No announcement yet.

1964 Daytona convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My NH compliment - beaufidel, just beaufidel!

Wayne Hackett
    Gilmanton

Comment

plus one!!!
      Originally posted by pinehurstbob View Post
      64 Daytona convertibles were also built in Hamilton so Stude Shoo-wop, your thoughts are not wrong. And by the way, welcome aboard to the best car club there is. We need a youth movement, hope you are the start of it.
      Bob
      - - - Updated - - -

Cut the kid some slack.........
      Originally posted by studegary View Post
      Yes, but the Serial Number of this particular car indicates that it was built in South Bend.

Comment

This car has a history that transcends it's history as a Granatelli car. It had become part of the collection of cars that a young man, whose name was David McDonald, had collected in eastern Washington, near Yakima.

This is taken from the 2001 poster that I'm looking at:
        David McDonald was a self trained mechanic who fell in love with Studebakers in his teens. While serving in the US Air Force, he continued to find Studebakers and send them home. After finishing his four years with Uncle Sam, as a jet mechanic, he spent the next four years amassing over 130 Studebakers, Packards and Dodges. In 1974, at 27, David died of cancer. His family has kept the collection together since then.

The auction was held on June 24th, 2001, a beautiful 70+ degree day, near Yakima Wa. The cool weather was important to anyone who knows how hot it gets over there in the summer! Hundreds of people showed up for the auction, almost all of whom were from the PNW. I always thought that it was a shame that the word about the auction hadn't been better publicized. Today the internet would have done a much better job of getting the word out.

The cars were for the most part from east of the mountains much of which is dry desert. Californians we have an area that we refer to as the Inland Empire, also. Sheds had protected most of the collection from the sun. Some of the older cars had suffered the most before they had became part of the collection. I can't emphasize too much, that this was a collection of mostly, rust free, original cars! The poster pictures forty six of the best. There were also parts that were to go on sale at 8:00 AM. There were a lot of parts! Some were a hodgepodge, but others were separated on pallets, from a particular car that had been parted out. I remember marveling at one pallet that had four beautiful Hawk fenders, while the next pallet had the hood, two doors and the trunk lid from the same car.

I had long since become selective in my collecting, so getting there early was not important to me. There were two cars that I was interested in a 1935 Dictator coupe, and a 1939 Coupe Express, but they were scheduled for late in the auction. It's about a three hour drive over the mountains. I got up, had a leisurely breakfast in route and arrived about 10:30 or 11:00. The auctioneer was moving fast, so about on third or more had already gone under the gavel, when I got there. I went out to find the two cars that I was interested in, and to get a bidders number. By the time I caught up with the auctioneer about half had been sold. I didn't see the cars from the first part of the auction until after if was completed.

It took several hours to get to the 35 coupe, the car in which I was most interested. It was an unmolested gem, but had not moved in a very long time, and most of the paint had been cooked off by the sun, but since I had only seen two of them I knew it was rare, and I wanted a chance to save it. I was disappointed that with so many bargains it quickly surpassed what I could afford. I know that it sold for over $7000 which would have been my top bid, but I'm sure that it was less the $9000 I thought it a princely sum at the time, but think that it would be a bargain today.

After the auction I walked around to see what I had missed. I was enjoying seeing all the people and their finds. In the distance I spotted good friends Russ and Hazel Haggen loading a car on their trailer. I wanted to say high and see what they had bought. I got to within about ten feet of the car and stopped dead in my tracks. I blurted out the words Russ why! It was the rustiest car in the entire auction. Obviously not a NW car, and was certainly different then most of the auction cars because of the amount of rust. Honestly if someone had offered me that car, for nothing, that day I would have turned it down.

Russ talked about it rarity and that it was the car he had come for. While he was a little disappointed by the condition, he was determined that he was going to take it home with him. He said that he had nice sheet metal for the project, and since he was doing the car for himself, the work didn't matter anyway. It was going to be his tour car.

I knew if anyone could do the project it was Russ! A retired manual arts instructor, he had been painting cars since he was in his teens. After retirement he began, doing his work for his Studebaker friends, in the form of his $2000 paint jobs. His jobs were far more then the scuff and shoot, that most might think. He would bid a job, but when he got the car in his shop, he took it upon himself to fix whatever problems he uncovered. Any rust that he found he replaced, any poorly done repairs he made right. When you got a car back from Russ you knew it was solid!

