Thread: 1964 Daytona convertible

1964 Daytona convertible

Just had the "Granatelli Daytona" (64V18827) re-painted in original Laguna Blue using modern base-coat/clear-coat. That allowed me to jump to my next objective which was to put the stainless rocker panel moldings from a four-door '64 Cruiser on a two-door '64 Daytona. Managed to find NOS Cruiser moldings. Had to cut them down to 72.25" so they'd fit. Obviously not a stock configuration for a Daytona but I think they give the car a more finished look.

David Daoust
    Stratham, NH

001.jpg
    003.jpg
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Laguna Blue

Looks great!!

Was the color a bit off before repaint? -- I ask because I have two '64's -- a Challenger Wagonaire that is that is correct Studebaker Laguna Blue repaint matches the original body tag perfectly and a Daytona Sedan that is slightly off and looks a bit like the color of the convertible in your avatar before the repaint.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the color is on the Daytona Sedan?

Bill J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it original paint on the Challenger? Or...how old is the paint on the Challenger? Is it possible that the paint on the Challenger has faded a bit and the paint on the Daytona is newer? Old paint were often applied as single stage while new paints are two-stage. Older paint applications are subject to fading

I will say this...I have lots of pictures of my Daytona before the re-paint and the color often looks very different from one photo to the next. Just depends on the amount (or lack) of sunlight as well as the angle of sun. In some photos it looks much lighter than in others.

My paint guy used the original Laguna Blue paint code. Either way....I wouldn't worry too much about the slight differences in your two cars. They both look great!

Last note: Interesting that we have the same license plate on our Daytonas! 64Stude

Quote Originally Posted by bjackameit View Post
    Looks great!!

Was the color a bit off before repaint? -- I ask because I have two '64's -- a Challenger Wagonaire that is that is correct Studebaker Laguna Blue repaint matches the original body tag perfectly and a Daytona Sedan that is slightly off and looks a bit like the color of the convertible in your avatar before the repaint.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the color is on the Daytona Sedan?

Bill J.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Quote Originally Posted by David Daoust View Post
    Is it original paint on the Challenger? Or...how old is the paint on the Challenger? Is it possible that the paint on the Challenger has faded a bit and the paint on the Daytona is newer? Old paint were often applied as single stage while new paints are two-stage. Older paint applications are subject to fading

I will say this...I have lots of pictures of my Daytona before the re-paint and the color often looks very different from one photo to the next. Just depends on the amount (or lack) of sunlight as well as the angle of sun. In some photos it looks much lighter than in others.

My paint guy used the original Laguna Blue paint code. Either way....I wouldn't worry too much about the slight differences in your two cars. They both look great!

Last note: Interesting that we have the same license plate on our Daytonas! 64Stude
    Challenger was repainted about 4 years ago using original Stude code two-stage basecoat/clearcoat the original body tag under the hood was taken off and reinstalled after painting and looks identical (engine was pulled and entire engine well and firewall were repainted as part of the job). The Daytona is also a late South Bend car final assembly on December 11, 1963 SN 64V-18461. Daytona was repainted by a PO decent job but lower firewall is the original Laguna Blue easy to tell when hood is up that it is a repaint. They did the trunk and door jams and inner fenders under the hood but left the lower firewall original color of blue. Still too nice to repaint it since it the Daytona is a mostly a driver -- the Wagonaire on the other hand is more of a show car and is kept correct down to the old style hose clamps and bias ply tires. I didn't notice the plates on your Daytona were the same -- I was surprised that "64STUDE" was available in Virginia but it was.

President Member
    David, I think this addition looks super on the car.

Stu Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    David, I think this addition looks super on the car.

Stu Chapman

Thanks Stu. That 53 year old NOS stainless still needs some polishing but I'll get to that this weekend. Planning on taking her to "Studebaker Day" at Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA this coming Sunday.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Speedster Member
    It sure looks nice!

I think it dresses the car up very nicely!

Mark

Commander Member
    Very nice car in a beautiful color!

Commander Member
    David
    Can’t wait to see it next summer .... maybe in Bow or Sunapee
    Bill

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Normally I'm not a fan of these pseudo-American 1964-1966 cars but I must say that Daytona looks stunning. It must be a combination of the color, the lighting, and my own deliriousness!

