Thread: Army boot camp PT test question...

Army boot camp PT test question...

Curiosity question for those who may know.... Can't find any reference to this in some quick research and don't personally know anybody I could ask whose been in the military.

The son of a cousin of mine graduated from HS this past spring and enlisted in the US Army. He left for boot camp in August. I think probably Ft Jackson in SC. Was talking to my Mom about this a few days ago, 2nd or 3rd hand info from my aunt (young man's grandma) is that he failed his physical test. Not sure if he is "kicked out" now that I read up on what this could mean. Mom didn't know.

So, I got to wondering if for this test, they had to do long march's or run with a heavy loaded pack. So far I could find out, its push-ups, sit-ups, and a 2 mile run. No mention if a heavy pack for that run.

The reason I was wondering about that is the guy is slight of build and not very tall. Kind of scrawny IMO. Last saw him at a family gathering in July. So, hauling like a 50lb backpack around on a run over terrain may have been a pretty big load. I've read that deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan often have 60-100lbs of gear.

Jeff in ND

AFAIK the Army physical fitness test (PFT) still involves a timed two mile run, max push-ups in two minutes, and max sit-ups in two minutes. Likely your relative was given an initial PFT for a baseline score, and there will be more PFTs later, to measure improvement. If his initial PFT score was extremely low, i.e. needed over 18 minutes for the run, did less than 20 push-ups, and/or did less than 30 sit-ups, he may be placed in a remedial PT program for awhile. There, the focus would be on helping him come up to minimum standard, before reintegrating with later starting recruit platoon.

Many candidates begin preparing while still in high school, if they enlisted while still in high school, on a delayed entry program. Local recruiters, and/or ROTC NCOs are usually involved with the high schoolers, and help insure candidates will meet minimum standards upon start of actual recruit training.

Speedster Member
    Scary.......scariest term, when I was in basic, was recycle, which meant one was required to start the basic training cycle all over. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

If it works for him like it did my wife's brother, you will hardly know him when he returns. My brother-in-law was a skinny kid when he left for booth camp and when he returned he was all muscled up and even appeared taller. I wondered what they fed him.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.

I know a guy who couldn't get in because he was unable to do a pull up.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
    I know a guy who couldn't get in because he was unable to do a pull up.
    That sounds more like a Marine Corp PFT. They do a pull-ups instead of push-ups, and must do at least three pull-ups. They also do a timed three mile run, and timed sit-ups. For females, they can simply hang off the pull-up bar for x-amount of seconds, and do not need to do any pull-ups.
    The MC also now, for the last 10 years or so, has a CFT (Combat Fitness Test), in addition to the PFT. The CFT is more in line with overall strength and endurance, i.e. dragging a fellow Marine x-number of meters to "safety". For decades, Marines have been saying, "show me a guy running three miles in combat and I'll show you a guy going the wrong way"; the CFT addressed that issue, by measuring fitness in other ways.

They also now have, MCMAP (Marine Corp Martial Arts Program), and it even includes a colored belt system that is authorized for wear with field uniforms. The Army has something similar to MCMAP, but I believe they call it, "Combatives".

President Member
    A few years back a young guy at church joined the Army. His father was morbidly obese and the kid was definitely "pudgy." This kid lost a whole bunch of weight but couldn't pass the tests collectively. Apparently he passed each one with a delay but they had to be completed together in a specific time frame. He went through a significant amount of "personal" training on repeated attempts to get him through the testing, but after he exhausted every opportunity he was released.

I don't know if he was genetically incapable, or just had no concept of "pushing himself." I don't think his obese father set any kind of positive example for him. But, anyway, it seems people at both ends of the spectrum can have their difficulties.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Thanks all for the comments.

I am sure eventually I find out if he is "out" or has to do remedial effort and tries again. I don't think he has much in other prospects if the military does not work out so I hope its not "out".

Jeff in ND