Thread: Craig's List searches?

Craig's List searches?

I see quite a few members in the general discussion area of this forum mention seeing things on Craig's List that are not in their general area. Is there a way to search Craig's List nationally, or do you have to search by city individually?

I've been an SDC member since 1977 and have a pretty good handle on who to contact and where to buy Studebaker parts, but I'm starting to look for some '32 Chevrolet parts (I know, I'm straying from the fold) that I'm hoping street rodders are trying to dispose of and it seems Craig's List might be a good source.

Thanks. Tom

Silver Hawk Member
    www.searchtempest.com will do it. Bob
    , ,

these sites are NOT affiliated with Craig's list.

http://www.onecraigs.com/

https://www.searchtempest.com/

http://www.dailylister.com/

http://www.searchcraigslist.org/

And there are others as well.

This might help, you can join FREE and post an ad in parts wanted.

www.jalopyjournal.com/

Johnny

I use craigslist for mostly local stuff. I have bought building supplies, tools, fencing, farm & garden stuff from there, and an occasional Stidebaker item. But...for the truly rare stuff, either SDC swap meets, SDC vendors, or eBay. For very common (ordinary) brands, like Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, etc., I suspect eBay is the best option. Folks on eBay are familiar with, and expect to get interests in their offerings from far away places, and generally expect to ship, except for the most difficult to package/ship items.

On the other hand, Craigslist sellers sometimes won't even respond to sellers after a certain distance. When I was selling a tractor, I had some inquiries as far away as New Jersey. I ignored any inquiry that could not drive here in less than half a day. Big time scammers are afoot on eBay & Craigslist. It takes a good bit of experience in surfing the ads in both venues to recognize the scams, but certain wordings, practices, and signs will come into focus that indicate which ads are scams. Even with experience, an attitude of caution and skepticism is essential.

Currently, I am thinking about upgrading my motorcycle ride. My 22 year old cruiser is getting a little dated. I'm getting older, and the challenge of manhandling a heavy cruiser is not going to be any easier as I slide into my mid-70's. But, I'm not ready to give it up. So, I'm looking at more modern, lighter, maneuverable ride, with heated grips, seats, ABS, etc., as offered on mid weight BMW'S, Triumph, Indian Scouts, & Japanese Bikes. Craigslist, is my main local search, but I am also checking out other sources. However, those asking for "CASH ONLY," will have to agree on "Bank Transfers," because I'll not be approaching any stranger with that much cash. Not even if the meeting place is the local police station.

I will be armed, but if they can use a computer to advertise...then they should be intelligent enough to cooperate in completing an electronic bank transfer. I've said all that to emphasize that while CRAIGSLIST is a valuable resource, it has its pluses and minuses like any other feature. I have used some of the third party craigslist search sites, but even with the most specific search terms, craigslist results are sketchy and unreliable. Also, craigslist has very little recourse or customer support if things go wrong. For your '32 Chevy, you will probably get better results on eBay. Attempting a national search on craigslist will be awfully frustrating and probably time consuming. Good luck with your search. Heck, you might even mention what you are looking for here. No telling what some of us are tripping over that you could use.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Thanks for the responses and websites. I have now used some of them. It can be tedious, but I hoped to expand what was available in a reasonable distance. From here in northwest Louisiana (where there doesn't ever seem to be anything available) I usually check Dallas - Ft Worth, Houston, little Rock, Jackson, MS, Lafayette, LA, and sometimes Oklahoma City and Tulsa. I really don't mind traveling long distances to get parts or cars I need. In the last several years Brenda and I have gone to Los Angeles and Wisconsin to pick up cars I've bought off e-Bay. I've also driven to central Florida to just look at a '37 President (didn't buy it).

Yes John, actually both of us are armed when we carry a lot of cash, and have practiced how we handle the meet with sellers. I'm willing to take the risk of that felony weapons charge in those states where my concealed hand gun permit is not valid (the usual suspects --- NY, NJ, MA, CA, IL, DC, etc)

We've also practiced who answers the doorbell at night and who is just around the corner of the foyer with that short-barreled 12-gauge pump.

in any case, what I'm looking for now is a complete drive train for a '32 Chevrolet. I bought a '32 Chevrolet roadster a couple of years ago from a friend who knew I was looking for a project (just before I couldn't resist that '35 Commander in Los Angeles) I have a completely rebuilt '34 engine to go in it, but Chevrolet club forum members tell me that it would be heresy to use that engine in a '32.

I have finally met folks (on line, not in person) who are as devout (read anal) as some Studebaker fans about keeping cars original. Once the main guru of the Chvrolet forum spoke, there were no more responses to my request for info about issues relating to installing a '34 engine in a '32 roadster

Tom