Brake Job & "Green Stuff" Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake Job & "Green Stuff" Pads

Today, I finally finished the comprehensive brake job on the 63GT, and drove it about 60 miles. Only components not replaced were the three front metal lines, and I know they are in good condition. It was originally a DB equipped car, but a prior owner had converted the fronts to Turners'. Now, with all new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, dual MC conversion, and tall pedal, it is probably better than when new.

The Turner fronts, with "Green Stuff" pads by EBC work beautifully together. At $80, the pads are pricey, but worth it to me. The brakes come on quickly, but very controllable, with minimal pedal pressure. I have not tried a haul down from higher speed yet, but understand fading is minimal. I am told the downside is that the pads wear quickly, but that's OK, long as they improve braking, and they certainly do that. Now, I feel comfortable with the wife exercising the car now and then, when she takes a notion.

I highly recommend the Green Stuff pads, even over the Hawk HPS (high performance street) pads.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 09-22-2017, 06:43 PM.

Joe, what were the part #'s for the pads?

thx
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
      Joe, what were the part #'s for the pads?

thx
      EBC-DP21146. They are 2000 series pads, meaning they wear quickest, but have best friction. There are other series, which wear slower, but less friction, mainly for SUVBs, 4WD, etc. The 2000 series fits a plethora of 1978-2002 GM vehicles, i.e. Cadillac, Monte Carlo, Pontiac, Buick, etc.. They fit the Turner calipers perfectly.

I got them a month ago from Summitt for $78.27, but just my luck, Summitt now lists them for $59.22. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Today, I finally finished the comprehensive brake job on the 63GT, and drove it about 60 miles. Only components not replaced were the three front metal lines, and I know they are in good condition. It was originally a DB equipped car, but a prior owner had converted the fronts to Turners'. Now, with all new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, rotors, calipers, pads, hoses, dual MC conversion, and tall pedal, it is probably better than when new.

The Turner fronts, with "Green Stuff" pads by EBC work beautifully together. At $80, the pads are pricey, but worth it to me. The brakes come on quickly, but very controllable, with minimal pedal pressure. I have not tried a haul down from higher speed yet, but understand fading is minimal. I am told the downside is that the pads wear quickly, but that's OK, long as they improve braking, and they certainly do that. Now, I feel comfortable with the wife exercising the car now and then, when she takes a notion.

I highly recommend the Green Stuff pads, even over the Hawk HPS (high performance street) pads.
        Agree! I don't know what Jim Turner supplies for pads with his complete front brake kit (I bought the econo kit), but the third set that I tried - EBC green stuff - did the trick and I'm real happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          EBC-DP21146. I got them a month ago from Summitt for $78.27, but just my luck, Summitt now lists them for $59.22. LOL
          sounds like a good time to pick up a couple sets of spares!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
          X