Lumir S. Palma: And now there is ONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumir S. Palma: And now there is ONE

Many of you know my father, former Packard-Nash-Studebaker dealer Lumir S. Palma. On Wednesday, September 6, Dad succumbed to complications from a variety of old-age maladies complicated by a fall that broke his right hip on August 30.

Here's the obituary I wrote, which will appear in the Saturday, September 9 and Sunday, September 10 editions of The Indianapolis Star:

See all locations in the Leppert family. View obituaries and services, get directions and get in touch 24/7.

At the time of his passing, there were two known, positively-identified former, living, Packard dealers, to the best of my knowledge; my Father and Don Noller, Uncle of Tom Noller here on the forum. Dad had achieved 100 years of age, whereas Don is still in his 90s. Tom Noller today (Wednesday, September 27) confirmed that his Uncle Don is still living and doing well, so he is now the last one.

RIP, Dad; yours was a helluva run. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-27-2017, 03:31 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Our thoughts are with you Bob & Cari. May he Rest in Peace as living to be 100 through that toughest of times is one heck of an accomplishment.
    Bill

Comment

Bob, may the Lord give you and your family strength and comfort in this difficult time. Will be praying for you.

Paul
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Very sorry for your loss Bob. The changes in the world that your father saw during that 100 years I can't even comprehend. He must have had many tale to tell you over the years. We never stop missing them but are blessed to have had them.
        Nick

Comment

Bob, although distance has us far apart, I consider you a close friend. In my opinion, a child can pay no higher honor, except to build and reflect well on their parent's character. You sir, are a great example of his legacy.

Your well written tribute tells of a life, not only long in years, but full in facing, meeting, and succeeding in its challenges. Prayers to you, and the entire family, for peace and comfort during this time.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

How blessed you and your family are to have had your father with you so long.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
              The changes in the world that your father saw during that 100 years I can't even comprehend. He must have had many tale to tell you over the years. Nick
              True, Nick, and thanks to all for their thoughts and good wishes.

The one thing he lived to see that he would have bet $1,000 he'd never see was General Motors being managed so badly that it had to crawl to the Federal Government to avoid bankruptcy.

Dad recalled time and again how difficult it was to sell the independents against General Motors in the 1950s. I'm sure it was. One short job I didn't mention in the obituary was being Sales Manager at Widdis-Neilsen Pontiac in Danville IL in 1957. In that he had just left fighting GM for four years, he said it was amazing, how easy it was to sell GM cars, "...people just came in mesmerized; they couldn't get their checkbooks open fast enough to buy a new Pontiac."

If you had told him then that he would live to see the day when General Motors faced certain bankruptcy unless the Federal Government ran up the National Debt even higher to save its sorry butt, he would have suspected you were hallucinating. But you wouldn't have been and he still wouldn't have believed it. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, and don't forget the eventual demise of Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth and many other brands which we all grew up with. Who would have thought that possible?
                Bill

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss, Bob. I'm glad he was he able to live to a time in which, via social media like our forum, he could see how much the cars he loved continue to be appreciated.

Comment

My condolences on your loss.
                    It is unusual for men to live past 100. I used to take my father to the annual Dutchess County party for those over 100. There was usually about a dozen women and my father.
                    My father died in 2006 at the age of 103. Like you, we were close. I miss him every day.
                    Hold onto your good memories.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      ... unless the Federal Government ran up the National Debt even higher to save its sorry butt, ...
                      Fortunately he lived long enough to see all that federal money returned, plus some; at the expense of GM's preferred shareholders.

Very sorry for your loss, Bob. Sounds like he was quite a guy!
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My condolences Bob. May you too live to be 100+.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Our sympathy to you and your family Bob.
                          Jim & Judy
                          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Bob and Cari,

What a rich, full, wonderful and blessed life! All of the stories over the years of you father and uncle in Turning wheels has always been a great thing to read. My father would have turned 100 last year but passed at age 57. What a blessing to have him with you and your family to enrich your lives and the stories to cherish as they are retold to the present and future generations.

We have been given memories for a purpose: to share with others. There may come a time when something will trigger a good memory of you father and mother. Call someone in the family and share that and please share that by writing down and share that with the Studebaker family too.

Sorry for your loss
                            Bob and Jenny Miles
                            Tucson AZ

Comment

Bob,

Very sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X