Ballast Resister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ballast Resister

Hi all, long time lurker, first time posting. I have learned a lot from search the forum but i can't seem to find the answer. I have a 1957 Commander Sedan with 259 V-8, it has a ballast resister on the firewall and also seems to have either a small condenser or capacitor mounted above it, i am redoing the ignition system and can't find a part number or description for this part. Any help would be appreciated.

That's an "interference suppression capacitor", intended to mute ignition noise in the radio. It's not essential.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The Ballast Resistor is important and available at all Auto Parts Stores.

The Radio Condenser is shown and listed in the Radio Section of the Accessory Group of the Body Parts Catalog.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Bondoman- I hope your name is not an indication of your Studebaker's body! Seriously, welcome!

Comment

Ha Ha! No bondo in the Stude that i know of. My grown kids started calling me that about 10 years ago when i was restoring our 1850's house with a lot of ornate trim, instead of recreating each small piece i would use the gray home bondo and fill it, carve and sand it, then paint. Works really good.

Comment

The NAPA number for the correct capacitor is RC1 and it is necessary for keeping noise out of the radio. There should also be a capacitor on the armature terminal of the generator and on the battery terminal of the regulator. Bud

Comment

Working...
              X