Thread: How much of the original vehicle must remain ?

President Member

How much of the original vehicle must remain ?

The first site talks about the find of a VW bus in a field, the second shows the restorations progress
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...o-restoration/
    http://samba.vewib.de/
    In the past, there has been talk of how much of a vehicle must remain after a restoration.
    Seem like it doesn't take much for VW enthusiasts.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

President Member
    For P51 Mustang owners, a data plate is plenty.

If you have a serial number plate for a Corvette, you can go to Carlisle in August and build car around it. It won't be original but many have been fooled by such goings on.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

President Member
    If we're talking about cars which are 50+ years old, then there are virtually none which are 100% factory original.

All will have had some parts replaced, some will have had many parts replaced, some will have had most parts replaced.

Some of the replacement parts will be factory original, some will be salvaged, some will be reproduction. Some of the reproduced parts will be near perfect, some almost perfect, some will be close or near close.

There is no answer to your question except "it depends" on Who is judging, or advertising, or buying. There are cars which have not one single as-delivered original part, but they look and perform just like factory original. And there are some 100% factory original cars whic are so badly decomposed that they are totally worthless.

So, which would you prefer, a Stude GH which is 100% original and is no more than a pile of wrecked and rusty parts, or one which looks and performs like new, but is composed of mostly salvaged and reproduced parts?
    I think the correct answer is that a legally titled car which looks and performs close to original is what it's title says it is, even if all of it's parts are not originaltothat title.
    Last edited by jnormanh; 10-27-2017 at 08:51 PM.

President Member
    In the Sunbeam Tiger community if you take an Alpine and transfer over the Tiger specific parts..., and try and pass it off as a real Tiger - it will not go well for you. An Alpine is an Alpine. A Tiger is a Tiger - and an Alpine with Tiger transferred parts is an "Alger."

http://www.rootes1.com/ Then scroll down to mid-page and click on anything that says "Alger, Fraud, Caution." For some reason I can't direct link as the sections seem to be pages within pages. You can only link to the home page and navigate from there.

To get to your specific question (at least in the Tiger world) the question does come up. And since there is no one but the self appointed guardians of the marquee to decide there is not a specific answer. There is an authentication committee but they only certify that there are enough elements to say the car is an original Tiger. They never say it isn't. They just say there is not enough elements to confirm that it is. That said quarter panels, floor pan sections, doors, hoods, trunks all get replace and cars are still authenticated. There are just very specific things that separate the Tiger from the Alpine. Most of the distinguishing elements are in the unibody frame/floor. One of the more difficult to hide is the Alpine had a spot welded in battery box behind the passenger seat. The Tiger had none having had the battery in the trunk. BTW, the Tiger has a riveted on VIN plate and a screwed on Jensen ID plate when they needed to ID the modifications they did. The body has NO stampings for ID purposes.

Just to be clear you can put a Ford V-8 (and everything else "Tiger") in an Alpine and all is good with these guys. Just don't try and pass it off as an original Tiger. Anyway, that is one marquee's opinion of "Original." For the most part self appointed but still feared and revered.
    Last edited by wittsend; 10-27-2017 at 11:07 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
    The first site talks about the find of a VW bus in a field, the second shows the restorations progress
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...o-restoration/
    http://samba.vewib.de/
    In the past, there has been talk of how much of a vehicle must remain after a restoration.
    Seem like it doesn't take much for VW enthusiasts.
    Here's three pages discussing this very same thing.
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=radiator+cap
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

President Member
    My truck is sitting on a Chevy 1/2 ton frame , Has a 355 SBC ,Block hugger headers , 700R4 trans , 3:73 12 bolt limited slip . Has Dakota digital gauges . Vintage Air , heat and defrost . Has tilt steering column , Power Steering , Power disc brakes . Also I built the bed and tailgate .And retained the short running boards off the M16 I started with . It is titled as a 1946 Studebaker pickup . And better yet , has won 2 most original trophies !
    Last edited by rodnutrandy; 10-28-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Speedster Member
    Its a beautiful truck, and I'm sure very driveable, but I think most original is a bit of a stretch when it isn't even the stock chassis. This is not to bash your truck at all, because its great that you saved it, and get it out to shows for people to enjoy, but the most original could only cover sheet metal and interior.

President Member
    Yes it is a beautiful truck. Great creativity and workmanship.
    "Original" can mean anything you want it to mean.
    After all, everything on that truck is original to that truck, the way you originally built it.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    Its a beautiful truck, and I'm sure very driveable, but I think most original is a bit of a stretch when it isn't even the stock chassis. This is not to bash your truck at all, because its great that you saved it, and get it out to shows for people to enjoy, but the most original could only cover sheet metal and interior.
    I agree with you . for my truck to get most original shows how little is known about these trucks . It should never get a most original trophy !
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

President Member
    In my opinion, it should only make a difference at the time that the "restored" car is resold. Full disclosure should always be a part of every sale.

I have heard you can start with the radiator cap and build from there, as long as the cap is original.

Commander Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    If you have a serial number plate for a Corvette, you can go to Carlisle in August and build car around it. It won't be original but many have been fooled by such goings on.
    Even some the serial number plates(VIN) look sketchy to me! There twice as many 1967 Corvette 427 convertibles now than there was back in '67

Speedster Member
    rodnutrandy: I'll bet those most original trophies were won at SDC shows!!!!! stupak