Avanti rear quarter window rubber reinstallation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti rear quarter window rubber reinstallation

In a previous thread Ron Dame asked about replacement Avanti rear quarter window seals. Matt B said the left side was available, I'll assume Stephen Allen as the source, but there are no right sides. I was lucky that when I removed mine years ago, I thought they looked terrible but I kept everything intact so I could have a guide on how new seals would need to be installed.

I was ready to install the windows last month, so I called Dan Booth to order new ones, no joy. Dan said they were sold out and he didn't foresee new ones anytime soon. What he did suggest, if I still had the old ones, was to sand any rough edges off to make them look smooth and reinstall what I had.

About the same time forum member WCP, Thanks bill, suggested that I be sure to shim the windows to assure a seal and then build up any gaps with foam.

So onward I pressed. The gasket actually sanded up quite nicely with 80 grit but still looked like crap visually as there was paint over spray and some discoloring from previous attempts by to PO to improve the looks of the car. I still had part of a can of SEM satin vinyl spray dye so I masked the window and sprayed the rubber with it. Looks like new. I have no idea how long it will last but for now it looks fine.

I installed the window and checked for seal with a one dollar bill all around the window. I must have been lucky as I couldn't pull it out anywhere so I removed the window assembly, used Transtar 4167 black sealer as a caulk and filler to reinstall the unit. I now have the window installed and you can't pull a dollar bill out anywhere.

A couple of words of caution: Tape and cover the body anywhere close to the window as the caulk sticks very well. The caulk will squeeze out and be sure to wipe it off level in the gaps quickly. Also tape any rubber surfaces where the caulk will squeeze out for the same reasons.

A last tip on cleaning the rubber and chrome/stainless parts. I scraped all the original caulk off I could but there was quite a bit of residual on a lot of the surfaces. After a few tests, I found that a small terry cloth rag soaked in paint thinner would take off all the residue. The residue needed to be kept wet for a small amount of time but it all came off to my amazement.

I don't have any before shots but here are several of the installed drivers side and the cleaned, sanded and dyed passenger side before installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1015171057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1755925 Click image for larger version

Name:	1015171057a.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1755926 Click image for larger version

Name:	1015171058a.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1755927

Bob

For those of us that can't afford a dollar, will a blank piece of paper work as well?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      For those of us that can't afford a dollar, will a blank piece of paper work as well?
      Just takes to much time to locate paper of that thickness. You need to break out the micrometers, go to Staples, measure every dang paper they have, pay for it and then bring it home. I chose to do what all the "Avanti guys" recommend, a dollar bill. You know how "they" are about accuracy. IAC - well played Bob

Comment

A couple of bonus shots as today was prep day for the passenger side quarter window install tomorrow.

I mask everything as the sealer gets everywhere. Here's a shot of the prep before the B-pillar and drip rail stainless are installed. I also mark the location of the screws that hold it on the tape.

You can see the #6 wafer head screws I use to hold everything in place as the sealer firms up. I remove them just before I install the window unit.

Name:	1015171240.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1716777 Click image for larger version

Name:	1015171240a.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1716780

This is the stainless installed and the tape removed to get the excess sealer away from the body.

Name:	1015171316.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1716779

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Those look quite nice. I may end up doing this, especially if right side don't show up before I am ready. I'm still trying to get promised projects finished around the house so I can bring it down and get started.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

What's the thickness of your wife's missing checkerboard tablecloth?
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              I installed the window and checked for seal with a one dollar bill all around the window. I must have been lucky as I couldn't pull it out anywhere so I removed the window assembly, used Transtar 4167 black sealer as a caulk and filler to reinstall the unit. I now have the window installed and you can't pull a dollar bill out anywhere.

Bob
              Trying to change my CASO ways. I use a Benjamin.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
              X