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
    Normally I'm not a fan of these pseudo-American 1964-1966 cars but I must say that Daytona looks stunning. It must be a combination of the color, the lighting, and my own deliriousness!
    I do not know why you refer to it as a "pseudo-American" car. This convertible was made in South Bend, Indiana USA.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Speedster Member Stude Shoo-wop!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    I do not know why you refer to it as a "pseudo-American" car. This convertible was made in South Bend, Indiana USA.
    Apologies. I thought this was a part of the Canadian run at the Hamilton plant...

64 Daytona convertibles were also built in Hamilton so Stude Shoo-wop, your thoughts are not wrong. And by the way, welcome aboard to the best car club there is. We need a youth movement, hope you are the start of it.
    Bob
    Bob
    Welland Ontario
    60 Lark Convertible
    64 Daytona

"They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Golden Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinehurstbob View Post
    64 Daytona convertibles were also built in Hamilton so Stude Shoo-wop, your thoughts are not wrong. And by the way, welcome aboard to the best car club there is. We need a youth movement, hope you are the start of it.
    Bob
    Yes, but the Serial Number of this particular car indicates that it was built in South Bend.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Commander Member
    My NH compliment - beaufidel, just beaufidel!

Wayne Hackett
    Gilmanton

President Member
    plus one!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinehurstbob View Post
    Bob
    - - - Updated - - -

Cut the kid some slack.........
    Quote Originally Posted by studegary View Post
    Yes, but the Serial Number of this particular car indicates that it was built in South Bend.

President Member
    This car has a history that transcends it's history as a Granatelli car. It had become part of the collection of cars that a young man, whose name was David McDonald, had collected in eastern Washington, near Yakima.

This is taken from the 2001 poster that I'm looking at:
    David McDonald was a self trained mechanic who fell in love with Studebakers in his teens. While serving in the US Air Force, he continued to find Studebakers and send them home. After finishing his four years with Uncle Sam, as a jet mechanic, he spent the next four years amassing over 130 Studebakers, Packards and Dodges. In 1974, at 27, David died of cancer. His family has kept the collection together since then.

The auction was held on June 24th, 2001, a beautiful 70+ degree day, near Yakima Wa. The cool weather was important to anyone who knows how hot it gets over there in the summer! Hundreds of people showed up for the auction, almost all of whom were from the PNW. I always thought that it was a shame that the word about the auction hadn't been better publicized. Today the internet would have done a much better job of getting the word out.

The cars were for the most part from east of the mountains much of which is dry desert. Californians we have an area that we refer to as the Inland Empire, also. Sheds had protected most of the collection from the sun. Some of the older cars had suffered the most before they had became part of the collection. I can't emphasize too much, that this was a collection of mostly, rust free, original cars! The poster pictures forty six of the best. There were also parts that were to go on sale at 8:00 AM. There were a lot of parts! Some were a hodgepodge, but others were separated on pallets, from a particular car that had been parted out. I remember marveling at one pallet that had four beautiful Hawk fenders, while the next pallet had the hood, two doors and the trunk lid from the same car.

I had long since become selective in my collecting, so getting there early was not important to me. There were two cars that I was interested in a 1935 Dictator coupe, and a 1939 Coupe Express, but they were scheduled for late in the auction. It's about a three hour drive over the mountains. I got up, had a leisurely breakfast in route and arrived about 10:30 or 11:00. The auctioneer was moving fast, so about on third or more had already gone under the gavel, when I got there. I went out to find the two cars that I was interested in, and to get a bidders number. By the time I caught up with the auctioneer about half had been sold. I didn't see the cars from the first part of the auction until after if was completed.

It took several hours to get to the 35 coupe, the car in which I was most interested. It was an unmolested gem, but had not moved in a very long time, and most of the paint had been cooked off by the sun, but since I had only seen two of them I knew it was rare, and I wanted a chance to save it. I was disappointed that with so many bargains it quickly surpassed what I could afford. I know that it sold for over $7000 which would have been my top bid, but I'm sure that it was less the $9000 I thought it a princely sum at the time, but think that it would be a bargain today.

