The Long Lazy S on the rear of a 41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Long Lazy S on the rear of a 41

Just when you think you are winning................ Took the rear emblem off the boot lid of my 41 Commander ready to go to the chrome shop and like money it just slipped from my hand, and broke in to pieces.

I know they are hard to find but I really do need one
    one. Can any help?

Thanks

Paul

Robert Kapteyn has them.

Comment

Thanks I will try him

Comment

How many do you need?

Comment

Here's one on ebay right now.

Comment

Not the same but yesterday I dropped a hot to go cup of Starbucks Coffee on our newish carpet.....yuk!

Comment

EBay offering is well pitted, Robert Kapteyn has N.O.S. nice pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                EBay offering is well pitted, Robert Kapteyn has N.O.S. nice pieces.
                Those trunk mouldings were used on all 1941 Studebaker cars, Champion, Commander and President. It should be noted however that they are not all the same inasmuch as the curvature of the deck lid is slightly different on the various models and body styles. I suggest you look on the back side of the ornament for the four digit casting number (it is not a part number) and include that when you make an inquiry to prospective vendors. By the way tim333 I have known Bob Kapteyn for nearly 40 years and see him frequently but do not know his complete parts inventory. He was in one of the best sources esp for pre-war parts. However I would be very surprised if he has that part NOS. Bob posts here often so probably appropriate to let Bob speak on the availability. By the way I do have at least two of those NOS ornaments but since I still have '41 cars not for sale at this time. (Though no trunk ornament needed for this one!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5623 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1716689
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I saw two at Bob's place last week, told him of this thread. He said he would chime in later.

Comment

I have two but have to check the casting numbers as Richard suggested.
                    One is near mint and one has very light pitting.
                    Paul , please look for the 4 digit casting number.
                    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

The casting number on both I have is 5646.
                      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Hi Robert my casting number is the same 5646.

Comment

Thanks

Just like to say thanks to everyone. Richard, thank you for your knowledge on the casting number.

I will post some pics when I have finished her. I've had he re painted but slightly different tones from the original. Now I am slowly putting things back together.

Meanwhile back to the lazy S. Was it just left plain metal? On mine the area around the "S" was painted red, as are the small stripes on the bumper over riders and the stripes of the door handles.

Is this right or was the previous owner a bit on the artistic side?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	march 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1716701 I had a domed decal made to look like one for the engine cover of my 51 Champion.
                            Jon Stalnaker
                            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

the "S" should not have red paint on it. if paint is needed for the red areas, Rustoleum 7765 Regal Red is a match.
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X