Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: L6 and V8 transmission differences

Howdy everyone!

So I have a 61 OHV 6 with a 3spd OD Lark that I've brought back to life, well running. The clutch is toast and it'll need replacing but when I got under the car yesterday I swore it had an adapter plate, is that normal? My 65 Ranchero has a V8 3.03 trans in it with an adapter plate for the 200 L6 and the bigger bell housing which is why I noticed this. Are there any physical features that set the L6 and the V8 Stude trannys apart or should there be any sort of plate at all? I'll post pictures tomorrow

Thanks guys!

In '61, the six was equipped with a Warner model T96 transmission, and the V8 with a T86. The latter is bigger, and has a six-screw top cover, while the T96 has a 4-screw top cover. They are similar in overall appearnce, though. The numbers will be molded into the main case casting, quite prominently. Some of the "long-tail" transmissions have a dummy overdrive housing incorporated, that might be mistaken for an adaptor plate.

Now, if your car has had a '65 or '66 engine/transmission combo swapped into it, the will indeed be an adaptor plate between the aluminum Chevy-style bellhousing and the Warner transmission.

Stude OHV six: carb on passenger side of car. McKinnon (Chevy) six, carb on left.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

FYI Ryan, an L6 is a Flathead, a I6 is an OHV, your '61 should have an OHV Stude. 170 6 Cyl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deluxe Six 2 Doora.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1716990
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Your Lark is 55 or so years old, so there is no telling what may have been done to it. The smaller flathead 6 cylinders and the OHV 6 cylinders did have an 'engine plate' sandwiched between the engine and bellhousing. Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

For the 8E trucks ('63/'64) with the OHV six, these had a special engine plate which adapted a V8 bellhousing to the OHV six block; these same plates were used on some late model Taxis also (don't remember the exact years and don't have access to my Parts Manuals at the moment).

Hope this helps.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          FYI Ryan, an L6 is a Flathead, a I6 is an OHV, your '61 should have an OHV Stude. 170 6 Cyl.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68169[/ATTACH]
          Oh sorry for the confusion then it's and l6 170 OHV

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Your Lark is 55 or so years old, so there is no telling what may have been done to it. The smaller flathead 6 cylinders and the OHV 6 cylinders did have an 'engine plate' sandwiched between the engine and bellhousing. Perhaps this is what you are referring to?

For the 8E trucks ('63/'64) with the OHV six, these had a special engine plate which adapted a V8 bellhousing to the OHV six block; these same plates were used on some late model Taxis also (don't remember the exact years and don't have access to my Parts Manuals at the moment).

Hope this helps.
            It might be the engine plate then. I'll try to take a picture here in a little bit. I'd try to see how many bolts there are up top but that might be difficult without dropping the tranny.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68169[/ATTACH]
              Also what kind of carb is the car supposed to Have? Now it has a Rochester Model B but the air cleaner (looks like the one in the pic) doesn't fit it. It's like the carb isn't tall enough b/c the manual choke hits it.

Comment

Measure that support plate. Cars should have a 3/16" plate and the trucks a 5/16" plate. And in those plates I have seen the starter position all over the place.

Comment

A '61 would have a Carter Model "AS" one barrel Carb.
                  A GM Carb. will not do anything correctly on a Stude. Engine. You need the correct Carb. or a Chevy Air Cleaner.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A GM Carb. will not do anything correctly on a Stude. Engine. You need the correct Carb. or a Chevy Air Cleaner.
                    What do you mean by not do anything correctly? Like advance timing and such? I got a weber 32/36 on my Ford 200 and that works amazingly, so I'm trying to understand by what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      Measure that support plate. Cars should have a 3/16" plate and the trucks a 5/16" plate. And in those plates I have seen the starter position all over the place.
                      By those measurements, do you mean the thickness of it or what? The starter is mounted on the driver side between the steering box and the block.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        By those measurements, do you mean the thickness of it or what? The starter is mounted on the driver side between the steering box and the block.

Comment

Is this the carb I'm looking for?
                          Last edited by StarDiero75; 10-31-2017, 07:29 AM. Reason: Needs picture

Comment

Yes, Thickness.This one is off a 8E5.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                              Your Lark is 55 or so years old, so there is no telling what may have been done to it.

Quite so. Back when I was actively buying cars, I always looked for the ones that had the fewest number of previous owners. It seemed like every owner wanted to add his own personal touch. I found that neglect was much easier to fix than overly energetic moronic fiddling.
                              Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X