Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a room reservation at LaQuinta Hotel for the 2018 International Convention

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a room reservation at LaQuinta Hotel for the 2018 International Convention

We've had reports that some people have had troubles making room reservations at LaQuinta Hotel in Tacoma for the International Convention August 29-31, Sept 1, 2018. There is a correct procedure to be sure you get your room at the hotel:

Do NOT call the "800" number for LaQuinta, as that will direct your call to a "national" reservation desk in Texas (or elsewhere). They have NO knowledge of a Studebaker Convention at their Tacoma location, and they have NO knowledge of a guaranteed room rate for the Studebaker Drivers Club. Making a reservation through their "800" number will get you a reservation for the days of the meet at the going national rate, which is substantially higher.

Call the local number for LaQuinta (253-383-0146), and listen CAREFULLY to the instructions in their entirety. If, before you listen to the entire message, you take "Option 1", you will be directed to their "national" reservation desk (see above), and they will have NO knowledge of a guaranteed room rate.

Instead, take "Option 5", which will direct your call to the Tacoma LaQuinta front reservation desk, where you can make your reservation for the meet.

Again, "Option 5", when calling 253-383-0146 for your reservation will get you the Studebaker rate. There IS a "Studebaker" rate on the block of rooms the club has guaranteed.

Denny Foust
    Convention Chairman

814-441-4799
    studeguy54@verizon.net

Posts on Facebook indicate that there are only seven rooms left at that hotel as of this morning...
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I booked my room in August, and am looking forward to the drive out there. We are looping through Canada at some point, spending a few days in Coquitlam, BC & then heading down to Tacoma. We are returning via Salt Lake City & who knows where else. Sorry, not driving the Avanti as the trunk isn't large enough for all the "stuff" that we will be carrying.

Comment

At least 2 hotels have the 800 number if the front desk does not pick up. So be sure you get the front desk, Almost made that mistake at the Best Western too.

La Quinta, is sold out, Best Western has the most rooms left, and the Holiday inn only has 6 left.

The Best Western is the closest to the swap meet, etc.....

Deaf mute be sure to swing North after the show, there may be more 'Stude events' to see. More info as I get it.

Comment

lodging impossible

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          At least 2 hotels have the 800 number if the front desk does not pick up. So be sure you get the front desk, Almost made that mistake at the Best Western too.

La Quinta, is sold out, Best Western has the most rooms left, and the Holiday inn only has 6 left.

The Best Western is the closest to the swap meet, etc.....

Deaf mute be sure to swing North after the show, there may be more 'Stude events' to see. More info as I get it.
          Downtown Tac lodging is at a premium, so unless I want to rent a flea bag several miles from downtown, I am looking at about $200./night on top of the outa sight cost of swap spaces and the travel costs of getting there from Houston. Probably going to have to skip this one:-(.

Comment

Barry, did you try one of the meet hotels? They negotiated a very good rate which it seems is lower than past meets. if you cannot get into the hotel of your choice, there will also be room cancellations later on from those who are planning on going but family and life change their plans as always happens. You can walk to the swap from the Best Western which would probably be the best fit for you and Pam.

The SWAP meet area is more pricey than past meets but to be fair the rental price is actually quite a bit more than SDC is charging the vendors. Steven Allen is going to be there with a huge layout which as you know will help draw a lot of buyers into the swap meet. There are a lot of SDC members restoring cars in the Northwest as they are normally in very nice condition compared to what some of us find in our local areas. These members will be standing there drooling over your parts. I also think that the belief that there are untouched NOS parts in that area will draw other parts buyers from other parts of the world. Your attendance at the meet will introduce you to new customers.

Also, generally meets on that coasts do not have as many vendors attending, thus those that do attend normally do well.

I hope you change your mind and are able to attend
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Hi Barry,
              We too hope to see you again. I hope you can find a cancellation as we too are traveling a fair distance (nothing like you of course) for this special event and look forward to meeting our "Studebaker friends".
              Cheers,
              Bill & Sonja

Comment

Barry D and others, Latest room reserved counts show some rooms left at the Holiday Inn. When those are closer to being filled the commitee will approach the 3 Hotels for more rooms, we didn't want to do that until our origional commitment for rooms per the Hotel contracts were met. As for the costs of swap meet spaces, SDC has stepped up to rent 1/2 of the Tacoma Dome, if those spaces fill we will be allowed to expand the swap meet area. This is inside climate controlled so no worries about heat or rain. Lou Cote

Comment

Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
                  Barry D and others, Latest room reserved counts show some rooms left at the Holiday Inn. When those are closer to being filled the commitee will approach the 3 Hotels for more rooms, we didn't want to do that until our origional commitment for rooms per the Hotel contracts were met. As for the costs of swap meet spaces, SDC has stepped up to rent 1/2 of the Tacoma Dome, if those spaces fill we will be allowed to expand the swap meet area. This is inside climate controlled so no worries about heat or rain. Lou Cote
                  Any updated info on the other hotels?
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    Any updated info on the other hotels?
                    Originally I was not planning on going to the meet, due to job changes but now I can. Any update of Hotels available? I will not have a car or rent one so I am at the mercy of public transportation or taxi. What places are near the Meet Hotel? I plan on arriving Tuesday and check out on Friday. I have not yet contacted the other two hotels will being checking tomorrow after work.

Our director will not be able to attend the board meeting and has asked me to attend.

Bob Miles
                    Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Don't forget to call the LaQuinta directly (not the reservation line) and see if they have any cancellations.
                      Luck,
                      Bill

Comment

Bill,

That was going to be my next question: if anyone that was planning to go had to cancel to let me know. As I work doing night audit and guest services at a hotel, many times the sales manager/general manager with a cancellation will not place the room back in the block but put in back in general inventory to obtain a higher price. I called one other hotel on the list (2am in the morning) and they had one room for one night only. The other I called at around the same time did not know where to find the block/rate and said for me to call Monday when the sales manager was in to see about a reservation.

Looking around the zipcode for hotels has been discouraging. There is an area nearby that the prices are as one of my former gm's said the rate is the pusher/pimp/hooker rate. Some of the reviews on other motels were so bad that one person said they would have been better off sleeping in there car. Well that is not an option for me as I am flying in on Tuesday so I can be at the board meeting in place of Malcolm Stinson. Malcolm emailed me a few days ago and said he can't make it and asked me as Zone Coordinator to take his place. So this is why the short notice for me to make it. Monday looks to be a busy day. Glad I am off work that day.

Bob Miles
                        Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Bill,

I would strongly suggest you call LaQuinta about a room reservation. These is always some recision in the rooms in the weeks leading to the meet. People, for one reason or another decide not to attend. If you cannot get a room in the general area of the LaQuinta, there are a lot of hotels a few miles from the LaQuinta, and right off the Interstate. Shilo Inn comes to mind. I stayed in the area last July at one of the other hotels a bit removed from the LaQuinta and did not see any of the people you mentioned in those areas. I would NOT, however, recommend staying in your car overnight. No need to do that.

We'll look forward to seeing you there, and good luck on finding a room at the LaQuinta.

Comment

As things turn out, one of our chapter members is not able to attend. They have reservations at Best Western for Wednesday to Friday. I am coming in Tuesday and leaving Saturday morning so all I have to do is find a room for Tuesday, check with LaQuinta and see if they do have a room block available then decide which way to go. I am looking forward to this meeting, the meetings, the cars, the meal and hope to go to LeMay.

See you all there
                            Bob Miles
                            Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator 2018-2020

Comment

Working...
                            X