Studebaker lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker lark

Ok guys here's my stude. As I mentioned before I am Studebaker newbie.

About a year and half ago me and my wife and a few friends went to a car "museum" basically just a bunch of old cars for sale, and my wife (and me admittedly) went crazy for a 1952 Plymouth suburban (2 door wagon)

So after this chance encounter I kept thinking about it and my wife kept talking about it.
    So a few months later I found a 49 Plymouth 2 door wagon that the owner really did want to part with to badly. So after that Saturday road trip that idea was shelved until another day. Fast forward a year and a half. I began thinking I would never find a Plymouth, so I started to look at 63-67 Chevy nova wagons. After all I'm a Chevy guy. So I found one 67 to look at. Went and checked it out. Guy was crazy about novas, probably 30-40 of them sitting around his place. So he was unreasonable about his expections, to me at least.

So that leads me to here. I decided that a nova was just to plain. The oddness of the Plymouth was one of the big pulls of the car in the first place. A plain ole chevy just wouldn't do.

So we took to the internet to see what we liked. And after days and days of looking we decided on a lark.
    Now to find one. I looked high and low and finally found one in California ( that I liked) My sister In law lives out there and told me she would check out whatever we found.
    So with that a deal was done and we are now owners of a Studebaker lark!

So funny thing is after I bought it I found a listing of it from a couple years ago.
    Ha! You can check out the listing here:

Barn Finds reader Marc from Santa Fe sent in this neat old wagon that's looking for a new owner. It's advertised here on craigslist in San Clemente, California for $6,000. The seller says this is the ultimate beach or camping wagon, and while I might not quite agree on those counts, it is a pretty cool...

Anyway on with the pictures!

Click image for larger version

Name:	64018.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1755677

Name:	64054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1755678

Name:	64017.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1755679

Name:	64022.jpg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1755680

Name:	60576.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1755681

Name:	60575.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1755682

Name:	60589.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1755683

Name:	64019.jpg
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1755684
    Last edited by Studelarkrod; 09-13-2017, 06:37 PM.

It looks like a great car. You should have a lot of fun with it. Glad you ended up with a Lark instead of the Nova. People will walk right past a Nova to take a look at a nice Lark wagon. It helps that your wife is on board, so you can enjoy it together.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I had a few 62-65 Nova's, even a wagon, & among Chevies (& I'va had a few) I reckon it's the best built Chevies, but compared to a Lark it's to boring.
      My parents had a also red(!) -59 wagon in the early 70's & that cars interior REALLY had me realizing that there aint no other interior color worth much for me!
      Congrats to a NICE car!
      Last edited by Noxnabaker; 02-17-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks, it does have some rust. It looks like the passager front fender has a good amount of rot and the passager door does to. I am not fully aware yet as I still don't have the car.
        Should be interesting to see what's up once I get it.
        I do plan on a mild "hot rod" build. No V8s or fancy billet wheels, but my wife wants to drive this car and she drives a 2015 impala, so she's going to have a certain standard of road manners that I am not sure ANY car from the 60s can deliver. ( Mind you we are in our early - mid 30s so we where never are to drive these old cars when they were new) We will drive it the way it is first before a true game plan will be set in stone.

Right now I am finishing up my 650hp 496bbc 76 Chevy truck. Once that is done I should be digging into the lark for some updating and rust repair and paint.
        The plan for paint is a red on the body with a cream top and cream colored steel wheels.
        Much like this lark wagon here.

Name:	DSCN0889-800x510.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1716368

Also here's a picture of my current build, the Stepside.

Name:	IMG_20170708_144306455_HDR.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1716369

Comment

Your pic on the other Lark wagon makes me put in that my -55 sedan has red interior & the outside is going to be dark red, I like the inside to be bright & happy.
          There's also a few guys here who's done chassis work for better roadholding & I would advice you to check out "Racing Studebakers", that's a seriously interesting site!
          Last edited by Noxnabaker; 09-14-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I'll check it out.

Comment

As you get into this build, you will learn that parts are not that hard to find for Studebakers. Join the SDC and look for a local chapter to also join. The SDC magazine Turning Wheels is an excellent publication and will be invaluable to you with it's tech advice and parts vendors resources. We love seeing younger people getting involved in studes. You will get plenty of comments on your car when you start driving it around. My granddaughter wore her studebaker t-shirt to the store and an old man said to her "do you even know what a studebaker is?" to which she replied "yes, I own one, would you like to see a picture of it?"

And this forum is also a great resource. When I have questions about my studebakers, I post it on this forum and usually have answers within minutes. Welcome
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Much to manys (I assume) dismay I don't think there with be much left on the stude that rolled out of south bend.
                As much as I would like to keep it Studebaker, I am just looking for more modern technology to put into this car.
                I figure some will balk at my plans, but if it keeps it on the road I see nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studelarkrod View Post
                  I figure some will balk at my plans, but if it keeps it on the road I see nothing wrong with it.
                  There's nothing wrong with that at all! As I've said before,"Your money, your ride!"Build it the way you want and run the wheels off of it! Also, let's see some photos along the way---good luck!

Comment

If your better half wants to drive the car, and doesn't have a lot of 50-60's time behind the wheel.... go Chevy drivetrain, complete new front end9Fat man/Mustang II), stabilization bars, PS, PDB..... maybe even drop it on a late model chassis/frame.....

Comment

Well this happened last night.

Name:	IMG_20170921_232122655.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1716503
                      Last edited by Studelarkrod; 09-22-2017, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Name:	IMG_20170921_233438195-2099x1181.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1716507

Name:	IMG_20170921_232458275.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1716508

Name:	IMG_20170921_232136423.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1716509

Stude lark hotrod in my driveway.
                        It's a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                          If your better half wants to drive the car, and doesn't have a lot of 50-60's time behind the wheel.... go Chevy drivetrain, complete new front end9Fat man/Mustang II), stabilization bars, PS, PDB..... maybe even drop it on a late model chassis/frame.....
                          Pretty much the plan.

Comment

I put a MoPar smallblock, 904 with o.d. & 81/4 in my -55 sedan, fits real well, so there's other options than Chevy.
                            The biggest problem was my lack of experiance from doing it...
                            & as for roadholding I put 14x6 in the front, I might cut a bit on the spring later + gas shocks but it handles good enough for me already.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                              I put a MoPar smallblock, 904 with o.d. & 81/4 in my -55 sedan, fits real well, so there's other options than Chevy.
                              The biggest problem was my lack of experiance from doing it...
                              & as for roadholding I put 14x6 in the front, I might cut a bit on the spring later + gas shocks but it handles good enough for me already.
                              I Understand, but their is no V8 in this little car's future.
                              Plan is a v6 and 6 speed auto.
                              Power steering, disc brakes, mustang 2, and a 8/9 inch ford
                              17 inch steel wheels.

Comment

Working...
                              X