Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Front brakes, 1951 Champion

Hi:

i just discovered that the right front brake on my 1951 Champion is not working. The automatic sensor seems to have jammed, scoring the drum. I'm not sure why this happened. How do I repair this? Also what parts do I need related to the adjuster mechanism, and where do I find them? The linings on the brakes are o.k., but I might need to get the drum turned or buy a new one.
    I'm new at this, but would appreciate any advice on how to repair and replace the front brakes. Thank you. David Hart

The adjuster should not have scored the drum. The part that touches the drum is softer than the drum.
    When I got my 52 the previous owner did not understand how to set the new adjusters and the brakes did not work correctly. When new adjusters are installed the new "plug" must be pushed all the way out and them filed flush with the surface of the lining.
    You really need the factory manual to refer to. The instructions in there are very specific. The system itself is simple once you understand how it works.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Instead of getting a new Champion front brake drum, you should replace the entire front brakes from backing plate outwards with a set from a 51-53 Commander, or better yet, a set from a 54 and newer V-8 car. It will make a big difference in your braking ability and driving confidence.

Studebaker parts.com will have most everything that you need. Someone on the forum who has changed their front brakes should have a set also.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

David, you have a Private Message.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X