42 President 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R Cubed View Post
    wow guys thanks for all the pics, a real help. Could I ask for a close up of the windscreen wiper switch, headlight switch, ignition switch and the direction turn signal leaver on the steering column.

So as the last post has given a pic of a Commander whats the difference between a Commander and a President ?

Thanks
    I'll get some more pics when I get a chance, it may be a few days.

Biggest difference is under the hood. The Commander had a 6 cylinder, the President had a straight 8 and a longer hood/fenders to accommodate it. Not much difference in the rest of the car.

Comment

Hi all, I have got hold of a wiring diagram for a President but it does not show any turn signal lights or switch inside, any answer to this ?
      Also I have discovered that the ignition switch in the dashboard can be turned to the left and the right from the center upright position is this correct and what is the purpose of this ?

Cheers

Comment

Directional signals were not standard equipment until the mid-50s, and I don't think they were even optional on the 1942 models (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that). Most of the cars of that generation seem to have aftermarket signals, if any at all. The left ignition switch position on many cars provided power to accessories, but not the coil, starter, etc.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Good, so I need to sort out some aftermarket ones, thanks.

I have also noticed the rubber surround for the back window does not fit properly and it leaks, is this the correct rubber seal ? If not can anyone post a picture of what the seal should look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170816_184311.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1716220

Name:	20170816_184322.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1716221

Oh and here is a side view of the car.

Name:	20170817_174457.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1716222

Comment

Hi all, I have been trying to sort out the rear window rubber and some Studebaker's I have seen appear to have the glass set inside the metal seam of the window opening ? could anyone post some pictures of their rear windows or a section of what the window seal should look like.

Also going through the vehicle I have discovered the engine water pump is very stiff to turn and squeaks, does any body know of a part number for a repair kit or a new pump complete ?

Comment

Originally posted by R Cubed View Post
              Hi all, I have been trying to sort out the rear window rubber and some Studebaker's I have seen appear to have the glass set inside the metal seam of the window opening ? could anyone post some pictures of their rear windows or a section of what the window seal should look like.

Also going through the vehicle I have discovered the engine water pump is very stiff to turn and squeaks, does any body know of a part number for a repair kit or a new pump complete ?
              SI lists a rebuild kit for your pump for $60 plus shipping on page 194 of their catalog. You can probably get this kit from other vendors.

EDIT: It has been a long time since I owned a car with this engine. Does the pump have a lubrication point/fitting? You may want to try that first, especially if your pump is not leaking.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Your rear window rubber looks pretty similar to my 41. I suspect it was not installed properly. You could get it redone at an auto glass place or pump some black silicone rubber under it and call it a day.

Turn signals were not even an option. I just use hand signals but if you really want turn signals they make a kit for old Jeeps that will work well. Even supports 6V.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post

Turn signals were not even an option. I just use hand signals but if you really want turn signals they make a kit for old Jeeps that will work well. Even supports 6V.

Nathan
                  The 42 President coupe I posted photos of above has factory turn signals. The Shrocks even cast new plastic switch housings for these cars.

Comment

Hi all, the starter on my President 8 seems to have stopped working grrrr, battery is charged and connections tight, there is a supply to the top right hand small connection ( when foot starter button pressed ) on the solenoid unit on top of the actual starter motor also there is a supply to the left hand small connection too, where does this go to or should it be a ground ?

Name:	20180218_160916.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	1719566 Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_160849.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1719567

Does anyone know where the Overdrive relay would be ? I assume the solenoid, governor and lock out switch are actually on the gearbox ? Where would the O.D. kick down switch be, under the throttle pedal ?
                    Last edited by R Cubed; 03-03-2018, 08:25 AM. Reason: Added more information

Comment

Hi all, is there such a thing as an online workshop manual for my car or a paper version I can get, the ones I have seen for sale don't cover the 42 presidents ?
                      Also would this wiring diagram be the one for my car ?

Name:	41pres-wire.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1719653
                      Cheers

Comment

The '42 information is in a 27 page supplement to the 1941 manual. That means most information from 1941 applies to '42. The supplement contains only information that has changed from '41. That includes a wiring diagram. The one you have is very similar, but there are some differences. Most of the SDC vendors sell new reprints of the manual shown below.

Name:	1941-46.manual.jpg
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1719672
                        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post

Nathan
                          So if turn signals were not even an option back then, which I can understand, how come the speedometer seems to have turn signal arrows in the bottom part of the face ?

Comment

They were an option. AC-1247 for 1942 Commander and President, AC-1248 for '42 Champion. Probably hard to find an original kit.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                              They were an option. AC-1247 for 1942 Commander and President, AC-1248 for '42 Champion. Probably hard to find an original kit.
                              Ar ok, what would the blinkers have been on the rear, would they have been part of the back light units ? on the front would they have used the small white lights under the main headlights ?

Comment

Working...
                              X