver and it turned out his waiting buyer was the same guy. Needless to say he was PISSED having driven over 100 miles one way. It is amazing how a near #6 towed car became a #3 driver during the 20 minute drive to meet the waiting buyer.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I hate it when people say they are thinking of selling and just dink around as if their real mission is fishing for compliments on their car....perhaps thinking of someone offering them double value out of nowhere.

Don't waste my time!
    The line that irks me is "Just testing the waters" No you're not. Be honest, it should say the truth which is" Are there any suckers out there who will pay too much for my junk?"

Quote Originally Posted by avanti-hawk View Post
    The line that irks me is "Just testing the waters" No you're not. Be honest, it should say the truth which is" Are there any suckers out there who will pay too much for my junk?"
    Exactly.........
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.