Engine rebuild update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild update

My Sky Hawk has been at Thomas Engine Rebuilders in Deer Park LI for five months. Although I have no previous experience with this, it seems like an extraordinarily long time. While there were two cars ahead of mine, and it's a small shop with only three machinists, this still seems like a long time. They say that the reason is that they keep discovering problems which may have contributed to the engine's failure, though there's still no definitive answer to that. The have given me old parts upon my request, and the company has been in business for thirty years. Reviews are mostly very positive and there appears to be no unresolved complaints against that although I plan to investigate further. Removing the car and engine and taking it somewhere else to finish it isn't feasible, and neither is shipping it to someplace across the country on the recommendation of some of our members.The feeling of being helpless and at their mercy is very discomforting. thoughts?
    peter lee

not a new development. many shops "tie up" projects when better money comes their way, or more money comes their way. Be patient... others will chime in...

Comment

I rebuilt a carry in engine, out of the car, in 2 weeks. Including machine shop work, cleaning, boring, heads resurfaced and seats done, and 8 rods recondition.

Comment

Peter -

What is their excuse for not getting on it, getting it done ?
        It's "really" not a big deal, it's just an internal combustion engine. The biggest thing to watch for is that pesky hidden pipe plug in the distributor housing in the block. That has nothing to do with the machining..!

Mike

Comment

Peter, I can identify with your concern. In addition to your legitimate questions regarding the "time" involved, is something I call "Separation Anxiety." Heck, when I'm out with my Studebaker, I don't like eating at a restaurant where there is no windows for me to keep an eye on my vehicle. Add to that, the fact that you have pretty much lost this "enjoyment season," and the disappointment is compounded.

There is something to the old saying "squeaky wheel get the grease," but, as we know, especially those of us with "edgy independent mechanic" personalities, it's all about the approach. But, I will defer to you in how you interact with the folks you are paying. Perhaps, your best "humility hat," and an in-person visit (with a box of donuts) to inspect progress? Or, a question you would never hear from a CASO like me..."How much extra would you charge to "speed things up?"

Whatever happens, my hope is that you get your money's worth, and future posts will be about the great times you are having with a good running car!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Can only offer condolences. Slow service, large bills, and indifferent workmanship have become the rule. Establishments with previously good reps are not exempt. I've heard of this kind of ransomming before. Best thing is get it out and find a reputable mechanic by asking SDC members. If you have too much trouble with them--see a lawyer. A few experiences with shysters might help them clean up their act.

Comment

People who want to be in the old car hobby, but are not able to do their own work (for multiple reasons) are at a clear disadvantage when service is required. And service on old cars should always be thought of as "when", not "if".

This shop is clearly not working on your car. Let's say they spent 1 day pulling the engine. Another day to disassemble the engine. Yet another day (thinking an 8 hour work day) to clean and measure the parts. Let's say they had to outsource some work, like magnafluxing parts to ensure no cracks exist....one week should have covered the logistics of getting them out the door and back. Let's also assume machine work to the block, crank, heads, rods (unless you really blew this thing up, we'll leave the cam out of the calculation) takes another 2 weeks. We've now spent 3 weeks and 3 days labor or services on your car. It will be interesting to see how your shop explains how they have been able to spread 3 weeks into 5 months.
              Lots-o-luck
              Mike Sal

Comment

5 month's is a very long time for an engine overhaul. I work at a restoration - hot rod shop on the weekends and a complete body off nut and bolt resto take's on average 2 years.

Comment

We used to have an engine shop locally called RPM Engineering. They had three or four machinists and did great work at fair prices. So good in fact, that they were the go to shop for many of the local race teams. If I took my engine in at the wrong time of year, you could wait six months as the race work came first.

The difference was, they were up front about the time frame. They always suggested the best time was late in the year when budgets were used up and next years money was not yet set.

Then they could turn around a block, crank and heads in a couple of weeks. That didn't include assembly. I did my own.

It could be something like that but IIWM, I'd have a discussion about a time line and how they would meet it. Otherwise, you may never see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Bob

Comment

I'm jealous....my frame off resto project has been dragging along so long.....sure glad I'm not paying myself to have it done in a reasonable about of time.....

Comment

Don't be jealous Mike .. my last nut and bolt ,polish ,chrome , powder coat ,paint ,buff etc. Hot Rod was a six year project. I just sold it after owning it 25 years... The stuff I build now I drive the crap out of every day But there are still a lot of folks willing to pay craftsmen to build bad ass cars..thank goodness

Comment

Originally posted by lumpy View Post
                        5 month's is a very long time for an engine overhaul. I work at a restoration - hot rod shop on the weekends and a complete body off nut and bolt resto take's on average 2 years.
                        My car took at least three years to be fully restored, including the engine. BTW, it's "months" and "takes" without the apostrophe.
                        peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                          I'm jealous....my frame off resto project has been dragging along so long.....sure glad I'm not paying myself to have it done in a reasonable about of time.....
                          My body-off-frame (how do you take a frame off a body?) resto took at least three years. I had agreed to buy it at about the halfway point and had to wait a year and a half for it to be done, and even then there were some issues.
                          peter lee

Comment

It took me 7 years on my E45.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Peter, I can identify with your concern. In addition to your legitimate questions regarding the "time" involved, is something I call "Separation Anxiety." Heck, when I'm out with my Studebaker, I don't like eating at a restaurant where there is no windows for me to keep an eye on my vehicle. Add to that, the fact that you have pretty much lost this "enjoyment season," and the disappointment is compounded.

There is something to the old saying "squeaky wheel get the grease," but, as we know, especially those of us with "edgy independent mechanic" personalities, it's all about the approach. But, I will defer to you in how you interact with the folks you are paying. Perhaps, your best "humility hat," and an in-person visit (with a box of donuts) to inspect progress? Or, a question you would never hear from a CASO like me..."How much extra would you charge to "speed things up?"

Whatever happens, my hope is that you get your money's worth, and future posts will be about the great times you are having with a good running car!
                              I've showed up at the shop a few times, but as it's an hour's drive away it's not something I care to do very often. If I did, at this point If I'd show up at opening and wait the whole day and be as annoying as possible which, if you ask people who know me, I am very adept. I haven't figured out what's the best approach.
                              peter lee

Comment

Working...
                              X