Thread: Studebakers at local car show

Studebakers at local car show

Curtis Lumber Co.in Balston Spa NY had a nice car, truck and Jeep show Sunday. In a field of 375 cars there were 11 Studebakers present.
    Our chapter was there with 5 , the owner of the lumber co. had his 5 on display, and there was one non member there with a Studebaker truck. We talked to him about the club, gave him information on joining the national club and our chapter. Here are our Chapter members cars and our "prospect's" truck.
    IMG_2861.jpgIMG_2866.jpgIMG_2867.jpgIMG_2868.jpgIMG_2880.jpg20170910_100036[1].jpg
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

more pic.s

These 5 belong to the Curtis family, the hosts of the show.
    IMG_2875.jpgIMG_2876.jpgIMG_2877.jpgIMG_2878.jpgIMG_2874.jpg
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Speedster Member
    I'm amazed every time I see a pickup with a chromed grille. I wonder, "How did anyone ever get an old grille straightened so well without body filler or even primer surfacer." The grille on my 55 looked pretty decent but not perfect. Yet, I had an awful time getting all parts of the grills straight and matched up with the fenders. Congratulations to anyone who can do such excellent work that the grille can be chromed.

Quote Originally Posted by truckguy View Post
    I'm amazed every time I see a pickup with a chromed grille. I wonder, "How did anyone ever get an old grille straightened so well without body filler or even primer surfacer." The grille on my 55 looked pretty decent but not perfect. Yet, I had an awful time getting all parts of the grills straight and matched up with the fenders. Congratulations to anyone who can do such excellent work that the grille can be chromed.
    What's even more interesting (to me)...how much would it cost to get something that large chromed??? When some ornaments cost in the hundreds to chrome, how much more this Grille? I would like to see more pics of this truck. I believe the one in my truck is straight enough to be chromed, but I prefer it just as it is with a contrasting color paint scheme. I suppose, like a lot of things that make life interesting, we all have our preferences of what is attractive. I like to see trucks with different complementary paint schemes, instead of a single color.

Done well, dividing the paint lines will highlight overall design features, and offer a visual treat instead of looking like an outlined blob on wheels. Two toned "Transtars" with the paint line along their distinctive chrome molding makes them very attractive to me. All the Studebakers I see in the pics, look to represent the brand well. I bet the number represented at this show, is a higher ratio that would have been seen at any venue parking lot, back in the day, when Studebaker was still producing them. That in itself, this many years later, is very remarkable.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Whoa! That one 2R really filled and smoothed out.
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougHolverson View Post
    Whoa! That one 2R really filled and smoothed out.
    I'll say. That came out slick.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    jclary.... I agree about painting the grille. I actually think a painted grille looks nicer. I leave the chrome to trim and in one of my 2 trucks, the bumpers.

Good lookin' car show, thanks for posting the pix, especially the M5!

Quote Originally Posted by truckguy View Post
    jclary.... I agree about painting the grille. I actually think a painted grille looks nicer. I leave the chrome to trim and in one of my 2 trucks, the bumpers.
    Me toooo!.....
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.