Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "mystery" Avanti trans control plate...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: The "mystery" Avanti trans control plate...........

So the Avanti parts book lists p/n 1556327 which is a trans control cover plate for 3&4 speed Avantis before s/n 4849.
    My question, what purpose does this plate serve? It seems that after s/n 4849 this plate was not used, why not?... if it was necessary before that s/n? My Avanti has the plate and is after the aforementioned s/n.

Maybe Bez can "weigh' in???

I don't have the book in front of me. Are you talking about the hole cover plate on the passenger side console? Those are access for the powershift rear band adjustment. Now you got me curious, and I'll have to look it up out in the shop.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ok, so I see it is the metal plate under the shifter console upholstered fiberglass cover. I will look on some later cars, they may have done away with it and made the fiberglass thicker, and deemed it unnecessary.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        I don't have the book in front of me. Are you talking about the hole cover plate on the passenger side console? Those are access for the powershift rear band adjustment. Now you got me curious, and I'll have to look it up out in the shop.
        Page 206 illustration 2138-34

Comment

Seems odd they would put one in on my car if as you say the fibreglass was made thicker........but the main question is....what purpose does it serve?......maybe to keep road noise down???
          Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          Ok, so I see it is the metal plate under the shifter console upholstered fiberglass cover. I will look on some later cars, they may have done away with it and made the fiberglass thicker, and deemed it unnecessary.

Comment

Another thought Bez,........if I removed that plate what would be the resultant effect??

Comment

The plate provides a positive seal against engine fumes/smell in the cab - a gasket must be used.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                The plate provides a positive seal against engine fumes/smell in the cab - a gasket must be used.
                If that is true, then why did Studebaker do away with it after that s/n???
                My car also has the gasket.

Comment

At the same time they also changed the part number for the shift boot. Need someone with a 4 speed Avanti after SN 4849 to check and see what
                  Studebaker did. The gasket is listed for all
                  Ron

Comment

Could the elimination of the plate correspond to the addition of the fresh air cooling hoses that were added to '64's? With them, air probably flows out of the console to the underside of the car. Where was the plate, on cars that had them? Would it have blocked air flow?
                    When I got my '64, [Made Oct. '63. ser#5xxx, with cooling hoses], it had a new shift boot. Oddly, there was also a new gasket loose "under there", but no sign of the plate. I don't remember any place for the plate, either. I think the previous owner bought the gasket with the boot because it was in the parts book; and didn't know what to do with it! It now resides in a box with some other spare parts. It will probably last longer there.
                    If someone has the service letter about retro fitting the cooling hoses to early cars handy, does it mention removing the plate?
                    Mike M

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
                    At the same time they also changed the part number for the shift boot. Need someone with a 4 speed Avanti after SN 4849 to check and see what
                    Studebaker did. The gasket is listed for all
                    Ron
                    Last edited by Mike; 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

The plate went on the top of the gasket, then the fiberglass, look on page 206 of the parts book to see it. console cover finished off the interior.
                      Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      Could the elimination of the plate correspond to the addition of the fresh air cooling hoses that were added to '64's? With them, air probably flows out of the console to the underside of the car. Where was the plate, on cars that had them? Would it have blocked air flow?
                      When I got my '64, [Made Oct. '63. ser#5xxx, with cooling hoses], it had a new shift boot. Oddly, there was also a new gasket loose "under there", but no sign of the plate. I don't remember any place for the plate, either. I think the previous owner bought the gasket with the boot because it was in the parts book; and didn't know what to do with it! It now resides in a box with some other spare parts. It will probably last longer there.
                      If someone has the service letter about retro fitting the cooling hoses to early cars handy, does it mention removing the plate?
                      Mike M

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                        The plate went on the top of the gasket, then the fiberglass, look on page 206 of the parts book to see it. console cover finished off the interior.
                        I can't tell from the drawing in the parts book how much space there would be between the console cover and the plate. If the plate was supposed to somewhat close off the underside of the car from the console, it would block the air exhausting the console around the shifter, which it was supposed to cool. A considerable amount of air is blown into that area and has to go somewhere. You wouldn't it leaking into the interior.
                        Mike

Comment

Those cooling tubes were only on cars with no air conditioning, all cars built with a/c had no tubes.
                          Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          I can't tell from the drawing in the parts book how much space there would be between the console cover and the plate. If the plate was supposed to somewhat close off the underside of the car from the console, it would block the air exhausting the console around the shifter, which it was supposed to cool. A considerable amount of air is blown into that area and has to go somewhere. You wouldn't it leaking into the interior.
                          Mike

Comment

The attached photo should put to rest the question as to whether all 63/64 Avantis had the console shifter sealing plate and gasket. All Avantis with the auxiliary cowl vent should have the hoses that exit below the shift mechanism regardless of A/C or not. This is the 2nd last Avanti and the plate, gasket and hoses are clearly visible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R3 Cab Detail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1717094

Comment

Working...
                            X