Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As we approach the start of the La Carrera PanAmericana...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day four:
    '53 Commander
    Art Morrison chassis
    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Thank you! It appears that at least one is a Starliner/K body and not a Starlight/C body.

EDIT:
      From day 8, it looks like at least two Starliners.
      Last edited by studegary; 10-18-2017, 08:55 AM.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Day 8:
        '53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

And the Stude wins another one...
          '53 Commander
          Art Morrison chassis
          LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Studebaker finishes 1-2-3-4-5.

http://www.lacarrerapanamericana.com...-ABSOLUTOS.pdf

I got back from Mexico last night. What a fantastic event and experience! I'll try to organize my pictures and videos and post more later.

34 Dictator at the end of a speed stage out of Morelia (Sunday).

Here are the cars arriving in Guanajuato (Monday) at the end of the day's stages...

Cars being serviced in La Congoja (Wednesday). The cars have just raced 16 kilometers up a mountain road from 6,000' to 8,000'. The crews have one hour to service the cars before they race back down the same road.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, would you have any interest in submitting a coverage story to Turning Wheels? With so many Studes in this race, I’m surprised it hasn’t ever gotten any attention within the club.
              Last edited by mbstude; 10-23-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

For those interested in seeing what it's like being in a 700 hp Studebaker competing in La Carrera PanAmericana, see this NBC sports show with Studebaker coverage starting around minute four.

Comment

Top 5 spots again? Dang!
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Do any of the 12 Studebakers entered have a Studebaker engine. Or are they all Chevrolet's with custom under carriages.
                    Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by WilburV View Post
                      For those interested in seeing what it's like being in a 700 hp Studebaker competing in La Carrera PanAmericana, see this NBC sports show with Studebaker coverage starting around minute four.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/uniqu...a-panamericana
                      I quit when he called a 1954 Mercury, a Ford Falcon. I may go back when I have sufficient time.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I no longer belong to the SDC. I haven't for several years now. I had many many excellent experiences belonging to the SDC. Great times! My interests kept developing and changing, however (that durn short attention span ). I continue to have a place in my heart for all things Studebaker and for the good friends I made while an SDC member. I'm quite thankful there was an SDC when I was in that phase of my "car life". My recent past projects and my current project (SBC in a 914 Porsche) don't have much Studebaker content . I will ask Ann if an article on the Carrera would be interesting to her readers and if a non member can contribute. I'd be happy to write one if that's the case.

Keep in mind there is very little Studebaker in these cars (maybe none). The top cars in this race are pretty much NASCAR underneath. The engines are 360 CID Chevys built by the same shops that provide engines for winning NASCAR cars. A smaller carb detunes them from 850 HP in NASCAR trim to about 650. The altitude detunes them even more . Here's the altimiter on my iPhone at one of the speed sections we attended in Mil Cumbres...

While custom and modified cars are allowed in the SDC, I think it is a relatively fringe aspect of the club and the Carrera may not be interesting enough to the majority of members to warrant space in TW.

A car is about $200,000 to construct. Add that again for spares, a support vehicle and crew, entrance fees, transport, expenses, etc. Probably out of reach for the SDC to sponsor the whole shooting match. However, I'll bet one or more of the cars would be proud to carry a Studebaker Drivers Club decal...maybe even for free.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Always glad to hear from you, Dick, and I still watch your Youtube video(s). I am a big fan of the Carrerra Panamericana and I was given honorary citizenship in Acapulco a couple of years ago. My 55K is on the road and my 54C will be there next year. I always dreamed of driving one or both through Mexico to Acapulco. I took the bus once from Mexico City to Acapulco and the scenery is spectacular. I'm fearful of being shot out from under them (lol) and would love to travel with other Stude folk. Do you know of an other Studebaker folk that would make a trip like that and maybe watch some of the race?
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Dave,
                            My buddy that lives in Aguascalientes is a Stude guy. We took two of his Studes to La Congoja on Wednesday to watch the finish of one speed stage, the servicing of the cars, and the start of another speed stage...

The car directly in front is a beautifully restored 53 Champion Starliner. The one in front of that is an original rust free 53 Commander Starlight. I went to Mexico with three long time friends...an Oldsmobile guy, a Porsche guy, and a Chevy guy. They are almost as much fun as Stude guys
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Absolutely envious. That would be a trip of a lifetime. I'll have to do some more snooping around to see if I can do some advance connecting and try that myself. Thank you so much.
                              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the terrific Studebaker posts. What an event. Did you notice the lack of (except for a 56 Pontiac) other representation from Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth etc.? Sure they could use any other body on the Nascar underpinnings but they didn't.
                                We should all treasure what great special cars we all represent.
                                Thanks again for all the contributions for us dreamers.
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X