1964 Daytona convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Daytona convertible

Just had the "Granatelli Daytona" (64V18827) re-painted in original Laguna Blue using modern base-coat/clear-coat. That allowed me to jump to my next objective which was to put the stainless rocker panel moldings from a four-door '64 Cruiser on a two-door '64 Daytona. Managed to find NOS Cruiser moldings. Had to cut them down to 72.25" so they'd fit. Obviously not a stock configuration for a Daytona but I think they give the car a more finished look.

David Daoust
    Stratham, NH

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1755934
    Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1755933
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Laguna Blue

Looks great!!

Was the color a bit off before repaint? -- I ask because I have two '64's -- a Challenger Wagonaire that is that is correct Studebaker Laguna Blue repaint matches the original body tag perfectly and a Daytona Sedan that is slightly off and looks a bit like the color of the convertible in your avatar before the repaint.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the color is on the Daytona Sedan?

Bill J.
    Attached Files
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Is it original paint on the Challenger? Or...how old is the paint on the Challenger? Is it possible that the paint on the Challenger has faded a bit and the paint on the Daytona is newer? Old paint were often applied as single stage while new paints are two-stage. Older paint applications are subject to fading

I will say this...I have lots of pictures of my Daytona before the re-paint and the color often looks very different from one photo to the next. Just depends on the amount (or lack) of sunlight as well as the angle of sun. In some photos it looks much lighter than in others.

My paint guy used the original Laguna Blue paint code. Either way....I wouldn't worry too much about the slight differences in your two cars. They both look great!

Last note: Interesting that we have the same license plate on our Daytonas! 64Stude

Originally posted by bjackameit View Post
      Looks great!!

Was the color a bit off before repaint? -- I ask because I have two '64's -- a Challenger Wagonaire that is that is correct Studebaker Laguna Blue repaint matches the original body tag perfectly and a Daytona Sedan that is slightly off and looks a bit like the color of the convertible in your avatar before the repaint.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the color is on the Daytona Sedan?

Bill J.
      David Daoust
      Stratham, NH
      '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
        Is it original paint on the Challenger? Or...how old is the paint on the Challenger? Is it possible that the paint on the Challenger has faded a bit and the paint on the Daytona is newer? Old paint were often applied as single stage while new paints are two-stage. Older paint applications are subject to fading

I will say this...I have lots of pictures of my Daytona before the re-paint and the color often looks very different from one photo to the next. Just depends on the amount (or lack) of sunlight as well as the angle of sun. In some photos it looks much lighter than in others.

My paint guy used the original Laguna Blue paint code. Either way....I wouldn't worry too much about the slight differences in your two cars. They both look great!

Last note: Interesting that we have the same license plate on our Daytonas! 64Stude
        Challenger was repainted about 4 years ago using original Stude code two-stage basecoat/clearcoat the original body tag under the hood was taken off and reinstalled after painting and looks identical (engine was pulled and entire engine well and firewall were repainted as part of the job). The Daytona is also a late South Bend car final assembly on December 11, 1963 SN 64V-18461. Daytona was repainted by a PO decent job but lower firewall is the original Laguna Blue easy to tell when hood is up that it is a repaint. They did the trunk and door jams and inner fenders under the hood but left the lower firewall original color of blue. Still too nice to repaint it since it the Daytona is a mostly a driver -- the Wagonaire on the other hand is more of a show car and is kept correct down to the old style hose clamps and bias ply tires. I didn't notice the plates on your Daytona were the same -- I was surprised that "64STUDE" was available in Virginia but it was.
        Bill Jackameit
        1964 Challenger Wagonaire
        1964 Daytona Sedan
        Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
        Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
        https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

David, I think this addition looks super on the car.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
            David, I think this addition looks super on the car.

Stu Chapman

Thanks Stu. That 53 year old NOS stainless still needs some polishing but I'll get to that this weekend. Planning on taking her to "Studebaker Day" at Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA this coming Sunday.
            David Daoust
            Stratham, NH
            '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

It sure looks nice!

Comment

I think it dresses the car up very nicely!

Mark

Comment

Very nice car in a beautiful color!

Comment

David
                    Can’t wait to see it next summer .... maybe in Bow or Sunapee
                    Bill

Comment

Normally I'm not a fan of these pseudo-American 1964-1966 cars but I must say that Daytona looks stunning. It must be a combination of the color, the lighting, and my own deliriousness!
                      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
                        Normally I'm not a fan of these pseudo-American 1964-1966 cars but I must say that Daytona looks stunning. It must be a combination of the color, the lighting, and my own deliriousness!
                        I do not know why you refer to it as a "pseudo-American" car. This convertible was made in South Bend, Indiana USA.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          I do not know why you refer to it as a "pseudo-American" car. This convertible was made in South Bend, Indiana USA.
                          Apologies. I thought this was a part of the Canadian run at the Hamilton plant...
                          Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

64 Daytona convertibles were also built in Hamilton so Stude Shoo-wop, your thoughts are not wrong. And by the way, welcome aboard to the best car club there is. We need a youth movement, hope you are the start of it.
                            Bob
                            Bob
                            Welland Ontario
                            60 Lark Convertible
                            64 Daytona
                            sigpic
                            "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
                              64 Daytona convertibles were also built in Hamilton so Stude Shoo-wop, your thoughts are not wrong. And by the way, welcome aboard to the best car club there is. We need a youth movement, hope you are the start of it.
                              Bob
                              Yes, but the Serial Number of this particular car indicates that it was built in South Bend.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X