After the auction I walked around to see what I had missed. I was enjoying seeing all the people and their finds. In the distance I spotted good friends Russ and Hazel Haggen loading a car on their trailer. I wanted to say high and see what they had bought. I got to within about ten feet of the car and stopped dead in my tracks. I blurted out the words Russ why! It was the rustiest car in the entire auction. Obviously not a NW car, and was certainly different then most of the auction cars because of the amount of rust. Honestly if someone had offered me that car, for nothing, that day I would have turned it down.

Russ talked about it rarity and that it was the car he had come for. While he was a little disappointed by the condition, he was determined that he was going to take it home with him. He said that he had nice sheet metal for the project, and since he was doing the car for himself, the work didn't matter anyway. It was going to be his tour car.

I knew if anyone could do the project it was Russ! A retired manual arts instructor, he had been painting cars since he was in his teens. After retirement he began, doing his work for his Studebaker friends, in the form of his $2000 paint jobs. His jobs were far more then the scuff and shoot, that most might think. He would bid a job, but when he got the car in his shop, he took it upon himself to fix whatever problems he uncovered. Any rust that he found he replaced, any poorly done repairs he made right. When you got a car back from Russ you knew it was solid!

He put everything that he had into the project. The engine/trans combination was a late choice and he sat on the fence for some time before he made the choice. Unfortunately before he finished the car Russ suffered a stroke. Thankfully he survived, but he would be unable to drive the car. He was also faced with having to ask for help to finish the project. It may have been the first time he had ever needed help, in his life. It had to have been hard to ask! He was able to get help from his son Rusty, and Hazel has raved about the help he received from, StudeRich's son Mike.

Some of us tried to talk Russ out of putting the car up for sale, but emotionally he just couldn't handle it. Not finding a buyer locally he sold it nationally. David was the lucky purchaser, and he sold it without knowing the Granatelli connection that was discovered by David. I have always felt that David may not fully appreciate what went into saving the car, or that but for the efforts of a number of people, three thousand miles away, the car would not survive today. I think that David is very lucky to have the car! So now everyone knows the rest of the story!

Very nice story! Thank you for Shari Ring!, David is lucky indeed.

Mark

Great Story Bill!
    Just one minor flaw, we were looking at the information and Photos of all, around 185 Studebakers well before the Auction back in late 2000 and early 2001 because Paul McDonald had painstakingly Photographed all of them and sometimes it took a lot of work to get them out and visible due to the huge amount of Cars in the "Compound" at their Apple Orchard.

He had them on a Website and when you emailed for more he sent them to you as requested, so the Internet coverage was WAY above average with many out of town buyers coming and several bidders on Cellphones bidding, including on the Beautiful little '35 Dictator 3 Window Coupe that sold for $7,250.00. The Family Netted $122,000.00 for all, it was a "Mitch Silver Auction" a really good fair Auction Co.

I got the Strato Blue Daytona Hardtop sitting next to the Laguna Blue Convertible my friend Russ bought.
    And it too had it's own "Secret". I later found out that it had been a Burlingame, (Northern) CA Studebaker Corp. Zone Office Car, and was Loaded with unusual options like AM & FM, Full Tinted Glass, Day-Nite Mirror, Padded Visors and rear Speaker.

Here is a Quote from believe it or not, the Chicago Tribune:

"Sliding Roof Wagonaires could be had for $20 to $350.00, except for a rare Daytona 4 Speed version that brought $3400.00 though a 2 Door Hardtop Daytona went for $950.00 (Mine).

""but the AM & FM in it is worth $300.00, it's got Disc. Brakes and Avanti Floor Shift"" buyer Rich. Gxxxxxxx said.
    Gxxxxxxx of Western Washington, was there with his Sons, Mike and Dave.
    Dave Gxxxxxxx flew in from Jacksonville FL for the event.

""We've got a Flatbed, a Trailer and a Towbar, so we can take three cars in one go"" Dave Gxxxxxxx said. The family ended up buying Five Cars for $1,800.00"
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-14-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner