Cub Cadet XT2 42" 2017 riding mower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cub Cadet XT2 42" 2017 riding mower

My years old Craftsman riding mower is currently wearing itself out as I cut so I've been investigating a new riding lawn mower for the past several weeks and have decided on the Cub Cadet XT2 42" mower for my needs. The local dealers will let you drive/demo a number of brands and I've ridden JD's, Husqvarna's, and a few others and am set on the XT2.

My question is straight forward: Do any of you have experience with the 2015+ Enduro series XT riders? This little devil - http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cu...h-copy-of-lx42

I know and the dealers grudgingly admit the pre-2015 units had a number of issues but the newer Enduro series 2015 up seem to be well built and reliable according to the internet.

I know they are made by MTD, but they are Kohler powered with a 3/5 yr warranty so I'm interested if any of you folks can comment based on experience with the 2015+ units.

Bob

I can't help you with the new units but I have a Cub Cadet older (maybe 2013?) and have had no problems with it at all. Just change the oil and filter.
    Nick

Comment

I too am not familiar with that particular model, however, I have a 2016 Cub Cadet 33" self propelled walk behind mower with dual blades and I love it. It is powerful, versatile, durable and reliable. I could not ask for anything more (mower).
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Kohler engines.......................

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        My years old Craftsman riding mower is currently wearing itself out as I cut so I've been investigating a new riding lawn mower for the past several weeks and have decided on the Cub Cadet XT2 42" mower for my needs. The local dealers will let you drive/demo a number of brands and I've ridden JD's, Husqvarna's, and a few others and am set on the XT2.

My question is straight forward: Do any of you have experience with the 2015+ Enduro series XT riders? This little devil - http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cu...h-copy-of-lx42

I know and the dealers grudgingly admit the pre-2015 units had a number of issues but the newer Enduro series 2015 up seem to be well built and reliable according to the internet.

I know they are made by MTD, but they are Kohler powered with a 3/5 yr warranty so I'm interested if any of you folks can comment based on experience with the 2015+ units.

Bob
        I bought a Kohler engined Troybuilt 42": 1 year later replaced trans/differential (warrentied, thank you), 2 years later replaced deck, next the engine suddenly would not turn( a magnet off the inside of the flywheel came loose) destroying the stator.. Do I want any thing MTD/Kohler built?? NO I DON'T THINK SO.. OH!! And I forgot, Exhaust valve rocker arm nut backed off twice..
        Last edited by benaslopoke; 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I just looked hard at a 54" unit.
          Special deals offered by Tractor Supply and Home Depot.
          Took those sale flyers to my local dealer and he said he could not touch that price....
          He also told me that there is absolutely no service available from those stores.
          He then told me if his service department has a dealer bought unit, and a big box store unit... Guess which one will be worked on first.
          Ended up not buying one, and fixed my existing unit (broken rear axle).
          Glad I didn't buy......
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm 72, and two years ago, I bought my very first "BRAND NEW" mower. I've always been amazed at how people discard machinery that only needs a little maintenance to make them work again. But, a couple of years ago, my latest "rescued" mower quit. My wife said, "why don't you just go buy a new mower!" Well shucks...that's all it took! PERMISSION to buy a new toy!

I purchased a Hustler Raptor Super Duty Zero Turn W/54" Deck and 23 HP Kawasaki engine. Works Great...after I re-engineered/re-enforced the plastic fenders, and installed front and back hitch balls to move stuff around. I'm kinda rough on yard equipment, and they need to be up to climbing banks, jumping terraces, and a little occasional "bush hogging," in addition to "domestic lawn mowing."
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              I just looked hard at a 54" unit.
              Special deals offered by Tractor Supply and Home Depot.
              Took those sale flyers to my local dealer and he said he could not touch that price....
              He also told me that there is absolutely no service available from those stores.
              He then told me if his service department has a dealer bought unit, and a big box store unit... Guess which one will be worked on first.
              Ended up not buying one, and fixed my existing unit (broken rear axle).
              Glad I didn't buy......
              Interesting differences here. The reason I went looking now was the season is ending and I expected some discounts but no joy. HD and TSC are the main go to sellers in this town but 20 miles south is a large dealer that handles many brands and also services them and is good at it. The dealer had exactly the same price but as opposed to HD and TSC that will make sure your mower is delivered to the parking lot so you can load it, the dealer will run your unit to be sure it is in good nick, fill it with non-etoh gas and deliver it.

For the same price it's a no brainer and, in fact, for a couple hundred more the dealer is the only way to go. They will pickup to do warranty work also. As you found out also, the dealer says they will do the warranty work on a HD or TSC sales but don't hold your breath. He also said that there is no difference in the units, just easier to get service from a servicing dealer.

I started the whole thing to save a few bucks but unless Cub comes up with some discounts, I'll just hold off until spring as the current unit has a decent chance of making a few more trips. It was a cheap unit I bought 9 years ago and is just used up. I'm tired of fixing and readjusting the POS.

Comment

Dealers

For the same price it's a no brainer and, in fact, for a couple hundred more the dealer is the only way to go. They will pickup to do warranty work also. As you found out also, the dealer says they will do the warranty work on a HD or TSC sales but don't hold your breath. He also said that there is no difference in the units, just easier to get service from a servicing dealer.

I asked the JD dealer why he was so much higher in price than Lowes and his reply was that his was not a "D" model (disposable??), not the same he said.. I'm aware he was wanting to make a sale.. I also agree in buying from a servicing factory dealer for a little more money..

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post

I asked the JD dealer why he was so much higher in price than Lowes and his reply was that his was not a "D" model (disposable??), not the same he said.. I'm aware he was wanting to make a sale.. I also agree in buying from a servicing factory dealer for a little more money..

Ben
                  THAT'S ANOTHER THING!!! I bought from a DEALER because (at least around here) no one was selling the HUSTLER brand but dealers. I bought mine from a dealer nearly twenty miles away, although there were other's closer. I bought the mower because I liked the way it was built. The dealer I bought from was owned by a friendly chap who explained that the SUPER DUTY, heavier frame, bigger tires, was only $100 more than the standard version. He also threw in an engine guard. So...I bought the mower! A few weeks later, the dealer sold the business to a large chain of dealers who hired a couple of lazy knuckle heads to run the place.

I drove over to buy oil & filter and the dolts seemed offended because I planned to do my own service & maintenance. So, I asked when they could service it. They said they could give me an appointment in a couple of weeks! At that time, I was the only customer in the store. They were playing video games on their computer. I paid for the oil & filter and left the store. Immediately, after arriving home, I e-mailed Hustler's corporate customer service. Explained that if they were planning on keeping the brand name HUSTLER...then they should choose DEALERS capable of living up to the name.

