Vic Edelbrock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic Edelbrock

I received my November, 2017 Hot Rod and discovered to my surprise, Vic had died. I don't know how I missed it prior to this. He was certainly an icon for all of us growing up. I was privileged to have met him several times at SEMA as well as other automotive trade shows and events. He was a class act who did so much for our hobby, especially those of you running small block Chevrolets as well as his carburetors.

• Facebook
    • Tweet
    • Pinterest
    • Email

Vic Edelbrock Jr. passed away Friday, June 9, at the age of 80 after complications from a cold.
    “It's with deep sadness that we announce the untimely death of our visionary and leader Vic Edelbrock Jr.,” the company website read. “Vic passed away this evening from complications following a recent cold. His passing was peaceful and in the company of his closest friends and family. The Edelbrock Fun Team sends their deepest condolences to his family and will always hold him in our hearts.”
    Vic Edelbrock Jr. took over the aftermarket performance parts company that bears his name after the untimely passing of his father, Vic Edelbrock Sr. Vic Jr. was just 26 when his father died in 1962. With a small but dedicated band of 10 employees, Vic Jr. not only kept the company growing but made it into one of the largest performance parts entities in the world.
    It’s a long story that starts in 1933 when Vic Sr. opened an automotive repair shop on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. Soon after, Edelbrock cars were racing on the circle tracks and dry lakes of Southern California during the golden age of hot rodding. In 1938, Vic Sr. bought a ’32 Ford and used it to test new speed parts, more or less inventing the marketing tool that would later be known as “the project car.” The first big seller from an Edelbrock project car was the Slingshot manifold, used by Vic Sr. on the dry lakes to clock a prewar time of 121.42 mph in the ’32.
    Business wasn’t the only thing growing for the Edelbrock name. Vic Jr. was born in 1936 and started working summers in his dad’s shop at age 12.
    “I was making $2 a day and I thought I was really living,” he told us when we spoke to him for a 2002 story.
    The towering Vic Jr. went to the University of Southern California on a football scholarship, graduated with a degree in business in 1959 and went to work full time for his dad’s business. Just three years later, Vic Sr. was diagnosed with inoperable cancer.
    “He had no chance,” said Vic Jr. “Four months later he left us.”
    Not only did Vic Jr. have to deal with the death of his father and mentor, but he suddenly found himself at the helm of a fully funded company with 10 employees and $200,000 in the bank.
    Many an heir would have blown it all in a couple of years, and some expected Vic Jr. to do just that. But one thing the father had taught the son was the value of good people. Among the 10 Edelbrock employees were Don Towle, Bobby Meeks and Bob Bradford.
    “They stuck with me,” said Vic Jr.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-life...#ixzz4sUMHH1hY

I too wasn't aware of his passing until I got the mag in the mail. He certainly was a giant in the world of cars. Bill

Comment

It was Vic Jr. that passed away.

I had a real nice conversation with him about having his company possibly make aluminum intake manifolds and aluminum cylinder heads for Studebaker V8 engines.
      He was real interested and told me a lot about his early days as a kid at the foundry making flathead Ford intakes.
      He took me over to the Edelbrock Foundry booth (around the corner, but attatched to the Edelbrock booth) and introduced me to his manufacturing arm.
      I remembered smiling when he said to his sales manager "Take care of this guy...He likes Studebaker engines"...
      Then... After crunching some numbers... Reality set in.

One thing to remember about Edelbrock, the company. They got into money troubles some years back, and ended up selling out.
      Then, after a few years, Vic Jr. bought all of the shares back and took the company back private.
      Quite a business accomplishment.

He will be missed.
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-15-2017, 05:10 AM.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

"Having his company possibly make aluminum intake manifolds and aluminum cylinder heads for Studebaker V8 engines."
        Thanks for trying Jeff. Sadly it didn't come to fruition. It would have opened up a whole new chapter for us Studebaker fans.
        Bill

Comment

It could still happen. Need a commitment for about 400 intakes and 300 pair of heads (iirc).
          Anyone have 1/2 to 3/4 million laying around?

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
          "Having his company possibly make aluminum intake manifolds and aluminum cylinder heads for Studebaker V8 engines."
          Thanks for trying Jeff. Sadly it didn't come to fruition. It would have opened up a whole new chapter for us Studebaker fans.
          Bill
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You are the only one I can think of as I hear Irma heard about your stash and was trying to dig it up in your back yard from under one of those trees!
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              It could still happen. Need a commitment for about 400 intakes and 300 pair of heads (iirc).
              Anyone have 1/2 to 3/4 million laying around?

Edelbrock doesn't make anything but performance stuff...seeing Edelbrock aluminum Stude heads and intakes would revolutionize Studebaker performance. Camshafts could follow to make a matched set of parts. Alas...if only!

I guess I need to keep playing the Powerball.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
              X