Thread: Lumir S. Palma: And now there is ONE

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)

Lumir S. Palma: And now there is ONE

Many of you know my father, former Packard-Nash-Studebaker dealer Lumir S. Palma. On Wednesday, September 6, Dad succumbed to complications from a variety of old-age maladies complicated by a fall that broke his right hip on August 30.

Here's the obituary I wrote, which will appear in the Saturday, September 9 and Sunday, September 10 editions of The Indianapolis Star:

http://www.leppertmortuary.com/obitu...5/Lumir-Palma/

At the time of his passing, there were two known, positively-identified former, living, Packard dealers, to the best of my knowledge; my Father and Don Noller, Uncle of Tom Noller here on the forum. Dad had achieved 100 years of age, whereas Don is still in his 90s. Tom Noller today (Wednesday, September 27) confirmed that his Uncle Don is still living and doing well, so he is now the last one.

RIP, Dad; yours was a helluva run. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-27-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Our thoughts are with you Bob & Cari. May he Rest in Peace as living to be 100 through that toughest of times is one heck of an accomplishment.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Bob, may the Lord give you and your family strength and comfort in this difficult time. Will be praying for you.

Paul
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Very sorry for your loss Bob. The changes in the world that your father saw during that 100 years I can't even comprehend. He must have had many tale to tell you over the years. We never stop missing them but are blessed to have had them.
    Nick

Bob, although distance has us far apart, I consider you a close friend. In my opinion, a child can pay no higher honor, except to build and reflect well on their parent's character. You sir, are a great example of his legacy.

Your well written tribute tells of a life, not only long in years, but full in facing, meeting, and succeeding in its challenges. Prayers to you, and the entire family, for peace and comfort during this time.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

How blessed you and your family are to have had your father with you so long.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Quote Originally Posted by ndynis View Post
    The changes in the world that your father saw during that 100 years I can't even comprehend. He must have had many tale to tell you over the years. Nick
    True, Nick, and thanks to all for their thoughts and good wishes.

The one thing he lived to see that he would have bet $1,000 he'd never see was General Motors being managed so badly that it had to crawl to the Federal Government to avoid bankruptcy.

Dad recalled time and again how difficult it was to sell the independents against General Motors in the 1950s. I'm sure it was. One short job I didn't mention in the obituary was being Sales Manager at Widdis-Neilsen Pontiac in Danville IL in 1957. In that he had just left fighting GM for four years, he said it was amazing, how easy it was to sell GM cars, "...people just came in mesmerized; they couldn't get their checkbooks open fast enough to buy a new Pontiac."

If you had told him then that he would live to see the day when General Motors faced certain bankruptcy unless the Federal Government ran up the National Debt even higher to save its sorry butt, he would have suspected you were hallucinating. But you wouldn't have been and he still wouldn't have believed it. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

President Member
    Bob, and don't forget the eventual demise of Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth and many other brands which we all grew up with. Who would have thought that possible?
    Bill

I'm sorry for your loss, Bob. I'm glad he was he able to live to a time in which, via social media like our forum, he could see how much the cars he loved continue to be appreciated.

Golden Hawk Member
    My condolences on your loss.
    It is unusual for men to live past 100. I used to take my father to the annual Dutchess County party for those over 100. There was usually about a dozen women and my father.
    My father died in 2006 at the age of 103. Like you, we were close. I miss him every day.
    Hold onto your good memories.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    ... unless the Federal Government ran up the National Debt even higher to save its sorry butt, ...
    Fortunately he lived long enough to see all that federal money returned, plus some; at the expense of GM's preferred shareholders.

Very sorry for your loss, Bob. Sounds like he was quite a guy!
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

My condolences Bob. May you too live to be 100+.

In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

President Member
    Our sympathy to you and your family Bob.
    Jim & Judy
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

President Member
    Bob and Cari,

What a rich, full, wonderful and blessed life! All of the stories over the years of you father and uncle in Turning wheels has always been a great thing to read. My father would have turned 100 last year but passed at age 57. What a blessing to have him with you and your family to enrich your lives and the stories to cherish as they are retold to the present and future generations.

We have been given memories for a purpose: to share with others. There may come a time when something will trigger a good memory of you father and mother. Call someone in the family and share that and please share that by writing down and share that with the Studebaker family too.

Sorry for your loss
    Bob and Jenny Miles
    Tucson AZ

Bob,

Very sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

Rich

Bob,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. It appears he was a major influencer on your life, and you can thank him for getting you into loving cars as much as you do. May your memories live with you forever, and please keep sharing your stories of him and his dealership.

Craig

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Bob, I am so sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Your are right, though. He had a good long run. I am sure he will be greatly missed by his family and friends. Be thankful you had him around so long. That was a blessing.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

President Member
    Bob, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Cherish your memories. He sounded like a great guy.
    Bob and Sharon

Blog Entries
    My sincere condolences, Bob. No matter how great an age our parents achieve, their loss is always heartbreaking.
    Clark in San Diego
    '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

President Member
    Bob & Cari, Thelma and I extend our sincerest condolences to you over your loss of a wonderful father. My major regret is that I never got to know my father. But you will always have his memories to think about when things get you down; then they will go up again. Keep well my friend.

Stu Chapman

President Member
    So sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. I'm sorry that I never had the chance to meet him in person. I would guess that he had some interesting stories about the car business.

Denny

President Member
    Mr. Palmer, my sincere heart felt condolences on the passing of your loved one. May peace be with him for eternity.

Condolences Bob. I lost my Dad many years ago and it is a void that can never be filled.
    I noticed that your folks were married a week after I was born... sorry I couldn't attend the wedding!
    Duane

President Member
    Bob, Very sorry to hear this sad news. The number of Studebaker and Packard dealers that are still alive and can tell us all those good stories and truths about Studebaker are getting too small.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1950 Commander Starlight
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

On behalf of the Nutmeg Chapter, my condolences Bob.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Green53 View Post
    So sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. I'm sorry that I never had the chance to meet him in person. I would guess that he had some interesting stories about the car business. Denny
    That he did, Denny. His mind was still quite clear when interviewed for his Personality Profile that appeared in the May 2010 Hemmings Classic Car. Several such stories are within that article's text, which you can now read for free through this link:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hc...a/3197351.html

Again, thanks to everyone for the condolences expressed here. Dad was the first of my parents to pass and by George; it does leave kind of a hole, doesn't it? It was two weeks ago today that he died, but it seems like longer. BP

Ayn Rand:

Speedster Member
    Bob so sorry to hear of your loss. Thoughts and prayers with your family
    John Hull

President Member
    Sorry for the belated condolences, Bob. I need to check this section of the Forum more often.

Through the bond of our many discussions, my deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. Looks like your father passed on my father's birthday. My dad passed last December. He would have been 84 this September 6.

Hard to take the passing of the people in the Generations that brought us here. Their insight was invaluable. Again, My family's deepest sympathies.

Thanks, you guys; much appreciated. The December Turning Wheels Co-Operator will include a tribute to Dad with several Studebaker references and photos. BP

Ayn Rand: