Thread: removing control for heater

Speedster Member

removing control for heater

I wish to free up the cable and mechanism for the Heater control on a 62 GT. I'd prefer to remove the whole thing from the Control Knob to the end of the cable (where it loops over the post on the actual Valve). It looks like a previous owner has perpetrated a little abuse here already and I don't wish to worsen it. How do I remove it from the dash? I have already pulled off the black knob.
    Steve

President Member
    You may be able to remove the retainer nut with a thin pair of needle nose but I would recommend buying the special tool from Chuck Collins in Phoenix to do the job without the chance of a mishap.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Speedster Member
    Apologies for asking what would appear to be a dopey question in the first instance, but This thread might serve to demonstrate what happens when you 'rescue' a Studebaker from 'non-studebaker-people'. Of course there was a circular threaded nut in that switch, but it was brassy and looked a bit abused. It certainly did not look like the proper part- chromed with two opposing slots. I naturally thought it might have been hexagonal and been butchered too many times. I eventually got it off- lo and behold it was an original nut put on backwards .. Thankfully, it looks in good condition this way around. This sort of thing just makes one scratch their heads unnecessarily (I'm not familiar with GT's but I'm learning...). Jeez, I can only wonder what else is up with this thing I've bought.
    Steve

President Member
    Steve, your Australian assembled Hawk probably has the Heater control switch & cable used with the locally sourced Smiths heater.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by stude dude View Post
    Steve, your Australian assembled Hawk probably has the Heater control switch & cable used with the locally sourced Smiths heater.

Chris.
    where are the heaters manufacturer identification marks - no can see. thanks.

President Member
    If it has a pull (to open valve) and turn (to switch on fan) type of control on the dash than it is a Smith type heater, much the same as used on early Falcons, International trucks, etc. The square box type heater under the dash will have a Smiths label on the back.

Speedster Member
    As a matter of fact there is no heater at all, no plenum, ducts or heat exchanger- nothing. There is a Studebaker Demister- operable but a bit noisy, The control I pulled off the left hand portion of the dash is a rotary knob with a gear on itIMG_20170908_160828[1].jpgIMG_20170907_161702.jpgIMG_20170907_161626.jpg which goes up to the firewall mounted water control valve (studebaker). There is a heater switch with Two Resistor coils on it ( the one nearest the dash has its insulator mounting burned through.) The left hand wheel arch had a Studebaker 'snailshell' blower under there- (motor completely shot, bigtime). There are heat exchangers set in the floor wells under the front bench seat. IMG_20170904_121626.jpg IMG_20170913_174158[1].jpgAt the present I am hoping the demister will get me across the line for a roadworthy cert and onto the Club Permit System.

President Member
    Ok that's the US type Climatizer setup, or parts of it at least.

Speedster Member
    I was under the dash sorting out electrics for a replacement windsheild washer bottle when I looked at the water shutoff valve and discovered the firewall was "chopped out" pretty roughly and the removed part just lifted up and folded out of the way . No way is this a full factory setup- it's a mongrel. An aftermarket heater might be on the cards here....