He put everything that he had into the project. The engine/trans combination was a late choice and he sat on the fence for some time before he made the choice. Unfortunately before he finished the car Russ suffered a stroke. Thankfully he survived, but he would be unable to drive the car. He was also faced with having to ask for help to finish the project. It may have been the first time he had ever needed help, in his life. It had to have been hard to ask! He was able to get help from his son Rusty, and Hazel has raved about the help he received from, StudeRich's son Mike.

Some of us tried to talk Russ out of putting the car up for sale, but emotionally he just couldn't handle it. Not finding a buyer locally he sold it nationally. David was the lucky purchaser, and he sold it without knowing the Granatelli connection that was discovered by David. I have always felt that David may not fully appreciate what went into saving the car, or that but for the efforts of a number of people, three thousand miles away, the car would not survive today. I think that David is very lucky to have the car! So now everyone knows the rest of the story!

Comment

Very nice story! Thank you for Shari Ring!, David is lucky indeed.

Mark

Comment

Great Story Bill!
            Just one minor flaw, we were looking at the information and Photos of all, around 185 Studebakers well before the Auction back in late 2000 and early 2001 because Paul McDonald had painstakingly Photographed all of them and sometimes it took a lot of work to get them out and visible due to the huge amount of Cars in the "Compound" at their Apple Orchard.

He had them on a Website and when you emailed for more he sent them to you as requested, so the Internet coverage was WAY above average with many out of town buyers coming and several bidders on Cellphones bidding, including on the Beautiful little '35 Dictator 3 Window Coupe that sold for $7,250.00. The Family Netted $122,000.00 for all, it was a "Mitch Silver Auction" a really good fair Auction Co.

I got the Strato Blue Daytona Hardtop sitting next to the Laguna Blue Convertible my friend Russ bought.
            And it too had it's own "Secret". I later found out that it had been a Burlingame, (Northern) CA Studebaker Corp. Zone Office Car, and was Loaded with unusual options like AM & FM, Full Tinted Glass, Day-Nite Mirror, Padded Visors and rear Speaker.

Here is a Quote from believe it or not, the Chicago Tribune:

"Sliding Roof Wagonaires could be had for $20 to $350.00, except for a rare Daytona 4 Speed version that brought $3400.00 though a 2 Door Hardtop Daytona went for $950.00 (Mine).

""but the AM & FM in it is worth $300.00, it's got Disc. Brakes and Avanti Floor Shift"" buyer Rich. Gxxxxxxx said.
            Gxxxxxxx of Western Washington, was there with his Sons, Mike and Dave.
            Dave Gxxxxxxx flew in from Jacksonville FL for the event.

""We've got a Flatbed, a Trailer and a Towbar, so we can take three cars in one go"" Dave Gxxxxxxx said. The family ended up buying Five Cars for $1,800.00"
            Last edited by StudeRich; 01-14-2018, 09:10 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Additional Story of David Daoust 1964 Daytona Convertible
              That is a quite a story about David’s Convertible and the Granatelli’s connection, after reading the story and the histories timeline given back to the McDonald’s auction of the large collection of Studebakers at their farm in Wapato Washington. Written by Hallabutt on post #18. A further story needs to be told of the previous timeline saga!

Joan, my wife and I, Jerry Gieseke of Yakima WA. Felt the need to tell the story of David’s Convertible starting in 1969 when we first acquired it. We had owned a 1964 Daytona Two Door hardtop, Black with red interior nicknamed the “Blackbird”, We are the second owner in 1967.

Back to 1969, Joan and I were driving around the country near Tieton WA. When we spotted a 1964 Cruiser in the driveway and I pulled up and went to the door to talk cars with the owner. They invited us in the home and we talked cars, “Studebaker of course” and how the new 1964 design was more appealing. I said I wouldn’t mind getting a 1964 Daytona Convertible to have as a companion for the “Blackbird”. The people said they have a convertible in the garage.
              “OH MY” My hair stood up on back of my neck and he said “would you like to see it?” I said “Oh Yes”, we all went into the garage for a look and I just melted seeing the Beautiful Blue Daytona Convertible, I Just had to have it, asking if he was interested in selling? Sure he said yes, I just didn’t have any money, So asked if he was interested in trading straight across for our restored 1957 deluxe Transtar Truck, Yes and the deal was made without even pulling the Convertible out of the garage and him not even seeing my truck. We went to get the truck and swap titles that evening and drove the convertible over to my parent’s apple farm to park in the shed out of the weather.
              Now Joan and I decided to name the Blue Convertible “Bluebird” to go as a mate to the “Blackbird” hardtop.

