Packard V8 powered C cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard V8 powered C cab

Finally got the T85 w/overdrive trans rebuilt, and back into the truck. I made a new rear trans mount, the one the dealer made looked too primitive. I could not get the parts to rebuild the power assist steering spool valve, nor the power assist cylinder. I put a 700 series Chevrolet power steering box in it. (Vega Power steering box) I also changed the homemade clutch linkage with a hydraulic throwout bearing. I had to machine a little off of the T85 throwout collar, and machine a little off of the length of the throwout assy. Everything works perfectly. I managed to find an original Thermo-King A/C unit new old stock, identical to the one that was in the truck.I am going to make new engine mounting plates to match the Packard motor mounts. The dealer had some crude angle iron brackets that utilized the 259 V8 front engine mounts. Take notice I was able to keep the original steering column shift assy. The rubber bushing for the steering column support is not available, I found a radiator hose bushing at Napa that looks, and fits perfectly. BarryClick image for larger version

Name:	100_2684.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1755867Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2690.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	1755868Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2691.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1755869

Looks like you are gonna have a real nice truck someday soon. Question: what was wrong with the T85, that it needed to b e rebuilt. The only one I have ever known to go bad had been ran low on oil, for too long. They are about as bullet proof an any transmission made, past or present.

Hope to see your truck on the road and on the Stude circuit soon

Comment

Lookin' good!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That looks like a fine engineering job. My brother has a GM power steering box in his truck and it works fine. His was out of a Buick, but it may be the same part.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Looks like you are gonna have a real nice truck someday soon. Question: what was wrong with the T85, that it needed to b e rebuilt. The only one I have ever known to go bad had been ran low on oil, for too long. They are about as bullet proof an any transmission made, past or present.

Hope to see your truck on the road and on the Stude circuit soon
          The first car I owned was a '60 Hawk. If I understand correctly, the tranny was a T89, internally the same as the T85.

One trip to the local drag strip, where I got my lunch eaten by a 348" Chevy, the tranny broke. Wheel hop off the line, no more teeth on 1st gear.

Twin Traction just made it hop both wheels.

Comment

needed shocks?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              needed shocks?
              Could be.

Could be it needed a better driver.

Comment

Working...
              X