No announcement yet.

Testing a booster on a non running car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Testing a booster on a non running car?

63 Avanti, brakes are crap. The pedal wont even move. I'm going to replace everything, hoses, pipes, cylinders, Turner brakes.

Can I test the booster without the car running?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

You could hook it up to a source of vacuum (long hose to another car?), and see if it holds vacuum. But I don't see how you could check it for being effective if the brake pedal is stuck like you say.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The MC is a solid mass of rust, I'm replacing everything except rear brake drums and backing plates. Maybe it's best to replace the booster too. I'd hate to have it all done and then find out the booster is bad. It's off and I can move the push rod, but I see dum dum all around the front and rear halves, so I'm just going to replace it or have it rebuilt.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Wow, I just checked Bob Johnstone's site and found that NAPA has these boosters, I would not have guessed it was used on much of anything else.... and my store actually has one on the shelf! $122 even! SOLD!
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

What is the Napa #. I need a spare.
          Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Ron

As with Bob Johnstone's site there are other references that you may find useful as you move forward in your quest. This was generated by N.Nagel (N8N) in 2010. It covers Studes and Avanti's and it needs referencing occasionally. It wouldn't answer the booster question but it will help with others.

FYI, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 11SecAvanti View Post
              What is the Napa #. I need a spare.
              NBB5473603... and no surprise, it's not on the shelf like their inventory said.... maybe don't have one anywhere, but they will send it to Cardone for the same price and around 2 weeks turn time.
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
              X