I was told that the previous owner had acquired the convertible in Michigan before moving west to Tieton WA. In 1968 and he did not know if he was the second or third owner before I got it from him. At the time the car had a 259 with column shift Automatic. Sadly to say the element was not good for the car as there was a fair amount of rust developed from harsh winter climate back east. Someone had torched the front spring to get a lowered “Rake” look; I corrected it with a good pair of 64 Cruiser coil springs making the car level, a big improved handling on the highway.

1972 We moved to Snohomish, Washington and after losing storage when my parent sold the apple farm in 1973. Bluebird moved to our home in Snohomish where it rains a lot with no roof available for dry storage, Sadly I choose to give Bluebird a new home. Ron Hochhalter of Sunnyside Washington became the next owner taking “Bluebird” home to his place. Later Ron changed the transmission over to a T-10 four speed.

In 1974 prior to Dave McDonald’s death from cancer, His Father Dan McDonald Sr. bought “Bluebird” for his son, before his passing. “Bluebird” then was put into storage with a large collection of Studebakers that Dave has collected over the past number of years. Many people who in past have tried to come to view the collections where rebuffed and the location were kept secret for many years until June 2001 Auction.

1998 was the year I retired, the memories of “Bluebird” still in my mind as the Convertible I should never have sold back then and considering the car gone forever. I began looking for another 1964 Daytona Convertible In June of 2000 I bought one in Georgia on E-Bay and shipped her home to Yakima WA. This Convertible” C501471” became our current car.

In June 2001, I received a call from Paul McDonald the youngest son of Dan McDonald Sr. who is the executor of the Estate stating he was reviewing titles and found the title to “Bluebird” which still has my name as the legal owner. Apparently after all these years the original title has not been transferred over. I told Paul that I have bought another Convertible last year and I would not be interested in bidding for “Bluebird”.

Upon reflecting fondly on the pass events, What if I had not bought the second Convertible in 2000 and at the time of the Auction in 2001 I did bid for “Bluebird”, “MMM” the “Rest of the Story” might have turned out different today!!!

A picture of our second Convertible with Russ and Hazel Haggen the new owner of ‘Bluebird” in the back seat in September 2001 20th Anniversary Pacific North West Antique Studebaker Club meet held in Yakima WA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3964.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1719456

Comment

Funny....assuming the ragtop on eBay now (red) is as good as it shows....its the only (mostly) realistic valued car on there right now...

Comment

I haven't looked at this thread in some time. Months actually. I must say I am stunned by all the historical information that has been added here. Thank you all so much. I have three old cars. The '64 Daytona, a 1947 Ford Super Deluxe convertible and a 1979 International Harvester Scout II. I love them all for different reasons.

With respect to the Daytona, I had no idea of the Granatelli provenance when I bought it from Russ & Hazel. I didn't discover it until it was already on a truck from WA to NH. While it appears to have some rough history, I have been committed to improving it from Day 1. Most recently I removed the horn ring and pot metal above the doors and rear quarter to have them re-chromed. A month ago I ordered new interior panels from Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker. I had the engine rebuilt under the supervision of Dave Thibeault. It was repainted last fall. Re-carpeted. Transmission rebuilt. New leaf springs. Dual master brake cylinder added. New gauges. New switches. New tires. A host of other stuff too numerous to mention.

The sad truth is I have far more money into it than I'll ever get out of it. But you know what?.....I don't give a damn. The car is like no other. I go to car shows all the time. You can keep your dime-a-dozen Mustangs, Camaros, T-Birds and Corvettes. Nothing wrong with them but I'll take my one-of-a-kind Studebaker Daytona convertible anytime.

