Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How to pre oil a OHV 6

Howdy everyone,

I got a 61 Lark OHV 6 that I resurrected from the dead and got running. But since everything else is not functional at the moment I don't start it often. I haven't started it now in about 2 months and I'll start messing with it again come the middle of December, any ideas how to pre oil it so it doesn't wear a bunch? I've maybe run the thing twice since I got it working in July.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Pull coil wire and spin it over bout 10 to 15 seconds or more.
    Kim

Comment

It is going to have plenty of Oil still clinging to the Cylinder walls after only 3 or 4 Months.
      It IS in a damp climate, but if it's out in the rain, and you are concerned, just remove the Spark Plugs and Oil her up!
      Very easy on a 6, 2 or 3 Pumps of an Oil Can trying for the OUTSIDE of the cylinders will do it.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Oh great! Thanks! I've heard other stuff like hooking up a drill to the oil pump shaft and spin it for a few moments but squirting a bit of oil in the cylinders is a good idea.
        Thanks again!

Comment

That s nice an easy to do. I'll probably do a combo of squirting some oil in the cylinders and cranking it longer. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

I preoiled ours by removing the pipe plug on the oil pump and with a hand pump forcing it in , I made some adapters from the hand pump, I don't think you can spin the oil pump with a drill because of the way the pump is driven by the cam. Ed

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
              I preoiled ours by removing the pipe plug on the oil pump and with a hand pump forcing it in , I made some adapters from the hand pump, I don't think you can spin the oil pump with a drill because of the way the pump is driven by the cam. Ed
              This was going to be my suggestion for the 6 cylinder but Ed beat me to it.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I may be commenting beyond my qualifications, so any of you "real" mechanics feel free to enlighten us (me). On the flat head six cylinders, if my memory serves me right, the manual has instructions for positioning the oil pump for the distributor tang to engage to properly "clock" (index into position) the distributor. I will be surprised if that changed for the overhead valve engine. Using one of the pipe plugs to pre oil the engine seems to be the best suggestion to me. In the case of this engine, however, I don't think it has sat so long as to require the procedure.

To me, even if the engine had been torn down and reassembled, as long as assembly lubrication was used, the main thing on a six cylinder, is to make sure to "prime" the oil pump before starting. I have even heard of folks packing an oil pump with petroleum jelly for priming. For mine, I always used a small pump oiler with a tapered nozzle to pump motor oil into the oil pressure gauge fitting. That has never failed to prime the pump.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  I may be commenting beyond my qualifications, so any of you "real" mechanics feel free to enlighten us (me). On the flat head six cylinders, if my memory serves me right, the manual has instructions for positioning the oil pump for the distributor tang to engage to properly "clock" (index into position) the distributor. I will be surprised if that changed for the overhead valve engine. Using one of the pipe plugs to pre oil the engine seems to be the best suggestion to me. In the case of this engine, however, I don't think it has sat so long as to require the procedure.

To me, even if the engine had been torn down and reassembled, as long as assembly lubrication was used, the main thing on a six cylinder, is to make sure to "prime" the oil pump before starting. I have even heard of folks packing an oil pump with petroleum jelly for priming. For mine, I always used a small pump oiler with a tapered nozzle to pump motor oil into the oil pressure gauge fitting. That has never failed to prime the pump.
                  I'll probably try a bit of everything. I know I'm probably being a little over the top but I really don't want to have to rebuild this engine since I don't have the money to do that so I'm trying to protect it as much as I can.

That's a beautiful truck by the way.

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Working...
                  X