Mini National on The East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
    Ed, I've read your posts and know the frustrations you feel. I know that's why there was no Tom's River meet last year and this as well. We face the same thing on the national level and don't know what the future will bring after 2019 in Mansfield OH. There are no chapters in the Atlantic Zone who will under take the task of a Zone meet with the primary problem being manpower. Most chapters no longer produce newsletters in the AZ as membership is waning. I'll read the rest of your posts.
    Don, there are at least four chapters in the AZ that are producing newsletters. We (Delmarva Chapter) have one, as does the Potomac Chapter, the Delaware Valley Chapter, and as far as I know, Keystone Keynotes is still being produced. Not sure about the chapters in VA or NJ. Like Ed Jones and the Garden State chapter, we don't have much turnout at our meetings, but we don't have that many Studebaker owners over here, either. I think we've captured all that we can. We get maybe 5 to 10 out at our meetings, but have a membership of more than 30, some of whom I've never seen. So why, I asked myself, do they pay us $20 a year to belong? The answer seems to be that the newsletter is the glue. I can think of no other reason.

Regarding zone meets, the last one I recall in the AZ was in 2013, a joint one put on by the South Jersey and Gardan State chapters in Cherry Hill, NJ, outside of Philly. It was a nice, well planned meet, and the following year our little old chapter hosted the International at Dover, DE (as you know), despite our limited membership, but with significant support from the host hotel and a dedicated volunteer from the South Jersey chapter. But despite these accomplishments, it is disheartening to see a limited number of people coming out for activities, and I understand completely where Ed is coming from on this. Steve White (Prez of Potomac Chapter) and I have talked a little bit about doing a joint activity but a lot of folks just seem daunted by driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in a 50 plus year old car, so I don't have much hope for anything actually getting off the ground. And it's not like these are problems unique to SDC. On Monday night I attended a meeting of another club I belong to, which is sort of street rod oriented. They had a good turnout but everyone had grey hair, and there was talk of low turnouts for certain events.

So anyway, the Nutmeg Chapter is to be commended for stepping up to do a zone meet next year and I'll look forward to attending.

Comment

Could it be that the future is already here.....?
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

The Long Island chapter has a newsletter circulated online. I plan on attending the CT event if I ever get my car back from the engine rebuilder who seems to be working on it at a rather leisurely pace.
        peter lee

Comment

The GSC has a condensed e mail letter that goes out almost every month and we maybe talking to the So. Jersey about joining forces , A meeting may be held next month to discuss this , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
            Are we a club in decline....?
            I don't know about the club, but I certainly am in decline.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It's a big country. I think having one in the middle of the country and one on each coast each year would be great. More participation and more fun. Probably more cars too. The only question would be who would organize each one. But that can be solved, I'm sure.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I decline to decline, but sometimes this old body has a say in it. What's the old saying, "What I used to do all night now takes me all night to do?"
                Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                I don't know about the club, but I certainly am in decline.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Frank, I am aware of the newsletters that are produced as I receive electronic copies of yours, Potomac, Greater Va., Central VA, Allegheny, and hard copy of Keynotes. Beyond that I see none from Delaware Valley, South Jersey, GSC or the balance of the VA. chapters. I know some chapters hold events but do it via word of mouth. I totally agree with you that a newsletter is the life blood of a chapter but some just don't do one. Ed's newsletter is a great idea and Ed please put me on your list email only as I don't want to cost you $$$. Del Valley I have asked and I can't even get a list of current officers from them. I also know Bob Dudeck has tried as well. The same goes for the South Jersey Chapter. I also get Kinua's done by Steve Grant. All except Keystone come via email which makes it easier to store for me.

As for AZ Zone Meets you are correct as I failed to mention the combined efforts of GSC and SJ in Cherry Hill. Of course you all did a great job with a small chapter to do the Dover International and it went well. Lots of people stepped up outside of the chapter to assist you and would do it again if necessary. Only if someone would step up and volunteer to run it. Potomac's Fall tour, a three day event, has been planned by Paul and I and we are hoping for at least 30 or so to turnout. I know you've seen the flyer and will see it again soon with some up dated info.

I also commend Nutmeg and wish them great success.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I like the idea of having a zone meet on the east coast, i.e. the Nutmeg Chapter. I would likely attend the meet. I know there is concern about the declining attendance at car shows. The Studebaker Club is not alone. All car clubs are experiencing declining membership. That's the way it is. Those of us who enjoy going to car meets will continue to do so. I'm 80, and as long as I can drive, I plan to attend car shows and meets. My local chapter, The Long Island Chapter is small, approx. 26 members. Yet we really enjoy being with each other and our size is not a detriment.
                    We even have our own website.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                      I like the idea of having a zone meet on the east coast, i.e. the Nutmeg Chapter. I would likely attend the meet. I know there is concern about the declining attendance at car shows. The Studebaker Club is not alone. All car clubs are experiencing declining membership. That's the way it is. Those of us who enjoy going to car meets will continue to do so. I'm 80, and as long as I can drive, I plan to attend car shows and meets. My local chapter, The Long Island Chapter is small, approx. 26 members. Yet we really enjoy being with each other and our size is not a detriment.
                      We even have our own website.
                      Rog
                      In the distant past, I used to drive down to Long Island Chapter meetings and events/shows. Now, I would have to be paid a lot to get me to drive down there for anything.

Every SDC Zone is supposed to have an annual Zone Meet. I know that it is hard to get people to do this. I have run dozens of SDC meets, including a Zone Meet. I used to attend all of the Northeast and Atlantic Zone Meets, but those days are gone.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I called the hotel directly at 860 741 2211 and booked a room for $105.00 per night under the Nutmeg Stude name. Looked on line and the best rate was about 133.00 Just saying.! Didn't get the confirmation yet so who knows but let's keep this thread alive and MAKE THE EAST THE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Im one of those guys Ed vents about. Rightly so. Ive owned Studes since 1973, was a club member for years (off and on), but never joined a chapter. Looking back at my old TW...to see (by count) one issue from 1978 has 143 cars for sale, and meets everywhere, even in NJ. Yes this whole thing is fading away. Now, Cherry Hill NJ is like taking a ride to Hell. No one in their right mind will drive a stock 60 year old car on those roads. Of course one issue is that we are old too...plus mostly all the cars are gone. One time here i quipped here that the weight of extant TW magazines now outweighs the combined weight of existing roadworthy Studebakers. ......as to “showing” our cars, Im sure most will agree with me we get most kicks explaining our car to interested folks at the local Wawa , instead of a “car show” where if you dont have a Rat Rod or Chevelle NO ONE even looks at your stock Stude. We should all just consign ourselves that our cars are now a “private passion” and best enjoyed on a quiet country road driving 45 mph and listening to oldies on the AM radio.

Comment

BTW my Wife drove from south jersey to Warwick RI over the holidays to visit our daughter and it was a 7 hour traffic clogged nightmare. This drive in a new mini that will go 160 mph and she drive throgh CT and didnt hardly get out of first gear

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                              BTW my Wife drove from south jersey to Warwick RI over the holidays to visit our daughter and it was a 7 hour traffic clogged nightmare. This drive in a new mini that will go 160 mph and she drive throgh CT and didnt hardly get out of first gear
                              We have to get that bridge built from Long Island to New Haven! <G>

Comment

Jim, On the 21st of January the GSC is having a Luncheon at 1:00 p.m. If you can attend maybe you could promote the zone meet and even maybe a caravan , I would but Laura and I will be in Florida , Thanks Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X