For those of you who owned the car before me.....I can only say "thank you" for keeping her alive. I'll do my best to keep her going for a whole lot longer!
                  David Daoust
                  Stratham, NH
                  '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

I was at that auction also and it was for me a really unique experience. I was quite surprised how rapidly the auction moved. Very little time devoted to each car. i don't remember the 35 coupe but i do recall the coupe express. As i recall it sold to someone on the phone for over $9,000.

I had not come to buy a car but to see the auction and maybe find some trim parts for a 53 K I owned. We drove over to Yakima the day before the auction and found a place to stay. Then we drove out to the site so we would be able to find it in the morning. To my surprise they were selling parts at that time. I thought they would not be sold until the morning. These were pre-priced items and not auction items and I managed to find some NOS trim items and some original shop manuals.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Yes David, You are fortunate to have a convertible with quite a history behind it. As far as the credit for your car really belongs to Russ Haggen, He has put in a lot of sweat to undo the savage rust issue.
                      If this was Granatelli's car to begin with, what i am interested is what happen in the first six year before I acquired it in 1969? The Daytona was not well taken care of and probably left out in the weather most of the time.

Are you planning on attending the Meet in Tacoma this summer, It would be neat to have our Daytona together for pictures and preservation of histories.
                      By the way, According to build sheet, My Daytona built in Hamilton was delivered to New Hampshire sometime in April 1964.

Jerry Gieseke 1964 Daytona Convertible
                      Yakima WA.

Comment

Thank's Jerry for the additional information. I know that you don't appear on the forum vary often, so this story is obviously important to you. I've
                        'talked to you on several occasions. your reputation and accomplishments are legendary.

I can't emphasize too strongly how fortunate David, and the the Studebaker group, are that this car survives today. Anyone seeing the condition that the car was in the day of the auction, I really believe that he would not give it a second look. Only by virtue of a great deal of luck and the intervention by some dedicated capable owner/restorers would we be having this discussion.-Thanks to all for the commitment!

Comment

Thanks Bill for the kind words, I now do remember you at the Harrington meet last August when the Electric wagon made it's first showing.

Back in 2001 after the McDonald's Auction, Bruce Newell and I purchased a 1964 Cruiser with bucket seats and power shift, Russ Haggen and Hazel came to our place and picked up the front end nose, trunk lid and rear tub from that rust free car to use for replacing the rusty parts on his Convertible.

I used the Power shift from the cruiser to put in my convertible, That donor car had everything I needed to make the change over. Believe me, That car didn't go to waste helping other Studebaker Club Member's Project!!

Jerry Gieseke
                          1964 Daytona Convertible
                          Yakima Washigton

Comment

Hallabut & Jerry: Someone.....I'm sorry I can't remember who....sent me these pictures that he took at the auction. He was a friend of Russ Haggen's While the car is in rough shape in these pictures it doesn't appear to be as rusty as I would have expected from your description. Do they appear accurate? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

The "attached thumbnail" photo below is one from after Russ restored it I believe.

Name:	64DaytonaConvBefore[1].jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1719903

Name:	64DaytonaConvBefore2[1].jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1719904

David Daoust
                            Stratham, NH
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by David Daoust; 03-14-2018, 07:44 AM.
                            David Daoust
                            Stratham, NH
                            '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

David, The rust was obvious under the trunk lid, inside the trunk tub with rust around the upper part where the bolt holds access box which never did have any protective paint or such. there was some rust on the floor, not as severe as the trunk lid. Rust was seen on rocker panel and back of front fenders. The trough under the body may have some damage to best of my memories. My current 64 convertible also seen a lot of rust issue as seen by a number of panels welded in by the previous owner and repainted. Russ Haggen acquired almost all the good sheet metal from me to use for restoring "Bluebird". I have not seen your car since the Auction in 2001 and I feel Russ has done an outstanding job of replacing the sheet metal.

"YA Just Gotta Know we Westerners" are spoiled bunch to have quite a few of good rust free Studebaker that have survived in dry climate.

Jerry Gieseke
                              1964 Daytona Convertible
                              Yakima WA.

Comment

I see Vince Granatelli frequently. I will mention the car to him and see if he remembers anything about it. I believe Andy's wife drove the car. I also have a 64 factory R1 Daytona convertible.

Denny Lockmon

64 Daytona convertible R1
                                64 Avanti R1
                                40 President Club Sedan restorod

Comment

Working...
                                X