A few weeks later, I walk into my local Lowes to find that they are now carrying the brand. But no Super Duty models. At least now, I can go buy parts from a clueless indifferent sales clerk, and not have to drive so far.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bob, I found that buying from a "dealer" was a much smarter way to go than fighting with the big box stores ineptitude and lack of service parts. My mower is a 54" Simplicity with a 23 h.p. Kohler, 2006 leftover that I bought in spring of 2007. It's been a terrific mower, no real issues with it. At work (27 hole golf course) I work on all the equipment an we have a Hustler 54 SD like John has. It is the wrong piece for this usage, and it has had just about everything except the engine repaired or replaced in the 3 years we've had it. With 1000 hours in that time frame, and the abuse it has been given, I think it has been a good machine under it's circumstances. It just isn't a commercial mower and that's what we should have gotten. Anyway, wait until spring and see if you can work a good deal on a leftover 2017 model. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                      Bob, I found that buying from a "dealer" was a much smarter way to go than fighting with the big box stores ineptitude and lack of service parts. My mower is a 54" Simplicity with a 23 h.p. Kohler, 2006 leftover that I bought in spring of 2007. It's been a terrific mower, no real issues with it. At work (27 hole golf course) I work on all the equipment an we have a Hustler 54 SD like John has. It is the wrong piece for this usage, and it has had just about everything except the engine repaired or replaced in the 3 years we've had it. With 1000 hours in that time frame, and the abuse it has been given, I think it has been a good machine under it's circumstances. It just isn't a commercial mower and that's what we should have gotten. Anyway, wait until spring and see if you can work a good deal on a leftover 2017 model. Bill
                      Great comments from someone who should know. In my stable of "castaways," I have two Allis-Chalmers (built by Simplicity). They are the oldest machines, but built like a tank. But, I bought one later model 15HP Simplicity (Craigslist) that for me, is a dog. I mistakenly thought that it would be built like my older ones. It would be good for a perfectly flat (city type) lawn. It has a "floating" deck, but no capacity to lift & carry the deck for high weeds, or uneven ground. All I had to do to it was replace the starter solenoid, and correctly route the belt the owner had put on incorrectly.

But, my favorite mower is a John Deere walk behind with a riding sulky (54" deck). I have plans to either repair its Kawasaki engine or replace it.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have several garden tractors, and they all run. (10 year old JD 42" 100 (at the cottage), 40 year old JD 46" 210, 30 year old Honda 36", 45 year old Sears 42"). I ended up buying a new Cub Cadet 48" from Home Depot in the spring because the tires on the old tractors are all on their last legs after many patches and tubes, and they are too hard to start for the kids, who I delegated the lawn mowing tasks to.

In short, the new CC mows very fast and well. I like the accelerator pedal. I had to replace the blades after kids ran over some rocks a few times. It sometimes does get stuck in mud - thinner tires. (The old JD 10 has really fat tires.) There is also nothing wrong with the 10 year old John Deere, its just not at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                          In short, the new CC mows very fast and well. I like the accelerator pedal. I had to replace the blades after kids ran over some rocks a few times. It sometimes does get stuck in mud - thinner tires. (The old JD 10 has really fat tires.) There is also nothing wrong with the 10 year old John Deere, its just not at home.
                          Thanks for the feedback, you have brought up a good point on the accelerator pedal. Another reason I'm replacing the older unit is the newer ones will mow in reverse which is major benefit in my cutting. Bob

Comment

A couple of years ago, I was looking to replace my riding mower, 15 year old Snapper that was wore slap out. Talked to a local JD dealer and he told me the reason the JD mowers at the big box stores were cheaper was that they were assembled in China, whereas the models they sold were assembled in USA. I didn't research it any further, as I ended up buying a 54" zero turn Dixie Chopper that was used with very low hours at an estate sale for under $2500. So far I have had no issues with it, however some parts are a bit expensive.
                            Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Well...We southerners might think we have an "edge" on lawn mower knowledge because of the milder winters, longer growing season, etc. However, it is the folks in the north that take "Lawn Equipment" to a whole 'nuther level. Here, it is mainly grass in the summer. There, it is summer grass, and then, comes the PTO driven snow blowers and snow plows. Having the power to drive a mower deck is one thing, but to handle snow blowers, and scrape blades, with their weight and associated operational mechanics, requires a much stouter structure and well thought out engineering. Two of the vintage Allis-Chalmers machines I have followed their owners fleeing the northern winters. While the blades I got with them might be good for shoving around "fluffy" snow, I discovered they are useless for moving heavy red clay soil here.

If you live in the south, and see a craigslist ad for a used mower with a snow blade or blower, you might want to go take a look. You might find a much heavier duty machine at a bargain. Just don't let the seller try to convince you the snow stuff is anything of value. Treat the blade & blower as something you will haul out of his way as long as he's willing to give you a good deal on the mower.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X