Thread: Comatosed in outer space way too long.

President Member

Comatosed in outer space way too long.

I must have been in suspended animation for longer than I thought:
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1979-AMC-Pace...item25df513c68

Speedster Member
    The guy did a lot of nice work to the car. Not at all my cup of tea, especially not for $40,000. He could have built two or three nice Studebakers for that.

Pretty dang cool...can see the younger generation loving this, I'm sure my youngest daughter (24) would love this car as she loves green and loves Pacers. Looks like a well thought out build, but to pick a few nits, why didn't the builder go with a 200r4 instead of the 3spd auto? Personally I would have gone with the early hood and left the headlight bezels and grill in bright work to match the bumpers. Speaking to the bumpers, they are on the right track, but I would like them to be more 'wrapped' around the corners of the car...older 60's Jags, first gen Stingrays or first gen Datsun Z's perhaps? Regardless, the builder dared to be different and built a slick ride that stands out from the crowd! cheers, Junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

President Member
    In the end one had best build a car for themselves and not have resale as a consideration. I'm doubting there are few if any people willing to pay $40,000 for this Pacer. And that is not to say that it was poorly done, just that few people likely share the owners enthusiasm. I think this is where I can appreciate the original concept of a Rat Rod. The cost to proof of concept was relatively inexpensive. The whole form of the car was complete. The idea and intent were obvious. Yet the cost was low because the labor and cost of paint, chrome etc. were minimal, if non-existent.

Sadly like all good ideas the concept gets popularized, and people started hacking anything together to make a buck so those lacking in mechanical skills could pay to be popular at the moment. I've always taken the "arrested decay" approach to classic car ownership. Buy the best you can at a minimal cost and then strive to maintain it in a practical, economical way. The concept of paying $5,000+ for a paint job and then worrying it will get a scratch is not what makes the hobby "fun" to me.

Anyway, Buzzard, there is a "reentry reality," not for you, but I think the seller of that Pacer that will eventually prove you were not floating above the atmosphere lacking awareness.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-69 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

President Member
    Wiittsend, Well stated. Approaching reentry, thanks for the enlightenment.
    Bill

President Member
    It's a nice looking Pacer, but at $40,000? I don't care what kind on engine he put into it.
    It's still a Pacer and no Pacer is in that price category. My 2 cents worth.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

WOW!!! A sure fire CHICK MAGNET!!! SBC POWERED LIMA BEAN!!!!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC
    [IMG][/IMG]
    SDC member since 1975

Sometimes its good to have a friend who can say, now wait a minute there my friend.!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

And this is your mind on drugs...........see what happens?
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird