Thread: 1964 Daytona convertible

1964 Daytona convertible

Just had the "Granatelli Daytona" (64V18827) re-painted in original Laguna Blue using modern base-coat/clear-coat. That allowed me to jump to my next objective which was to put the stainless rocker panel moldings from a four-door '64 Cruiser on a two-door '64 Daytona. Managed to find NOS Cruiser moldings. Had to cut them down to 72.25" so they'd fit. Obviously not a stock configuration for a Daytona but I think they give the car a more finished look.

David Daoust
    Stratham, NH

001.jpg
    003.jpg
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Laguna Blue

Looks great!!

Was the color a bit off before repaint? -- I ask because I have two '64's -- a Challenger Wagonaire that is that is correct Studebaker Laguna Blue repaint matches the original body tag perfectly and a Daytona Sedan that is slightly off and looks a bit like the color of the convertible in your avatar before the repaint.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the color is on the Daytona Sedan?

Bill J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it original paint on the Challenger? Or...how old is the paint on the Challenger? Is it possible that the paint on the Challenger has faded a bit and the paint on the Daytona is newer? Old paint were often applied as single stage while new paints are two-stage. Older paint applications are subject to fading

I will say this...I have lots of pictures of my Daytona before the re-paint and the color often looks very different from one photo to the next. Just depends on the amount (or lack) of sunlight as well as the angle of sun. In some photos it looks much lighter than in others.

My paint guy used the original Laguna Blue paint code. Either way....I wouldn't worry too much about the slight differences in your two cars. They both look great!

Last note: Interesting that we have the same license plate on our Daytonas! 64Stude

Quote Originally Posted by bjackameit View Post
    Looks great!!

Was the color a bit off before repaint? -- I ask because I have two '64's -- a Challenger Wagonaire that is that is correct Studebaker Laguna Blue repaint matches the original body tag perfectly and a Daytona Sedan that is slightly off and looks a bit like the color of the convertible in your avatar before the repaint.

Any thoughts from anyone on what the color is on the Daytona Sedan?

Bill J.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Quote Originally Posted by David Daoust View Post
    Is it original paint on the Challenger? Or...how old is the paint on the Challenger? Is it possible that the paint on the Challenger has faded a bit and the paint on the Daytona is newer? Old paint were often applied as single stage while new paints are two-stage. Older paint applications are subject to fading

I will say this...I have lots of pictures of my Daytona before the re-paint and the color often looks very different from one photo to the next. Just depends on the amount (or lack) of sunlight as well as the angle of sun. In some photos it looks much lighter than in others.

My paint guy used the original Laguna Blue paint code. Either way....I wouldn't worry too much about the slight differences in your two cars. They both look great!

Last note: Interesting that we have the same license plate on our Daytonas! 64Stude
    Challenger was repainted about 4 years ago using original Stude code two-stage basecoat/clearcoat the original body tag under the hood was taken off and reinstalled after painting and looks identical (engine was pulled and entire engine well and firewall were repainted as part of the job). The Daytona is also a late South Bend car final assembly on December 11, 1963 SN 64V-18461. Daytona was repainted by a PO decent job but lower firewall is the original Laguna Blue easy to tell when hood is up that it is a repaint. They did the trunk and door jams and inner fenders under the hood but left the lower firewall original color of blue. Still too nice to repaint it since it the Daytona is a mostly a driver -- the Wagonaire on the other hand is more of a show car and is kept correct down to the old style hose clamps and bias ply tires. I didn't notice the plates on your Daytona were the same -- I was surprised that "64STUDE" was available in Virginia but it was.

President Member
    David, I think this addition looks super on the car.

Stu Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    David, I think this addition looks super on the car.

Stu Chapman

Thanks Stu. That 53 year old NOS stainless still needs some polishing but I'll get to that this weekend. Planning on taking her to "Studebaker Day" at Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA this coming Sunday.
    David Daoust
    Stratham, NH
    '64 Daytona convertible

Speedster Member
    It sure looks nice!

I think it dresses the car up very nicely!

Mark

Commander Member
    Very nice car in a beautiful color!